Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Since 15 dollars is hardly a dent into my disposable income, and because I play WoW for at MINIMUM 9 hours every week (raiding, not including what I may do outside of raid times) I have been subbed constantly since I first got the game in 2004.

Even if I only played for raid times that is 36 hours a month for 15 dollars. That in itself is not bad at all. Realistically though, I play closer to 100 hours a month.

I have never lost interest in the game. And to be honest since WoW keeps me so entertained, I don't feel the need to purchase new games when they come out at 45-60 dollars, and wait and buy them at 20-25 dollars a few months later.

While my current account is fairly recent (started it up when I got cataclysm) I did at one stage have an account which has existed since late 04. I gave it to my brother as he was much more into the game than I was and so now he pays for it. However every month since late 04 has been paid for, it has never had a break.

If you honestly sit here looking at those who have long lasting accounts and think "GEE WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY" then I feel sorry for you.

If 15 dollars a month is a lot of money for you, then your income is horrendous.

Got the game Early-Mid 2005 ... I started when I was 13 and parents wouldn't let me use a Credit Card .. Needless to say however I always bought a new Time Card before the previous ran out ... In that time I have only allowed my subscription to run out once when I took a "Break for School work in Grade 12" ... That only lasted a month till I was back on and powering in-game again lol.

It's not absurd to think people have stayed subbed for the entire time the games been out ... I LOVED Vanilla/TBC ... WOTLK not as good Gameplay wise but still had TONS of fun and met an awesome bunch of people whom are probably one of few reasons that I am now still subbed today.

If people in RL can have some of the same friends (Myself included) whom they've known since preschool or Junior School, and are now 18,19,20 or even double that age .. Is it unrealistic to think people have made some really awesome in-game friends that they would stay subbed to keep playing with? Nope ... And that's pretty cool if you ask me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeroyLenkins View Post
    Yes. Also, even if someone is subscribed for just the past few years (let's say since WotLK was released) without a single break. Even that makes no sense to me.
    just because you unsub/sub to save money doesn't mean others have the same feeling, some people don't even care about money (might be hard to believe)

subbed on and off since TBC

As someone pointed out a few pages back, the Asian billing model would cost me more per month than the current fee, as I play well over 20 hours per week. From when I started playing, in May 2007, there hasn't been a single month where the pay-per-hour system wouldn't have cost me more. What 'makes sense' depends on more variables than the OP anticipated, it seems.

/shrug

I haven't ever cancelled my sub. I started the year WoW released. I've always been able to find enough to do every month to warrant paying half the price of a typical console or handheld game-- especially since those don't usually last indefinitely. Some months are pretty quiet, sure, but I always want to be available for raid, or if I want to pop on an level a toon for a bit.

So you have decided that because you as an individual has not enjoyed the game enough to continuously subscribe that you then pick fault with those of us who have ?
    You then call us fanboys and yet preach about the virtues of every supossed "wow killer" that comes along.
    You are the ones that need to get a life.

We enjoy the game.
    You do not.
    Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    So you have decided that because you as an individual has not enjoyed the game enough to continuously subscribe that you then pick fault with those of us who have ?
    You then call us fanboys and yet preach about the virtues of every supossed "wow killer" that comes along.
    You are the ones that need to get a life.

We enjoy the game.
    You do not.
    Simple as that.
    People with differing opinions probably shatter his fragile ego so he has to belittle anyone that disagrees to maintain his feeling of superiority. It's like the people that go around telling everyone that they're mindless sheep for enjoying something they do not. In the end it's really their own minds making up reality in order to ensure the person never has to think or develop the ability to see things through other's eyes. They instead spend their lives in a bubble of self righteousness thinking they are always right and that it's their mission to "educate" the mindless masses.
    "An orc - a true orc warrior - wishes for one thing: To die in the glory of battle against a hated enemy." -Varok Saurfang

So, you spent $2070 on subscription costs? You have my sympathy.
    It's better than spending that much in a few months going to pubs and movies

Quote Originally Posted by Kenasan View Post
    People with differing opinions probably shatter his fragile ego so he has to belittle anyone that disagrees to maintain his feeling of superiority. It's like the people that go around telling everyone that they're mindless sheep for enjoying something they do not. In the end it's really their own minds making up reality in order to ensure the person never has to think or develop the ability to see things through other's eyes. They instead spend their lives in a bubble of self righteousness thinking they are always right and that it's their mission to "educate" the mindless masses.
    Rampant fanboyism blinds many as to what good worthwhile products really are. That's why certain companies can charge huge premiums for products (ie: Apple for example) if they know they have the hook on consumers. It's pathetic really, because fans of said products are deluded into believing that nothing else can come close to the experience, which is a load of BS, but they believe it in their heart. People treat these brands like it's their religion (click). And they would happily be nickle and dimed into paying far more for a product than they need to. Ignorance is bliss.

Companies feed into this obsession and exploit it for it's full potential (click). Here's also an interesting documentary you might like to watch on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dUuHo58UE

So, in the end, I'm not the one who's "making up reality" as you put it. It's the deluded fans who have their heads shoved so far up the companies asses, that they can't tell what's what anymore. And they're deluded into thinking that paying $15 per month for their small slice of "enjoyment" is worth it, when in fact the company is overcharging and you can get a similar (almost identical) experience elsewhere for far far cheaper. I'm not just talking about WoW, I'm talking about all products now, across the spectrum.

