Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Forsaken Monks; A Niche Much Needed

I've seen it quite a few times now. People saying the forsaken are the least proper race for monks. Why is that?

Because most people can't think outside the box.

The pandaren monks are known for harnessing their chi to bring balance to themselves and to the world around them, and the forsaken will learn martial arts from them.

But that doesn't mean the forsaken will have the same ideals as the pandaren.

What if their general intention (excluding particular cases) is to disrupt balance instead of bringing it? If you can manipulate chi to keep things balanced, than you can do it to unbalance it all.

The forsaken did the same with the Church of the Holy Light. They got the original, general idea, twisted it in favor of the shadow, added some divine humanism into it and behold: they made a new religion, the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow!

Here are the possible niches they may occupy from MoP on:

• Monks who desire to harness the dark chi and use it as a destructive weapon.
    • Monks who wish to train themselves so as to defeat their mind control weakness (natural to all of the undead).
    • Jiangshi-like monks who use val'kyr-blessed seals of chi to raise other forsaken without needing to bring val'kyr to the battlefront. (jiangshi are a type of hopping undead from chinese folklore)

so, down with the "forsaken monks don't fit"!

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Who has been saying this? seriously?
    2. How you gonna monk with no muscles for your punches?
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    They still have muscles, as they are not skeletal.

You know, I have yet to see someone seriously say Forsaken shouldn't be Monks. I've seen a few players mildly amused at the idea of a zombie performing martial arts, but that's about the extent of it.

At any rate, I don't think they need to corrupt the arts of the Monk like you seem to be suggesting. The Forsaken are not, and should not, be one monolithic entity all with the same views and motivations. Why can't some Forsaken decide that attaining an inner peace through the Pandaren teachings will help them cope with the fact they are undead?

---------- Post added 2012-03-01 at 03:54 AM ----------

Same way they can be Warriors with decaying muscles. You can't use normal logic when it comes to corpses reanimated by magic.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't even use wow lore as an example, druids and taurens are creatures that harness the magic of NATURE, not Light, NATURE! So technically speaking neither race should be paladins, so don't expect anything, blizzard can't even follow their own guidelines.

you can't debate with a game that sends you dragons via mail

10+ Year Old Account
    The monk culture revolves around perfecting your body and spirit alike. The latter part actually really fits the Forsaken, largely due to their belief in the principle of divine humanism. Basically, the Forsaken believe that every living being actually posses the power to alter the surrounding world through the sheer power of will.

As for the body, I don't think that the Forsaken, or even most of the undead, are actually just animated rotting carcasses. Decomposition of their bodies is prevented by the necromantic energies, as well as already mentioned will to survive and rise to power. It forms a perfect synergy with spiritual improvement.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    The mailbox is fairly large i mean it can carry all that mail like 20,000 peoples mail, im sure we can fit a dragon somewhere in that pile. oh yeah and my ponies/monk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chukabi View Post
    You can't even use wow lore as an example, druids and taurens are creatures that harness the magic of NATURE, not Light, NATURE! So technically speaking neither race should be paladins, so don't expect anything, blizzard can't even follow their own guidelines.
    Night Elves can't be Paladins to begin with.

Tauren Paladins/Priests are only so by IN-GAME LIMITATIONS. By lore, they are Sunwalkers, or Druids of the Sun.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything...please learn your lore before making posts regarding lore.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Ever seen a zombiemovie?
    Zombies alomost allways have superhuman strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    It only sends REINS for dragons.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

1)It's WOW fandom. Somebody somewhere screamed it allll over some forum, guaranteed.
    2)Same way you swing your two 2.5 metre long swords?

---------- Post added 2012-03-01 at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chukabi View Post
    NEs aren't. Taurens channel the light of the Sun instead of Holy.
    It works.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that idea was defeated when Undead could become Warriors, Rogues, DKs, and now Hunters. Hell even casters, need to lift their arms to cast shit.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

2) Black magic. Explanation for EVERYTHING.

How would you like to be punched in the face by solid bone? Didn't think you'd enjoy it very much.

I could easily see somebody struggling with an existential crises due to suddenly being an undead being having a crises of faith and turning to the teachings of monks.

Not all Forsaken necessarily have to go down a path of purging all emotions besides hatred.

Willpower. Darth Vader choked people to death without moving a single muscle/servo of his body. Same applies to Forsaken Monks. Their self control and willpower enables them to animate their own body in a manner of living flesh martial arts master. They just skip brain-neurons-muscle typical path. They just move entire limb to perform an attack. Different mechanic - same result.

And I think that Forsaken are perfect for Monks. Due to their undead status, cold, emotionless logic and amazing self control. Will of the Forsaken (if it can brake stun it can also be used even further).

Quote Originally Posted by RadmaKanow View Post
    Willpower. Darth Vader choked people to death without moving a single muscle/servo of his body. Same applies to Forsaken Monks. Their self control and willpower enables them to animate their own body in a manner of living flesh martial arts master. They just skip brain-neurons-muscle typical path. They just move entire limb to perform an attack. Different mechanic - same result.
    Huh... and here I thought it was due to Forstmourne juicing up their corpses back in the day... :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see anything wrong with forsaken being monks at all. Weren't there human monks in sm or some scarlet dungeon? Forsaken are still human like.

Lorewise, Forsaken priests can only be shadow because they can't summon the Light. In a similar way, they could learn some martial arts from the pandaren and use them for their own interests. Of course, you are not going to remove the class from them or make a different kind of monk just for it to make perfect sense lorewise.

Gameplay has to be there for it to be a game, if you want a good solid story, go read a book.