Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    A event like that would create riots and instant panic to anyone, I would gather as much supplies as I could to survive how ever long it will last for, you would pretty much need anything that can make fire, and lots of it. Obviously something would be done about it if it was world wide as this world has no other option other then electric.

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 04:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Paigeyotto View Post
    The world would resort to solar and wind power to generate electricity.

Did I win?
    Pretty much lol

I'd go to fetal position and stay like that for a few weeks while suffering from internet withdrawal.

Laugh at all those that only kept their pron on their computers as I setup and sell viewings of my printed pron to the ever deprived masses.

But really for a year many places and people would completely lose it.

Be fun? Ok maybe back hundred years ago or so when it was not such a integrated part of our life it would be. This is course going off the assumption that there is zero electricity meaning no one finds a way to recover it.
    Once the general panic and mass rioting is over.
    Food? Spoiled and no longer able to keep up with the large global masses.
    Cooling and Heating again not able to keep up with the global masses (young, old etc)
    Medical needs, drained.
    Water, no more hot water less you want to warm on a camp fire. In addition would think most of the water treatment plants would cease to function and as a result make even the distribution of water harder or cease in some areas.
    No transportation aside from those with horses which will add even more to the lack of support for people.

Would the world end? no, but it would be drastically less populated as a result.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I hope all of these are joke responses. Die if the electricity went out? Lol. I think it'd be fun. What would I do? Carry on living, just with more free time.
    You would most likely have a lot less free time. I know I would have to spend a lot of time planting food, hunting, and chopping firewood just like they did before electronics were invented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I hope all of these are joke responses. Die if the electricity went out? Lol. I think it'd be fun. What would I do? Carry on living, just with more free time.
    Such a storm would wipe out all transportation. Any modern vehicle would not work; older vehicles from the 50s and 60s, might be able to work if the battery can be recharged. As would some military vehicles, as many are shielded from EMP effects.

What does this mean? Major metropolitan areas would not be able to get food shipped in. This would inevitably result in mass starvation. Everyone you know who needs insulin will soon die. You would literally have billions of people die from starvation. Massive farms that use combines and the like would be back to horse and man power for harvesting, and wouldn't be able to harvest anything like they used to until modern farm equipment was repaired. We are an interconnected world, and very much rely on other people and prducts from other regions and nations to survive. Most modern cities would become ghost towns.

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Paigeyotto View Post
    The world would resort to solar and wind power to generate electricity.

Did I win?
    No. Any such solar storm would've fried the wind turbines and solar panels. And if any survived, anything they could power would be dead. And even if they were all fine and dandy, there are so few that billions would've died.

And the transportation system wouldn't be helped.

Result: No, you don't win.
    Last edited by Aeka; 2012-02-27 at 06:59 PM.

soooooooooooooooooo many people would be dead. The ones that survived would either be fighting for resources or working together like a tribe. So better hope you can bring something to a tribe like hunting skills / building skills / BoStaff Skills / something productive that would save other people and help them out skills.

Zombies = people from the city

daytime/ not raining/ no riots then:

get a tan or swim for a while.
    drink a pop while it's still cold

10+ Year Old Account
    After the nervous breakdown I'd probably read a lot. Then when I read all the books I'd probably slit my wrists.

Since im an electrcian i guess take off a year since theres nothing for me to work on.....oh wait i have no internet what will i do with all that time..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    You would most likely have a lot less free time. I know I would have to spend a lot of time planting food, hunting, and chopping firewood just like they did before electronics were invented.
    ...what? It is very much possible to quickly get electricity back to supermarkets, gas stations and even the most important things in peoples houses to power (fridge & stove), etc. Whilst perhaps planting some food just in case, I am absolutely confident that I wouldn't need it. I think it wouldn't be worse than people needing to spend (some of) their savings because mainly food and diesel would become more expensive, as well as a lot of people losing their job due to lack of demand/functioning facilities.
    Last edited by Cusco; 2012-02-28 at 03:52 AM.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post

No. Any such solar storm would've fried the wind turbines and solar panels. And if any survived, anything they could power would be dead. And even if they were all fine and dandy, there are so few that billions would've died.

And the transportation system wouldn't be helped.

