View Poll Results: Is it socially acceptable to be fat?

Voters
502. This poll is closed
  • Yes

113 22.51%
  • No

200 39.84%
  • Yes, but...

124 24.70%
  • No, but...

65 12.95%
Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

"Fat People are Disgusting".... Discrimination?

Recently I was talking with a friend about those who are more larger endowed around the midsection, and other areas... fat people. Obese, overweight, whatever you call it for anyone who is skinny impaired. Now before I continue I am not some muscle head, 20 pack, fresh out of Jersey, in fact I could lose some fat percentages, however good news! I hate my body, but am in the process of fixing this imperfection!

Back on subject! While we were at work we tend to see a variety of people each day, and one thing that always sticks to me are the ones who let themselves go. While I would never say this to their face, it did come up in some conservation, and I mentioned "I can't believe how anyone could let themselves get to that state of health". After I mentioned this he jokingly said I was discriminating against anyone who is overweight, while the exact context was not referring to their sex, age, or race I got to thinking how it is becoming more and more common, "normal", to be fat. Here is the part where I insert some statistic about how 50 years ago people were not fat.

The question I am asking is should this ideal of letting fellow members of society gorge themselves on food be acceptable? I personally think it should be acceptable, as if someone wants to do that to themselves, more power to them. While it is my own choice to do what I do, I do not believe anyone should make solo personal life-changing decisions due to pressure from others. I do think it is gross, but I have many friends who are fat and happy, and many who are skinny and sad. The point being do what you want to do with yourself, and face the consequences good or bad!

You cannot legally be discriminated against due to weight.

Social stigma is a little different.

I'm not going to tell others how they must treat their bodies.

People can do what they want really. Their bodies, their lives. The most important thing is to not hate. That solves absolutely nothing and, if anything, makes the problem worse.

For example: let's say this thread gets filled with people saying 'fat people are fucking disgusting, they need to sort themselves out or kill themselves'. Hatred, intolerance, and utterly horrible.

Now imagine an overweight person reads this thread. What is their reaction going to be? Are they going to be motivated because some faceless guy said they should kill themselves? Or are they just going to get depressed, insulted, hurt, and probably end up eating even more to make themselves feel better in the short term?

Chances are pretty high it'll be option 2. It's even worse if you do this in person: imagine if someone is working hard to get healthier, to get back in shape, when some random idiot comes along and calls them fat. Congratulations, idiot: you've just destroyed all their hard work in building up their confidence to get to that stage. Now they'll go right back to being unhealthy.

I'm not saying we should be coddling people, telling them it's perfectly ok to be unhealthy. What I'm saying is I just wish there was far less hatred in the world. Far less thoughtless insults thrown about at others, for utterly pointless reasons. A lot more support and acceptance.

As far as my opinion on obesity goes, yeah: people shouldn't let themselves get fat. But the fact is there may well be so many different reasons for why they've done it, that for someone to thoughtlessly throw insults at them is ignorant at best, and downright cruel at worst.

Furthermore, what society calls fat can actually be entirely healthy. I know a fair few people who I would class as beautiful, healthy people, but a lot would say are fat.

At the end of the day, people can be whoever they want to be. Nobody has the right to judge others based on a seconds-long look in their general direction. And it is never ok to insult or hate. All hatred does is ruin things. It makes people, including yourself, feel bad. It solves nothing and only creates problems. So why hate?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Already established that :P.

While I genuinely agree that it's true in theory. Don't be so naive.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    While I genuinely agree that it's true in theory. Don't be so naive.
    What are you talking about? I said legally, and then said a social stigma is a different beast all together. Read before commenting.

Deleted
    I don't like when overweight people start with the excuses :

-I have bad metabolism!
    -My body has betrayed me!
    -It's in my genes, I can't do anything about it!
    -I can't get any muscles because it's my metabodygenelism!

And so on.

"People didn't used to be fat" is so horrifically wrong I'm not even sure I should be replying here. Look at black & white photos from the frontier days, TONS of overweight and even obese people. Sure, the percentage has certainly gone up clinically and statistically speaking, but the fact that you could make that statement with such casual certainty is... well... let's just say you're probably not operating from a factual perspective.

Deleted
    How is that different from all other forms of harassment?

What are you talking about? I said legally, and then said a social stigma is a different beast all together. Read before commenting.
    In Germany its marked as mobbing, which can be taken to court.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenti View Post
    "People didn't used to be fat" is so horrifically wrong I'm not even sure I should be replying here. Look at black & white photos from the frontier days, TONS of overweight and even obese people. Sure, the percentage has certainly gone up clinically and statistically speaking, but the fact that you could make that statement with such casual certainty is... well... let's just say you're probably not operating from a factual perspective.
    Read the next paragraph!! I promise you won't be disappointed!

Deleted
    The real problem here is that you're assuming that people are 'just letting themselves' go.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than "letting fellow members of society gorge themselves with food" - in today's world, the cheaper products are often the most unhealthy ones, so where being festively plumb was once a sign that you could afford more food than you actually needed, today its on a large scale a sign of people not being able to afford the RIGHT nutrition. There is a reason that the groups that are by and large the poorest, at least in the US, are also the ones that are mostly overweight and prone to diabetes and heart disease. Look it up..

Also, you can't assume that people have the same life or schedule as you. You might be able to hit the gym once in a while, but if you're working a full time minimum wage job which often is accompanied by a second job, you're not really in a position to take some leisure time and hit the treadmill.

