10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I don't know if you made me guess I guess I would say to boost his moral going into next season. I would have to say thou that this has been one of the worst sports contracts iv seen since the Giants signed Barry Zito for a billion dollars.
    I'd understand if they wanted to do something to help boost his morale; especially after last season. But that deal is insane. They just took one the 10 worst QB's in the league and paid him like he's a Top 10 guy at his position ... And they did it despite the fact that he won't even be an UFA until 2014.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mark Sanchez has progressed each year so I would give him that he did score double the touchdowns if you combined his first 2 years together. I still wouldn't give him that deal thou that is just insane and wacky. I don't know what the jets are thinking except that they don't want to rebuild again with another QB.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mark Sanchez has progressed each year so I would give him that he did score double the touchdowns if you combined his first 2 years together. I still wouldn't give him that deal thou that is just insane and wacky. I don't know what the jets are thinking except that they don't want to rebuild again with another QB.
    Ya he has improved each year. His QBR went from 63, to 75, to 78.3 over the last three seasons or worst in the league to near worst in the league to near worst in the league. His TDs went up because their running game was terrible last year. I believe he was second in the NFL in turnovers, one behind Josh Freeman. He had nearly twice as many turnovers last year as he did the year before. Sanchez is a better NFL starter than these guys who started a healthy amount of games last year: Curtis Painter, John Skelton, Rex Grossman, Christian Ponder (rookie), Blaine Gabbert (rookie or not he is awful), Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, and Josh Freeman. How many of those guys would get a contract worth half as much as Sanchez just got (ignoring rookie deal)? Freeman maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya he has improved each year. His QBR went from 63, to 75, to 78.3 over the last three seasons or worst in the league to near worst in the league to near worst in the league. His TDs went up because their running game was terrible last year. I believe he was second in the NFL in turnovers, one behind Josh Freeman. He had nearly twice as many turnovers last year as he did the year before. Sanchez is a better NFL starter than these guys who started a healthy amount of games last year: Curtis Painter, John Skelton, Rex Grossman, Christian Ponder (rookie), Blaine Gabbert (rookie or not he is awful), Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy, and Josh Freeman. How many of those guys would get a contract worth half as much as Sanchez just got (ignoring rookie deal)? Freeman maybe.
    Yeah like I said I wouldn't give him that deal he is pretty much a bust his coach doesn't like him and nether do some of his teammates. They know there not going to win with him at helm I bet most of the Jets players jaw dropped when they saw that on the ticker on espn.

I know you may not agree with me, but Tebow's stats suggest he's just as good as Sanchez. I mean, his completion rating is worse, but hs TD-INT ratio is almost literally twice as good. Regardless, I still agree with you. Either Sanchez doesn't deserve contracts like that, or all the others mentioned do too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I know you may not agree with me, but Tebow's stats suggest he's just as good as Sanchez. I mean, his completion rating is worse, but hs TD-INT ratio is almost literally twice as good. Regardless, I still agree with you. Either Sanchez doesn't deserve contracts like that, or all the others mentioned do too.
    With Tebow's ability to run, I absolutely agree with you. As a pure QB he is slightly worse, but his toolbox is bigger. If Tebow had the same development time that Sanchez has had he would be way ahead of him, even more than he already is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh Im going to disagree with yall on this one. At least Sanchez has better mechanics and the reason why Tebow doesn't throw interceptions is because the system they have him in. When you throw a ball 10 times a game your probably not going to get many interceptions. But having said that I wouldn't want either of them on my team and I had no other choice I wouldn't give either one of those two a crazy contract. I guess with Tebow you sale lots of jerseys and media helps commercialize your team.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ehh Im going to disagree with yall on this one. At least Sanchez has better mechanics and the reason why Tebow doesn't throw interceptions is because the system they have him in. When you throw a ball 10 times a game your probably not going to get many interceptions. But having said that I wouldn't want either of them on my team and I had no other choice I wouldn't give either one of those two a crazy contract. I guess with Tebow you sale lots of jerseys and media helps commercialize your team.
    Tim Tebow threw an interception every 45 attempts this year. Mark Sanchez threw an interception every 30 attempts.

Sanchez rate is god awful, but when you compare it to some others it isn't that bad. Fitzpatrik was every 24.7 throws, Grossman was every 22. Palmer 20.5. Rodgers was 83.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-03-11 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    True conscript but I would like to ask how many short passes and tosses do you think they had Tebow throw compared to Sanchez.

15+ Year Old Account
    True conscript but I would like to ask how many short passes and tosses do you think they had Tebow throw compared to Sanchez.
    Considering they both have the exact same Yards per attempt(6.4) and Tebow has a much better Yards per completion (13.7 to 11.3) I'm willing to bet they were pretty proportionately equal in their amount of short passes and if anything Tebow is proportionately higher in his average pass length (judge on YPC alone).

10+ Year Old Account
    With all this talk of QB's, there's something that's bothering me at the moment.

Oakland has Campbell, Palmer, Boller and Pryor (they also have Rhett Bomar but he's not had a game anywhere in two years)

Oakland has essentially no draft picks.

There's no way either Campbell or Palmer would be happy playing second string for the other, and Boller is beyond the drizzling shits.

