Questions About Crossfire Setup And Install

Hey guys, I recently placed my order for my new XFX 6970 and it will be here Monday. I have been trying to read and make preparations for the card, such as how to enable it, and how drivers work ect.

From all the reading I have done, this is basically what I know.

-You install the card with a crossfire bridge
    -Boot into windows, go to Catalyst Control panel menu, and somewhere in there you enable crossfire.

What I don't know is about these things people refer to called CAPS? What are they and how do I enable them and how do they work? If a certain cap let's say for example, cap 11.10 supports WoW, but CAP 11.12 supports anno 2070... does 11.12 have all the CAP profiles up to date leading to that update? Such as 11.12 has the support for WoW and Anno 2070?

Can anyone with experience please explain to me how this works and why I need a CAP and how CAPs work?

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 04:36 AM ----------

Nobody can help me with this issue? :C

Hey, cool that you're going to get a crossfire setup ( I have 2 xfx 6870's ). It is indeed very easy to setup crossfire, you place the 2nd card into your mobo, get the connector on and boot up. In Cataclyst there is a simple option where you can turn on crossfire. Regarding the CAPS, every once in a while they release these ( check http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...-profiles.aspx on a weekly base ), you uninstall your old one and install the new ones, they are always ~0.5MB and contain new updates + the previous. So all you have to do is keep dloading the new one while uninstalling your old one and you'll get the most out of your crossfire performance

Good luck!

===
    Small edit ; missed the why part ; they contain updates to increase the game performance (don't ask me how they do it, but you will see an FPS increase :P )

Quote Originally Posted by Caithy View Post
    Hey, cool that you're going to get a crossfire setup ( I have 2 xfx 6870's ). It is indeed very easy to setup crossfire, you place the 2nd card into your mobo, get the connector on and boot up. In Cataclyst there is a simple option where you can turn on crossfire. Regarding the CAPS, every once in a while they release these ( check http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...-profiles.aspx on a weekly base ), you uninstall your old one and install the new ones, they are always ~0.5MB and contain new updates + the previous. So all you have to do is keep dloading the new one while uninstalling your old one and you'll get the most out of your crossfire performance

Good luck!

===
    Small edit ; missed the why part ; they contain updates to increase the game performance (don't ask me how they do it, but you will see an FPS increase :P )

How do you go about uninstalling the CAPS? Do I have to uninstall my entire AMD video driver everytime? Where are the files located and how do you manipulate them. Also do you need to activate the profile? How do I know which CAP I am using, is there a information panel about it in CCC?

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 10:00 PM ----------

I found something that looks like this in my uninstall area in the control panel.

I tried uninstalling the first to the top Application Profiles from AMD and my computer blue screened and took about 5 minutes to reboot from my SSD that usually takes about 9 seconds... what am I doing wrong? Am I suppose to have 2?

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 11:37 PM ----------

Anyone have an idea?

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 01:39 AM ----------

Shameless bump

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 05:12 AM ----------

Anyone have anymore information?
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-03-06 at 10:58 AM.

Ah lol, I think you kinda fucked up. Try to reset your PC to the last point before the CAP installations. They get a bit fucked when you install multiple ones. Always uninstall your old one before installing a new one. After that it will be fine again.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW and many games run worse with CrossFireX. Be sure to check before playing. Of course you can easily just go to CCC and disable CF when you need to but I'm just letting you know so that you don't get your hopes up.

As for your problem I'd just reformat if it was me. Everything's always better with a fresh Windows install anyway.

I got one of them successfully uninstalled using revo uninstaller pro so I only have the most recent updated one now. I only play on a 1920x1080 monitor so if the game doesn't support crossfire I am sure my 2500k at 4.5 ghz and a 6970 will be able to usually max the game with no issues. I was just confused on how these CAP profiles worked but thanks for telling me how to disable one if I need to. Will be a fun experience and a first time using 2 graphics cards. I am sure I will be apart of new games forums pleading for crossfire support now, haha. Thanks guys I think I got it all under control. I just wish I could find the CAP version and information on the software inside CCC

Not sure if its an option for you, but if you can return it - do consider crossfire 7870's - or a single 7950/7970....

Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post
    How do you go about uninstalling the CAPS? Do I have to uninstall my entire AMD video driver everytime? Where are the files located and how do you manipulate them. Also do you need to activate the profile? How do I know which CAP I am using, is there a information panel about it in CCC?

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 10:00 PM ----------

I found something that looks like this in my uninstall area in the control panel.

http://i.imgur.com/4AL0g.png

I tried uninstalling the first to the top Application Profiles from AMD and my computer blue screened and took about 5 minutes to reboot from my SSD that usually takes about 9 seconds... what am I doing wrong? Am I suppose to have 2?

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 11:37 PM ----------

Anyone have an idea?

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 01:39 AM ----------

Shameless bump

---------- Post added 2012-03-05 at 05:12 AM ----------

Anyone have anymore information?
    I usually just install new caps without uninstalling the old ones. If you open the file you downloaded to install the caps after installation, you can uninstall from there.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-03-06 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulion View Post
    Not sure if its an option for you, but if you can return it - do consider crossfire 7870's - or a single 7950/7970....
    Since a single 6970 can max out alot of games now even in 2012, I can still play them. Also crossfire 6970s beat a single 7970 if crossfire is supported. I went ahead and got the crossfire, so I could also afford a h100 Corsahir CPU cooler and a razer headset. I will looking into selling my 6970s and getting a Nvidia gtx 600/700 card later next year. For now though I think I got some pretty awesome upgrades that will last me all year long.