Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Optimal opening spell order for bosses?

So I am coming back to wow after being gone for about a year or so. I've done some research and I can't find a definitive answer so I feel like I can continue to keep my opening spell rotation that I use to use. I am just asking if I am correct in my assumption or not.

Before I took my hiatus this was my opening rotation on boss fights:
    If needing to cast CoE then - SF, CoE, immolate, conflag, BoA, corr, CB, incin.
    If not needing to CoE then - SF, BoA, immolate, conflag, corr, CB, incin
    Then upkeep as necessary.

My reasoning with casting an instant between SF and immolate is that, I believe, going straight into immolate the direct dmg from immolate won't benefit from ISF because the SF may not have landed yet if given max distance from boss. Plus, if having to put up CoE, then the CoE should hit before the SF lands as well.

Am I still correct assuming this is the optimal opener? If not, I would love some input into how everyone starts their fights off.

Thank you for your time

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

CoE , insta soulfire , immolate , curruption ,BoD, confrag, incinerate . Thats what I use

10+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing wrong with your opener.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre-pot > pre-cast Incin > combat > Soulburn: Soulfire (or hardcast if no 4pc) > CoE (if needed) Immolate > corruption > BoD (Not BoA as you stated) > Conflagrate > Incinerate x3 > Chaos Bolt.

Shadowflame if in melee range.

You incinerate first because unlike all other debuffs, where they auto update to damage increase taking debuffs per tick (Meaning, put up Immolate first, it ticks, no increased 8% dmg. Put up CoE before the next tick, next tick does 8% increased dmg), the Shadow and Flame 5% crit debuff does not. It's magically weird in that it is treated as a buff iirc, don't won't know it's there until they are refreshed. Kind of an :x on BoD.

The only thing I would suggest is not do Immolate->Conflag. The reason for this is that there is a definite delay between when you cast Immolate and when the server recognizes it's application. For me this delay is about the time of a GCD. I use this time to apply an instant such as Corruption or Bane of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    For me this delay is about the time of a GCD.
    Not quite, but enough to be a goddamn nuisance. I liked to BoD here

Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    Pre-pot > pre-cast Incin > combat > Soulburn: Soulfire (or hardcast if no 4pc) > CoE (if needed) Immolate > corruption > BoD (Not BoA as you stated) > Conflagrate > Incinerate x3 > Chaos Bolt.
    My rotation it's like this, but I don't understand why you cast Incinerate x3 before Chaos Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavalheiro View Post
    My rotation it's like this, but I don't understand why you cast Incinerate x3 before Chaos Bolt.
    Incin3* cuz it benefits more from backdraft than chaos bolt due to its longer cast time chaos bolt doesn't get cast much at all this tier im ranked on a few fights as destroy without using chaos bolt at all

Deleted
    I actually start with a prepot, followed by a precasted SF, while at the same time popping SB pretty much ASAP at pull. Even if I pop SB, I don't have to use SF for 15 seconds (at which point SB fades), which means I can use it to refresh ISF from my first SF which is about to run out.

Other than that the opener is usually Immolate -> BoD -> Conflagrate -> Corruption -> Incineratex3 -> Chaos Bolt.

Any comments to this, perhaps, unusual opener? Yay/nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Same here, sf, immolate, bod, conflag, chaos b, inci
    Sometimes soulburn, immolate, sf, demon soul, conflag, chaos bolt, inci (no idea if this is optimal lol but i went back to destro this week so im still playing with it)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmoos View Post
    Same here, sf, immolate, bod, conflag, chaos b, inci
    Sometimes soulburn, immolate, sf, demon soul, conflag, chaos bolt, inci (no idea if this is optimal lol but i went back to destro this week so im still playing with it)
    For starters, you need to fit a corruption in there somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Ignominious View Post
    For starters, you need to fit a corruption in there somewhere
    omggggg
    i failll sf, immolate, bod, conflag, corrup, chaos b, inci
    here fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Ignominious View Post
    I actually start with a prepot, followed by a precasted SF, while at the same time popping SB pretty much ASAP at pull. Even if I pop SB, I don't have to use SF for 15 seconds (at which point SB fades), which means I can use it to refresh ISF from my first SF which is about to run out.

Other than that the opener is usually Immolate -> BoD -> Conflagrate -> Corruption -> Incineratex3 -> Chaos Bolt.

Any comments to this, perhaps, unusual opener? Yay/nay?
    I do something very similar, only I'm usually saving SB for when my WoU is up to at least 8 stacks so that I can pop my Doomguard with as many buffs as possible if I'm popping him at the beginning of the fight (which I usually do, only exception right now being Hagara). But then I do the same thing, wait till SB is just about done then refresh ISF. I also put CoE right after my precast SF, unless the other lock is there, too, then he does it xD
    You know nothing of the crunch!

Deleted
    I believe I saw a certain Sparkuggz precasting SF on his hagara video as well...!

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Yep. We have a mage precasting pyro so the crit debuff is covered for me, mine looks like:

Prepot -> precast soul fire -> soul burn + demon soul -> immolate -> bane of doom (during delay) -> conflagrate -> corruption -> shadowflame (if in range) -> chaos bolt (if we didn't use hero off the bat) -> usually one or two incinerates depending on what procs are up (see next) -> Doomguard (this is when most of my procs are up and i'll get the most out of him) -> then I get into my normal rotation.

For the moonkin I DI, their opening rotation consists of

rejuv as many people as they while we're getting ready to pull so I can start with a 3 stack DI -> i have no idea what they do next

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post

rejuv as many people as they while we're getting ready to pull so I can start with a 3 stack DI -> i have no idea what they do next
    .....I need to have a nice chat with our boomkin.

Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post
    Yep. We have a mage precasting pyro so the crit debuff is covered for me, mine looks like:

Prepot -> precast soul fire -> soul burn + demon soul -> immolate -> bane of doom (during delay) -> conflagrate -> corruption -> shadowflame (if in range) -> chaos bolt (if we didn't use hero off the bat) -> usually one or two incinerates depending on what procs are up (see next) -> Doomguard (this is when most of my procs are up and i'll get the most out of him) -> then I get into my normal rotation.

That rejuv tip is genius

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    Soulburn: Soulfire (or hardcast if no 4pc) > CoE (if needed)
    That doesn't feel right at all ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmoos View Post
    That rejuv tip is genius
    I agree, I hadn't thought of this either. Anything I can do to get DI :P.

I for one welcome our new Warlock overlords.

i do: Pre-pot>start casting soulfire 2 sec before pull>Use BoD in GCD>Immolate>Corruption in GCD>CoE>Demon Soul>Chaos Bolt>conflag in GCD>start spamming incinerate. I use my DG any time i have my Corrupted mind trinket proc up , Power torrent , Pot and lightweave proc up and heroism if we use that in the begin of a fight ( Like on Ultraxion ). If there's a certain point where im going to need the dps instead ( Like in ph3 of rag hc ) and it'll be within 6 min of the pull i wont use and wait for the required point and use my pot again and then summon it , preferbly with other procs and buffs
    Last edited by mitbrandir; 2012-02-28 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot cd's