Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Bad for melee with bad latency.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

@vizzle,

Well it really depends on how good is their engine at countering latency. They could for example make melee abilities have a variable "range" depending on your current detected latency. They could also "remember" your position relative to your opponents at a given time and, based on your latency, make your abilities hit as if you were still at that state instead of the current real-time state.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    @vizzle,

Well it really depends on how good is their engine at countering latency. They could for example make melee abilities have a variable "range" depending on your current detected latency. They could also "remember" your position relative to your opponents at a given time and, based on your latency, make your abilities hit as if you were still at that state instead of the current real-time state.
    Hopefully they'll do something. It'll suck missing people because they have 50 latency more than you, and your big hitter ability went off anyway.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Finally another learning curve in an mmo instead of just getting used to the game/class

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Unless it's the only Mob in the way of the ability

But yes, all the spells and abilities can be cast out of combat without a target. It gives the game an extra feel of realism to it that I personally prefer instead of the giant red text of 'target not in range' 'target not in range' over and over when I am chasing after someone or thing. I'd rather know that my ability missed
    because I did something wrong than only be able to use it when I am in range and just spam abilities.

That, and it gives me a little something extra to add into roleplays

This ^, though for some CD based abilities I do feel it should warn you & prevent the action.

Anything under 45 seconds I feel is fine to just let it go off, but after that it could prove to be hell if you get a sudden lag spike.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Bad for melee with bad latency.
    Don't play an mmo with bad latency I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword View Post
    Don't play an mmo with bad latency I love it.
    Considering the best I can get from an Asian country would be 200ms-300ms, i have no choice.

Sounds logical enough. I really need to try this out to see how it works. One thing that does piss me off in WoW is when you're AoEing a pack (as melee), and the one you're targetting moves out so you can't do anything, and thank's to the wall of spell effects, you couldn't even see that it's gone, only that you can no longer cast anything.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Considering the best I can get from an Asian country would be 200ms-300ms, i have no choice.
    It's not something they'll probably change the game to fix, but they're probably going to be optimizing their servers a lot more than other MMOs.

I get 250 MS in WoW and I play on a datacenter located on the same coast as me, hopefully GW2 won't be as terrible. :\

Deleted
    I love that this plus the fact that certain professions can trait for "penetration", which hopefully makes your shot penetrate through multiple players out to max range, gives ranged some serious power if you can line the right kind of shot up.
    Railguns. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The 1 key has no CD or resource, OP. So technically one can smash that if they wished.
    I doubt that you'll win any fights by smashing 1 though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I doubt that you'll win any fights by smashing 1 though.
    Almost all other skills have fairly long cooldowns though.
    Also the 1 key can be pressed by some, if not all, professions while you activate other attacks.
    It's off the "global cooldown" so to speak.
    So you'll probably have to smash that button if you want to really do some damage. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Winterheart View Post
    So you'll probably have to smash that button if you want to really do some damage. :/
    To do damage, yeah, but if you're just hitting 1 the entire time, you're not going to have any utility. You need that utility in challenging fights, so if you just mindlessly smash your other abilities, you're just going to waste them.

1 skill is the main attack. So I reckon you'll be using it a lot. Esp. if a CD misses or simply during a CD. Design wise it seems you are suppose to mash 1- some classes even heal and apply conditions via 1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    1 skill is the main attack. So I reckon you'll be using it a lot. Esp. if a CD misses or simply during a CD. Design wise it seems you are suppose to mash 1- some classes even heal and apply conditions via 1.
    Aye, staff mesmer comes to mind.
    Though with Autocast I cant see that ever becoming a problem.
    Actually, I guess some of the chain abilities that apply specific conditions on different attacks may want to be off the autocast so you can decide when and where to use the next attack in the chain. It would depend on how fast it resets back to the first attack though.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterheart View Post
    Also the 1 key can be pressed by some, if not all, professions while you activate other attacks.
    It's off the "global cooldown" so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    To do damage, yeah, but if you're just hitting 1 the entire time, you're not going to have any utility. You need that utility in challenging fights, so if you just mindlessly smash your other abilities, you're just going to waste them.
    You guys... you don't need to smash one, if you right click one of the action bars it will use that ability automatically.
    Plus 1 is probably your most important ability, as Fencers has gave examples.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Why would you mash 1 when you can make it auto ? Let the game mash it for you.

Edit : Damn, totally burned by Allanon >.< *fist*

Deleted
    You guys... you don't need to smash one, if you right click one of the action bars it will use that ability automatically.
    Plus 1 is probably your most important ability, as Fencers has gave examples.
    Yep, posted about that just before you made this post.
    I wonder if it sticks between weapon loadouts. Or if you have to reactivate autocast when you switch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just hoping pushing 1 on my Naga will have the same effect.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Didn't they say (in the press vids) that 1 IS your auto attack? You press it one time and it will automatically go off until you hit a different key. Heard that in several videos unless I totally understood them all wrong.