As I said earlier in this thread, in the analogy I made about Skyrim; If Bethesda decided they wanted to charge people an additional $15 per month just to play the game, there would be an uproar. No one would be going around saying "Hey, $15 is a cheap price to pay for the entertainment I get", people would be complaining. And rightly so, considering the many alternatives that don't require those fees.
    Last edited by JeeroyLenkins; 2012-02-29 at 09:48 PM.

Rampant fanboyism blinds many as to what good worthwhile products really are. That's why certain companies can charge huge premiums for products (ie: Apple for example) if they know they have the hook on consumers. It's pathetic really, because fans of said products are deluded into believing that nothing else can come close to the experience, which is a load of BS, but they believe it in their heart. People treat these brands like it's their religion (click). And they would happily be nickle and dimed into paying far more for a product than they need to. Ignorance is bliss.

Companies feed into this obsession and exploit it for it's full potential (click). Here's also an interesting documentary you might like to watch on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dUuHo58UE

So, in the end, I'm not the one who's "making up reality" as you put it. It's the deluded fans who have their heads shoved so far up the companies asses, that they can't tell what's what anymore. And they're deluded into thinking that paying $15 per month for their small slice of "enjoyment" is worth it, when in fact the company is overcharging and you can get a similar (almost identical) experience elsewhere for far far cheaper. I'm not just talking about WoW, I'm talking about all products now, across the spectrum.

As I said earlier in this thread, in the analogy I made about Skyrim; If Bethesda decided they wanted to charge people an additional $15 per month just to play the game, there would be an uproar. No one would be going around saying "Hey, $15 is a cheap price to pay for the entertainment I get", people would be complaining. And rightly so, considering the many alternatives that don't require those fees.
    Thank you for proving my point.
    "An orc - a true orc warrior - wishes for one thing: To die in the glory of battle against a hated enemy." -Varok Saurfang

Quote Originally Posted by Kenasan View Post
    Thank you for proving my point.
    You proved me point, buddy. Did you even bother to read the links I posted? Just as I said earlier, ignorance is bliss. People like you like to remain woefully ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by billy0410 View Post
    It's better than spending that much in a few months going to pubs and movies
    You get what you pay for.

Drinking beer with RL friends > raiding.

Recruiting all casters
    9 hours/week

Skyrim is a closed world where you play only with yourself (hee hee), so the comparison is poor. If Bethesda decided to charge $15/month for Skyrim, that is their business. If it works, great, if not, who cares?

The subscription model has generally been accepted for MMOs for over the last decade. Nobody is forcing you to pay for it. You believe you can get a similar (almost identical) game to WOW for far cheaper. That's a fantastic opinion, and I applaud you for it.

Next thing you know this guy is going to be telling me I'm stupid for preferring Lucky Charms when I can get Magic Stars (which is almost identical) for roughly $2 cheaper. I think Lucky Charms tastes better. Sue me.
    Last edited by Riekul; 2012-02-29 at 10:24 PM.

You proved me point, buddy. Did you even bother to read the links I posted? Just as I said earlier, ignorance is bliss. People like you like to remain woefully ignorant.
    Yes keep telling yourself that everyone that feels differently about the value of their money and what they are willing to spend it on is dumber than you. You're clearly highly educated in news reports and youtube videos and are there for more enlightened than anyone else. Nothing about that is at all delusional or ridiculous I assure you.
    Last edited by Kenasan; 2012-02-29 at 10:42 PM.

I always cancel my subscription every time I get a month. If my sub runs out and for a couple of days I can't or don't want to play then I'd rather not waste my money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    You get what you pay for.

Drinking beer with RL friends > raiding.
    In your opinion, but not everybody drinks, and not everybody has friends, Plus you pay roughly 50 cents a day for wow and get more than 2 hours in a day, while you pay 9-16$ for a movie thats entertains you for 2hrs

I did subscribe from launch day all those years ago, but rather fortunately I have found greener pastures elsewhere and subsequently had cancelled the sub a month ago. I have to say, what a ride!

10+ Year Old Account
    I took about a 3 month break at the end of Classic then came back in and have been solid since. I just don't see a point of unsubscribing simply because other people dislike the game (or feel the need to tell people they should dislike it).

Also, $1980.00 (or whatever the actual number is) is not any significant amount of money. I have friends that toss 50$ on cigarettes weekly (small potatos to some smokers) and don't get me started on how expensive alcohol can be.

WoW is a hobby, thats all there is to it. You can't mock or begrudge people for putting money into something they enjoy. Nor does their enjoyment warrant your 'sympathy'.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Played since the start of vanilla and have been on-off WoW almost every summer, when its warm outside I don't feel like sitting inside and rather ride my bike with friends or my girlfriend. Most time I play in winter and the only raids instances I've missed are Hyjal, Black Temple and the last 4 bosses of Ulduar. I recently started to play again after 2 months of SW:TOR and the same day I started playing WoW again I killed DW in LFR. I really miss the ICC days, best instance ever.