Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkdepot View Post
    No, currently, everything is still same server. Cross server groups would solve some of the issues, as would an LFFP / LFO option but that would reduce the 'community' of same server groupings. You lose a lot of the civility and community when you start to go cross server.
    Well, for warfronts you probably already queue individually, or do you need to form a team and then queue for a matchup with other side?

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Personally I thought that is what the instancing was for in the first place. Too many players in an areas? Create another instance of it. So how BioWare handled launch seemed odd. I don't recall ever seeing a zone count hit three hundred, let alone four, and I started on the first day of the early access. Thirteenth of December wasn't it? Ended up with toons across four servers and the highest I ever noticed was in the two hundreds. Three or four instances running. Think I recall seeing one with five instances once but, again, my memory may be a little fuzzy.

I get the feeling that BioWare has kept the server caps way too low from the beginning. Though whether that is more because of expected growth or engine limitations I couldn't say.
    I don't quite understand what happened either. They had built in a system for dealing with high populations with the zone instancing, but then put really low server caps at the start that made this instancing almost unnecessary. With the instancing, you'd expect swtor's servers to have a higher total cap than other games, only spread out more within a server, but it seems like the opposite happened. Especially when their big thing was "community" and single server everything, you'd think they'd want as large of a population as they could on a single server. If every server had 400-500 people on the fleet, there'd be less calls for cross-server queueing (should still have a lfg system within the server however: spamming chat is stupid).

A typical "I don't experience the problem therefore it doesn't exist" thread. Move on.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well, for warfronts you probably already queue individually, or do you need to form a team and then queue for a matchup with other side?
    You can queue individually or as a group but you're still going to be grouped with and matched against people from that server. I never queue with a group but I see a lot of the same people in every match.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I don't quite understand what happened either. They had built in a system for dealing with high populations with the zone instancing, but then put really low server caps at the start that made this instancing almost unnecessary. With the instancing, you'd expect swtor's servers to have a higher total cap than other games, only spread out more within a server, but it seems like the opposite happened. Especially when their big thing was "community" and single server everything, you'd think they'd want as large of a population as they could on a single server. If every server had 400-500 people on the fleet, there'd be less calls for cross-server queueing (should still have a lfg system within the server however: spamming chat is stupid).
    This was my belief as well, that their instancing technology allowed for larger per server populations. It really seems to have gone the opposite way. We had an influx into starter zones last week with the friends promotion but by the end of this weekend that should be blown through. The worst UI setting change I ever made was to timestamp chat, wow are some planets just dead.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CashME View Post
    Mergining server is a MUST,because this starts to look like AOC and WAR and we all know what happend...
    They merged servers, went free2play, and are now profitable... Such a bad thing.

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 09:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    The worst UI setting change I ever made was to timestamp chat, wow are some planets just dead.
    Yet Washu if you happen to find that rare planet where you can strike up a conversation with the 6 other people on it, it seems like a population planet again. I know what you mean though, not a lot of people chatting in general on my main server.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    This was my belief as well, that their instancing technology allowed for larger per server populations. It really seems to have gone the opposite way. We had an influx into starter zones last week with the friends promotion but by the end of this weekend that should be blown through. The worst UI setting change I ever made was to timestamp chat, wow are some planets just dead.
    It depends. On Fatman coruscant and tython have more than the fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I was reading some threads on this forum, where some claimed that there are several empty SW TOR servers. They also claimed that the population issue is so bad that people can't find others to quest together etc in starter zones etc, so I decided to take some screenshots. These were taken at 21:20 European Std Time. See for yourself:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5...2031422201.jpg
    http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5...2031422201.jpg

I play on Legions of Lettow. Let me tell you how's life at a "Standard" pop server. There were 40-65 people running around in the starting zone throughout the day. There were 25-45 people online in my guild, and there were 450 people online at the Capital City (Fleet) a few minutes ago when I got there.
    I really don't understand people like this one. He goes on about 450 people online on fleet and then links 2 screenshots of a server list that have no relevance to anything whatsoever and it's even more hilarious that he actually thinks he proved a point. Link an ingame screenshot showing 450 people online on fleet. Or 300. Or 200 for that matter. Everyone is tossing numbers around like they mean something, when in actuality they are some arbitrary values pulled out of one's behind to prove a point without realizing that actual proof of your claims is a few clicks away. Do a screenshot, upload an image, link it here. Is it really so hard? For the topic creator it obviously isn't because he has done that with 2 images. We are only left to wonder why those specific ones that show nothing or prove nothing. Maybe because he's blatantly lying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fichek View Post
    Maybe because he's blatantly lying?
    He isn't "blatantly lying." He is new to the game and was wondering what everyone was complaining about when it looked fine to him. He didn't know all the context involved so it's not that big of a deal man. There are a lot of misunderstandings and under-understandings going on. And that's before we even get into the whole fanboi hater dichotomy. Meh... It happens.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Legions of Lettow is considered to be a Very heavy - Full server. Not standard.

