Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    Is it worth buying a 680 in june/july or will the drivers for the 7970 and after market cooling options makes the 7970 down right the correct option? Is the best option to just wait until specs come out? Also I plan on going with 2 680's SLI or 2 7970's crossfire if that makes a difference.
    The 680 might not even be out by then :P Thing is tho, by the time it will be out. You prob wont see custom coolers for it (unless nvidea does the same as AMD with the 7950, or you could just buy cooler and mount it yourself), but the custom cooled 7970 should be out by then and available.

But if you can wait till june/july, just wait. There will most likely be more news about the 680 by then and if it is available, the 7970 might have dropped in price

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-g...led/15137.html

As always, take with a grain of salt. I do hope we hear something from Nvidia about Kepler on the 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-g...led/15137.html

As always, take with a grain of salt. I do hope we hear something from Nvidia about Kepler on the 12th.
    Saw it yesterday, it looks too good to be true, so it likely is. Why they chose to go down to the 256 membus instead, I do not know. I guess it wasn't profitable enough, or they had problems with 384.

Deleted
    Rumours spreading that it will be launched at CEBIT so those days are pretty accurate. Also getting info of GK104 being bit faster than HD7950 but not as fast as HD7970

And GTX680 averaging 10% faster in BF3 than 7970 but slower in 3dmark. Tough there is some intresting features on it...

http://www.techpowerup.com/161972/Ge...etc.-etc..html

Again, do not know how accurate this all is.
    Last edited by mmoc59753647e9; 2012-03-07 at 09:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GTX 680 is rumored to be as powerful as 3x GTX 580's!

2:32
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    I'll believe it when I see benchmarks. WTB release date/price though... been itching for an upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post

2:32
    Not even close - Samaritan on the 3x580s used MSAA, on the Kepler it was using FXAA. Add to that any optimisations that Epic made to the UE3 demo.

Is it better than a 580? Yes. Two? Very doubtful. Three? You're gullible.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Not even close - Samaritan on the 3x580s used MSAA, on the Kepler it was using FXAA. Add to that any optimisations that Epic made to the UE3 demo.

Is it better than a 580? Yes. Two? Very doubtful. Three? You're gullible.
    it certainly has 3x the cores, the numbers on paper say it should be close to 75% of the performance of my quad-590 setup, which would be in the ballpark as tri 580s

but then again, paper lies

15+ Year Old Account
    If the gtx 680 is 3 times as powerful as the gtx 580 wouldn't that make it a clear winner when versusing a 7970?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the gtx 680 is 3 times as powerful as the gtx 580 wouldn't that make it a clear winner when versusing a 7970?
    more then likely it's 3x more powerful when using cuda based parallel processing, which makes perfect sense looking at the numbers, how that power translates to benchmarks and game performance is a different issue, and it is probably not going to deliver 3x the framerate of a 580

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Die area ~340mm^2
    705MHz core clock, 1411 MHz shader clock
    32 ROPs
    128 TMUs
    2 GB memory, 256-bit bandwidth

We're looking at an equivalent to the HD 7900 series more or less. Obvously this isn't a 'flagship' worthy card in the traditional sense, but it's all Nvidia will have for half a year. I fully expect GK110 to take the outright performance crown for a single GPU video card in November or so, but I also expect AMD to come out with a Tahiti XT respin at higher clocks and maybe additional CUs at a lower price.

If the gtx 680 delivered 3x the performance of a 580, then wouldnt it cost significantly more than the 580? Like in the 1k+ range?

Something to keep in mind is that GTX 580s won't scale 100% in SLI. Last I recall it's quite generous to say the GTX 580 would gain about 50% of the previous card's performance. (Ie 100%, 150%, 175% ish.)

And driver and engine improvements have both allowed the technology to grow quite a bit better, so for all we know the requirements for pushing the framerate have gone down. So I'd say anywhere between 50% to 80% improvement in that "benchmark" would be something more reasonable to expect in terms of the card's capability. This doesn't really translate into any particular advantage in real life scenarios, since under other circumstances the card could obviously perform a lot differently.

All in all, what I'm saying is that I'll believe it when I see it. Apparently we're going to see paper-launch on Monday the 12th according to this guy, so hopefully that means reviews are coming up shortly.

Alongside what Cyanotical said, you also have to keep in mind that there are more things for video cards than being pure powerful.

If it manages to be able to juice it out without increasing the power consumption of the GTX 580 at all, then yes, it's a clear winner.
    If it increases the power consumption beyond GTX 480 levels, I personally would deem it a failure and an undesirable card. Both in terms of my own interests, and how I doubt that the actual PCI-E lanes wouldn't burn, especially if someone overclocked them.
    I also would've preferred not increasing the mem clock speed, but keeping the 384 membus.

We won't know until benchmarks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    All in all, what I'm saying is that I'll believe it when I see it. Apparently we're going to see paper-launch on Monday the 12th according to this guy, so hopefully that means reviews are coming up shortly.
    I'm thinking more announced then, and the paper-launch occuring March 23rd. It's an interesting future ahead of us.
    What is clear however, is that nVidia has a lot of grounds to eat up, more powerful or not, due to AMDs headstart.

I've also heard -rumours- of AMD being ready for another release before the end of the year. This in relation to how reports have told that not all steam processors were utilised (confirmation please?) in the HD7970.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-03-10 at 12:20 PM.

You mean stream processors? Anyway, I honestly haven't heard of that before, sorry. So nothing to confirm or deny there.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I've also heard -rumours- of AMD being ready for another release before the end of the year. This in relation to how reports have told that not all steam processors were utilised (confirmation please?) in the HD7970.
    While nothing is stopping AMD from releasing a higher end part with two additional CUs late this year, I don't think those extra CUs are already present on Tahiti XT. The retooled 28nm process should also result in lower gate leakage, better yields, and higher clockability. What I'm most interested in is the semantics. It's very likely AMD and Nvidia name these cards the Radeon HD 8900 series and GeForce GTX 700 series...

This is the last piece of the puzzle for my build and really want to see what Keplar has to offer before going AMD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Die area ~340mm^2
    705MHz core clock, 1411 MHz shader clock
    32 ROPs
    128 TMUs
    2 GB memory, 256-bit bandwidth

We're looking at an equivalent to the HD 7900 series more or less. Obvously this isn't a 'flagship' worthy card in the traditional sense, but it's all Nvidia will have for half a year. I fully expect GK110 to take the outright performance crown for a single GPU video card in November or so, but I also expect AMD to come out with a Tahiti XT respin at higher clocks and maybe additional CUs at a lower price.
    Those are wrong clocks btw ^^
    I might have underestimated the power of this card. All i can say is everything linked to this thread so far are wrong and only pits and pieces are correct.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaskEd View Post
    Those are wrong clocks btw ^^
    I might have underestimated the power of this card. All i can say is everything linked to this thread so far are wrong and only pits and pieces are correct.
    Care to link us to a credible source then?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    NDA is a bitch

All he could say was that those clocks are wrong but in what direction.. I guess we need to figure out ourselves. But i doubt its less than 705 ^^