Of course, there are also people who are just unable to watch the shit they eat.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you can't be sure what's going on in other people's life, and you shouldn't make assumptions that subtract from your respect for fellow human beings.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Congratulations, idiot: you've just destroyed all their hard work in building up their confidence to get to that stage. Now they'll go right back to being unhealthy.
    On the flip side of that they may just very well put more effort into losing the weight. There is no definite response.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Nobody has the right to judge others based on a seconds-long look in their general direction
    I do have the right to judge others however I see fit. Too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short. I can choose to judge them. Now if the MAJORITY agree with my judgment then maybe, just maybe, they might want to lose some weight.

Honestly I think this trend of fat being "okay" is despicable. Why are we as a society just letting everyone balloon up and be completely unhealthy? Not going to talk about the whole "Oh it's my genes or thyroid etc etc" issue. As a whole most people can choose to put down the Dunkin Donuts and pick up a healthy snack instead of gorging on processed foods and sugars. If they feel they can not then it is simply a matter of having a lack of discipline and willpower and I judge them for that too.

Also - If you clicked "Yes" on this poll, you're a part of the problem.
    Last edited by Astounded; 2012-03-05 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Update

Except that people are legally discriminated for many things. It's "legal" because nothing ever comes from it. w/e, just semantics :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    The real problem here is that you're assuming that people are 'just letting themselves' go.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than "letting fellow members of society gorge themselves with food" - in today's world, the cheaper products are often the most unhealthy ones, so where being festively plumb was once a sign that you could afford more food than you actually needed, today its on a large scale a sign of people not being able to afford the RIGHT nutrition. There is a reason that the groups that are by and large the poorest, at least in the US, are also the ones that are mostly overweight and prone to diabetes and heart disease. Look it up..

Also, you can't assume that people have the same life or schedule as you. You might be able to hit the gym once in a while, but if you're working a full time minimum wage job which often is accompanied by a second job, you're not really in a position to take some leisure time and hit the treadmill.

Of course, there are also people who are just unable to watch the shit they eat.

Anyway, at the end of the day, you can't be sure what's going on in other people's life, and you shouldn't make assumptions that subtract from your respect for fellow human beings.
    As I wrote in the other thread that is related to this, I just don't see how eating healthy can be more expensive than eating out all the time. I just don't buy that people can't AFFORD to eat right.

It's not about hitting the gym. If you watch what you eat and keep yourself active (walking instead of going by car in example) you'll be already in a much better condition than if you don't do that. It's that simple.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    As I wrote in the other thread that is related to this, I just don't see how eating healthy can be more expensive than eating out all the time. I just don't buy that people can't AFFORD to eat right.

It's not about hitting the gym. If you watch what you eat and keep yourself active (walking instead of going by car in example) you'll be already in a much better condition than if you don't do that. It's that simple.
    This all day.

You don't have to go to a gym to be in shape. There are plenty of resources out there for people to learn proper body weight exercises. Hell, just go run and do some damn push-ups, air squats, pull ups on a regular basis and you'll be fine.

People who "don't have time to work out" are the biggest liars since Nixon. If you can't find time to go for a simple 30 minute walk a day, then I would like to shake your hand, that is assuming I can get scheduled in within the next few months. As for the unhealthy diets, I do agree that it is in that current state, but it is possible to still live a healthy lifestyle on "Great Value" food.

Deleted
    If you watch what you eat and keep yourself active (walking instead of going by car in example) you'll be already in a much better condition than if you don't do that. It's that simple.
    You don't have to be active at all, you can sit around the whole day and still lose weight just by eating right.
    I'm skinnier than the vast majority of people, yet I don't work out at all.

Personally, I don't care if someone is fat.
    It's not my business, and therefore not my place to judge them.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2012-03-05 at 09:41 AM.

fresh fruits and veggies at the grocery store costs 3x as much as all of the prepared sweets and starch heavy pastas and canned foods that are high in salt. if you actually went gorcery shopping you would know this

Firstly, you don't need to go to the gym to be fit or healthy. You need to eat properly.
    Secondly, just because fast food is cheap and convenient, does not mean it's the cheapest source of food.
    Thirdly, most people are fat because they are lazy and/or stupid, or at the very least uninformed.
    Fourth, the whole "time issue" is bullshit. It takes 10 minutes to whip up a healthy meal. Fat fucks spend at least ten times that waddling around at half the speed of others all day... not to mention the time it takes to get fast food.
    Fifth, there are legitimate reasons for being overweight. Some people do have metabolism or glandular issues that cause, or are a factor in, their weight issues. That being said, most fatties are fat because they eat shit, not because of medical issues.
    Sixth, PIZZA IS NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE. FOR FUCK SAKE. FOR FUCK SAKE.

As to the question of "Is it Discriminatory...?"
    Yes, it is. Treating someone differently based on their weight is 100% discriminatory.
    Letting in be known that fatties need to eat healthy and stop bitching about being fatties? Jury's still out on that one.

As an aside, "Discrimination", as viewed and defined by the general public, pisses me off.
    How is it ok to call someone too skinny, but not ok to call them too fat?
    How is it ok to judge someone based on their hair colour, but not their skin colour?

People are dumbasses.
    Fatties are fat. Eat healthy, you dumbfucks. Pizza is NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE.
    Last edited by saberon; 2012-03-05 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

I dont tend to take issue with fat people being fat unless they complain about being fat all the time and do nothing about it. which sadly, happens a lot imo.