Result: No, you don't win.
    Because it's so impossible to rebuild new ones and such in less than a year, right?
    Not everything is made in factories by robots. Just ask the asians that work for Apple for 1.75$ an hour.

I'm glad the scenario didn't stipulate that all energy on the planet would cease to exist. That would cause the planet to become as devoid of life as a box of rocks passed through an acid bath and bleach shower.

As far as what I'd do if the power went out, I'd rely on my wife to tell me what to do. She has the outdoor skills. I'm just the lousy computer programmer (in training, anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    a freak solar storm with just the right qualities hit earth and knocked out all power grids worldwide. you have no TV, no computer, no internet, no light, no kitchen appliances (except for a possible gas stove). it's said it would take at least a year before all power is back to your city at home.

what will you do?
    Rape murder and pillage my friend...rape murder and pillage.

There's a really great documentary series title "Connections". The first episode is title "The Trigger Effect" (I think it was a pilot that lead to three series). It opens with a discussion of a blackout in New York that lasted a few hours and then moves on to the question "What if power doesn't come back? How long can you survive and what would it take to start the whole thing back up?"

The opening salvo before the dance through history starts is what I always hear in my mind whenever somebody says something like: "I'd go to the woods and live off the land" or "I'd stockpile ammo and take what I need".

(skip to 3 minutes, 15 seconds)

In the case of something "harmless" like the power going out we're doomed. Add in something actively hostile like a zombie horde or a virulent pathogen and our life span is best measured in weeks. And we're all assuming things go bad when we're ready for it. Suppose you're taking an elevator up to your girlfriends 15th floor apartment when the power goes out. Can you expect to make it out of that box without falling to your death? It's not like you've practised that before. Suppose you're in a hospital having a minor procedure (colonoscopy) or in a jet 30,000 feet above the ocean. What if you're having lunch 20 miles from home: can you even make it back to your home without being robbed or beaten?

Even if you realize you've got to work together, and even if you have the good fortune to find yourself in a leadership position with a couple dozen people, how long do you last? Look at the length of reigns for kings in Europe when the normans showed up. How long does a typical African war lord last? You've got no reason to believe you'd be anywhere near that well prepared - I'd argue that 99.9% of "us" (wealthy computer using nerds that browse video game websites for fun) are doomed in less than 5 years. Most wouldn't live long enough to see a baby's second Christmas.

Fortunately we've designed a system that global catastrophic failure is unlikely.

Deleted
    a freak solar storm with just the right qualities hit earth and knocked out all power grids worldwide.
    That's not even possible worldwide. Maybe it's possible in the United States, where the outdated electricity net still runs above ground.

But where I live, we got everything running below ground. And we all know the Earth simply absorbs suchs a storm. No harm done.

Aside from all the raids and panicking...I think it could actualy be pretty nice. Without the Internet to distract me...or any technology for that matter.... I'd finally have time to draw this big 300+ page comic I've always wanted to make.

And would food really be instantly gone? I imagine they'd organize some kind of way to pass food out for the first month... And now one would really go on looting spree or killing spree if the power was GOING to come back eventually. I'd imagine the majority of people would be like us. Just people who want to protect themselves and would be able to act civilized for the time being rather than crazy psycho killers. Maybe neighbors would all live together until the power came back. I imagine it'd be safer to be in big groups. There would definitely be a few dangerous people who break into homes with guns and take what they want since law enforcement couldnt be summoned by phone. But if people did group up with neighbors, I doubt they'd want to try and rob a big group of 20 people with (hopefully) firearms of their own.

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    That's not even possible worldwide. Maybe it's possible in the United States, where the outdated electricity net still runs above ground.

But where I live, we got everything running below ground. And we all know the Earth simply absorbs suchs a storm. No harm done.
    I think thats besides the point. The point isn't how this happens or how realistic it is...its what you would do if it did happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    a freak solar storm with just the right qualities hit earth and knocked out all power grids worldwide. you have no TV, no computer, no internet, no light, no kitchen appliances (except for a possible gas stove). it's said it would take at least a year before all power is back to your city at home.

what will you do?
    I would read a book instead of watch TV. The horror.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

three words

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS

Deleted
    probably go to my friends and have a beer lolidk... I'll see whatever comes up in my mind.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let the dogs breed for an endless food supply