Well unfortuantly this is bullshit.

On fleet, the instance caps out at 300. Anything over that will be put into Imperial Fleet (2), but the chat will carry over. I have seen this myself. If you invite a person that is on Fleet (2) then it will pull them into your "instance" of the Fleet.

I am on fatman server, empire. The server is usually Very Heavy or Full at most times at night, and at most I have only seen around 350 on fleet at one time (including Fleet (2)). My first server is classified as Standard now, and when I log into fleet there is never more than 100 ppl on. Never. There is absolutely no way a Standard server will ever have 450 ppl on Fleet.

Yes there ARE dead servers. Yes they NEED a merger or free transfers. To believe otherwise is plain ol ignorance.

I stopped playing and unsubbed this past week.. Most notably due to them restricting the upcoming LFG(dungeon finder) to your server only which isn't helping the low-pop/dead servers out at all, not to mention no dual spec in 1.2 either. It is literally dead on Iron Citadel, on average it takes 35-45 minutes to find a group for a HC FP...unless of course your doing lolBT. I really like the game, but it is literally unplayable on some servers at level cap.

---------- Post added 2012-03-15 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    To the people who were crying over server queues at launch, myself and many others were telling them to deal with it as this should happen with every mmo at launch.

Now the people who are still playing, are getting punished from the people who whined about queues.

Bioware are to blame though, they should never of gave in, unless they had ridiculous expectations for an unfinished game to get 5 mil subs.
    How about they should of instead ensured better server stability...i mean shit they can't even hold more then 700 people, not even half of what WoW realms can hold and remain up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    To believe otherwise is plain ol ignorance.
    That's why I think BioWare should really be auto-assigning servers to trials instead of giving them free access to the server list. They pre-assigned guilds so I'm not sure why they can't do that with trials too. If they don't, most will naturally gravitate towards the already more heavily populated servers which will just exacerbate the problems with "lighter" servers. Well that and tell us exactly what the number spreads are for their categories.

Agreed. Having 122 servers at launch in the US alone is absurd.

Rift had 58 servers at launch.
    WoW had 42.
    WAR had 30.

BW screwed the pooch on this one. They will have to either merge, or give free transfers and soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodchargedIllidan View Post
    How about they should of instead ensured better server stability...i mean shit they can't even hold more then 700 people, not even half of what WoW realms can hold and remain up.
    I've pondered if that might have something to do with the "Hero Engine" itself. Maybe it just isn't as "robust" when dealing with heavier traffic? Though I'm sure its more than seven hundred. Probably more like a thousand or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I've pondered if that might have something to do with the "Hero Engine" itself. Maybe it just isn't as "robust" when dealing with heavier traffic? Though I'm sure its more than seven hundred. Probably more like a thousand or two.
    Just a number I was throwing out there. Though I doubt they could hold 2k and remain stable, as that was visible during there launch where every server had 90+ minute queues.

you play on legions of lettow...yeah thats probably most populated EU server. when i leveled alt on Uthar Wynn there were 2-3 people on each planet so 4 man quests? no chance. They either have to merge half servers or nerf 4 man quests to the ground - also dungeon finder is needed.
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how any of these arguments are relevant. I am on one of the least populated servers and finding a group for ANYTHING takes little to no time. If you're looking for a flashpoint, you can get a group together in under 5 minutes. If you're leveling, you can ALWAYS get groups for heroic quests. Hell, my server has multiple pug operations (normal and hardmode) going on tuesday-saturday.

Like I said, I am on one of the least populated servers (Terentatek) and finding groups is never an issue. On empire side (the biggest population), you can get a queue for a warzone in under 30sec. That means on republic side they are getting near instant. All this QQ is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I don't see how any of these arguments are relevant. I am on one of the least populated servers and finding a group for ANYTHING takes little to no time. If you're looking for a flashpoint, you can get a group together in under 5 minutes. If you're leveling, you can ALWAYS get groups for heroic quests. Hell, my server has multiple pug operations (normal and hardmode) going on tuesday-saturday.

Like I said, I am on one of the least populated servers (Terentatek) and finding groups is never an issue. On empire side (the biggest population), you can get a queue for a warzone in under 30sec. That means on republic side they are getting near instant. All this QQ is pointless.
    Thats why my buddy and I (tank and healer) took over an hour to find 2 dps for boarding party during peak hours last night on The Fatman (the most populated pvp server in america).

5 minutes my brown asshole.

in my opinion they opened too many servers too fast would have been better to start with a few and open more if and when needed