Why have we not traded one (or more, I'm sure Boller could be a backup somewhere for a 5th round pick) for a better position in this year's draft?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    With all this talk of QB's, there's something that's bothering me at the moment.

Oakland has Campbell, Palmer, Boller and Pryor (they also have Rhett Bomar but he's not had a game anywhere in two years)

There's no way either Campbell or Palmer would be happy playing second string for the other, and Boller is beyond the drizzling shits.

Why have we not traded one (or more, I'm sure Boller could be a backup somewhere for a 5th round pick) for a better position in this year's draft?
    According to Sportrac, Campbell and Boller are both UFAs right now which is why Oakland hasn't dealt them. So technically you guys only have Palmer and Pryor lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Campbell leaves without Oakland getting anything out of it, my face will go through this desk in frustration.

Boller will be a missed opportunity but I'm not going to cry if we don't get a pick for him. Campbell is at least a 2nd round alone.

10+ Year Old Account

I'd imagine they keep Palmer (starter), Pryor (backup) and Bomar (3rd string/practice squad/roster filler).

I'd think they could get something semi-decent for Campbell, but I would think any team would consider him option C or lower at this point. You'd have to wait for Peyton to sign, Luck and Griffin to get drafted and Matt Flynn to sign before teams would start seriously looking to trade for a guy like Campbell. That's without looking at the who the middle-of-the-pack type QB's who might be a FA this year. I'd think the major problem with Campbell is that where ever he goes, he'd want to be the starter, but any team that wants him would either want him as a backup or at least competing for the starting role. I have a feeling he's not going to be happy no matter where he lands.

As for Kyle Boller, I can't see a team giving up anything of real worth to obtain him; especially when you have a much better trade piece in Campbell. This was his first major playing time since leaving the Ravens (that I know of) and he had the same terrified, deer-in-the-headlights stare that he had when he was in Baltimore.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

15+ Year Old Account
    If Campbell leaves without Oakland getting anything out of it, my face will go through this desk in frustration.

Boller will be a missed opportunity but I'm not going to cry if we don't get a pick for him. Campbell is at least a 2nd round alone.
    Campbell is already gone without Oakland getting anything. They have absolutely no hold on him right now. Being a UFA they can't even trade the rights to negotiate with him (if you can even do that in the NFL like you can NHL and NBA). They could have franchise tagged him and paid him $11 million or w/e the QB number was. Unless they extend him like they did last year, which won't happen, he is gone and they got nothing in return for a moderately decent starting QB that they should have dealt when they signed Palmer.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    This was his first major playing time since leaving the Ravens (that I know of) and he had the same terrified, deer-in-the-headlights stare that he had when he was in Baltimore.
    Thats because Kyle Boller is freaking terrible.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 05:49 PM ----------

Campbell has the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. If I had to put money on it, I could see him absolutely signing for the Seahawks or the Browns next year and becoming their starter out of the gate. I love T-Jax, but Campbell is better than him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Campbell is already gone without Oakland getting anything. They have absolutely no hold on him right now. Being a UFA they can't even trade the rights to negotiate with him (if you can even do that in the NFL like you can NHL and NBA). They could have franchise tagged him and paid him $11 million or w/e the QB number was. Unless they extend him like they did last year, which won't happen, he is gone and they got nothing in return for a moderately decent starting QB that they should have dealt when they signed Palmer.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 05:46 PM ----------

Thats because Kyle Boller is freaking terrible.

---------- Post added 2012-03-11 at 05:49 PM ----------

Campbell has the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. If I had to put money on it, I could see him absolutely signing for the Seahawks or the Browns next year and becoming their starter out of the gate. I love T-Jax, but Campbell is better than him.
    Didn't realize that Campbell was a FA. Another FA that no one seems to be talking about is David Garrard. I haven't read anything about him in awhile, but I'd imagine he's good-to-go for the 2012 season now that he's had surgery on his herniated disc.

lol Couldn't agree more on your opinion of Boller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    lol Couldn't agree more on your opinion of Boller.
    I'd put more swearing in and a couple more metaphors to explain how he really is the drizzling shits.. yet somehow still gets a contract somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want Boller,Campbell,Garrard,Sanchez,Tebow,Kolb,Fitzpatrick,Gabbert,T.Jackson or even Alex smith as my starting QB

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want Boller,Campbell,Garrard,Sanchez,Tebow,Kolb,Fitzpatrick,Gabbert,T.Jackson or even Alex smith as my starting QB
    I'm still neutral on Kolb. I wouldn't want Campbell as my starter, but looking around there are probably ten teams he is better than their current starter so he has a place in the league. I like TJax but he is essentially the same as Campbell, but worse. Still better than a handful of NFL starters though. It makes you appreciate it when your team has a legitimate starter, something only about 20 of the 30 teams can claim every season. Its amazing how little QB talent there actually is spread throughout the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before his injury Campbell was actually having a good season at Oakland, he turned a corner then :endseason:

Granted a couple of the games after we'd not have won if it wasn't for Palmer (.. or more accurately Palmer throwing the ball deep enough for Janikowski to kick the Bears to death) But we'd be looking at a 9-7/10-6 season.

There are teams that could do worse with what they've got than pick up Campbell.