Thread: Leveling in PVP

Leveling in PVP

I just had a quick question about leveling in pvp. I know you can level in WvWvW but can you level in 5v5 competitive pvp?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you can.

When doing structured pvp you automatically have access to all skills, weapons, and max level so there is no need for progression or to level if that's all you're doing.

When in WvWvW however you still have to unlock skills, weapons, ect, so progression is still required.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    You can only level in WvW PvP, not in structured PvP (which is all other kinds of PvP)

The reason I asked was because I am someone who plays MMOs mainly for the PVP. I absolutely love the fact that at any level you can join competitive pvp and be on even ground as anyone. Because of this I would love to be able to level to 80 just by doing compepteive pvp. But I am also very excited for WvWvW which is the sole reason for getting to 80 (for me anyways).

I just see a scenario where my love for pvp will cause me to be doing compepteive pvp A LOT starting from level 1 but that will also gimp me being able to do WvWvW with other people that I meet because I won't have as many skills because I get no xp from compepteive pvp.

Its just something I have been thinking about.

Deleted
    it seems that a lot of games these days do offer an exp bonus for playing pvp matches. I havent seen any info if this is present in gw2 or not, but they have said that they want you to be able to play 'your way' and not forced into content you dont want to play, and also that levelling would be fairly quick and non grindy. So it wouldnt surprise me if you did get exp from structured pvp.

Also you can level in wvwvw so you could just live their until you are 80 i suppose, if you dont get bored easily :P If you play the game from launch you shouldnt be at any disadvantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post
    The reason I asked was because I am someone who plays MMOs mainly for the PVP. I absolutely love the fact that at any level you can join competitive pvp and be on even ground as anyone. Because of this I would love to be able to level to 80 just by doing compepteive pvp. But I am also very excited for WvWvW which is the sole reason for getting to 80 (for me anyways).

I just see a scenario where my love for pvp will cause me to be doing compepteive pvp A LOT starting from level 1 but that will also gimp me being able to do WvWvW with other people that I meet because I won't have as many skills because I get no xp from compepteive pvp.

Its just something I have been thinking about.

Even if you could you would still have to travel the entire world looking for the quests that give your talent points.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    Even if you could you would still have to travel the entire world looking for the quests that give your talent points.
    No, those unlock utility skills/heals. You get the talent points as you level.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure you get your XP at the end of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I'm pretty sure you get your XP at the end of the match.
    I hope you are right

15+ Year Old Account
    Well if all you want to do is PVP from the moment you finish the starter zone I'm not sure why you'd need to level...also remember leveling isn't anything of consequence, it's not a grind to be pushed through to experience endgame. As far as I know, right now levels are only really there to serve as a power-cap for dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Marn View Post
    Well if all you want to do is PVP from the moment you finish the starter zone I'm not sure why you'd need to level...also remember leveling isn't anything of consequence, it's not a grind to be pushed through to experience endgame. As far as I know, right now levels are only really there to serve as a power-cap for dungeons.
    The reason I have to level is because of WvWvW. I am really excited for that and there is no way for me to do that at full strength unless I'm 80 with good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Valek View Post
    The reason I have to level is because of WvWvW. I am really excited for that and there is no way for me to do that at full strength unless I'm 80 with good gear.
    You can not level in structured PVP. I am not bothering to find where it's confirmed, but I know that this is the case. If you really care about WvWvW, you should just go in there day one and level in there. If you start on day one, everyone else in there is gonna be level one too, so it's still a level playing field. If anything, day one is when you WANT to WvWvW, because it's the only time you'll be able to experience it when everyone is still all low leveled.

Deleted
    Short Version : Gear + Traits > dont increase dramaticaly ur survibility > Dont matter much .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQCi...ature=youtu.be
    check out on 02.18
    5 lvl gear > Legs = 4 power , feet 2 power
    10 lvl gear > Legs = 6 power , feet 3 power
    >The warrior less than 10 lvl ,sidetrack to 80, has 20500 hp
    Also:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-TFPFnZ3o8 = 6 months video
    At 00.49 > showing some 80 lvl weapons at the GC11/demo with 33 power each

Now check this :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83iLxGqJr_E = 6 month video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8XqWEaiAcI = 3 week video
    Both , looks like they wear, cool looking-shinning 80 lvl gear
    > Both warriors have 24.200-24.900 hp with 80 lvl gear

Total difference between a person with 8 lvl gear and 80 lvvl = 4.000 hp

As for the Trait points , > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvv9VAc74YA > 3 week video .
    Necromancers ( they must have the same hp with warriors) > 300 points in vitality + gear > total 27.000
    > Most classes can do the least 500 damage with their main/spam attack - button 1
    > So that person has 10 sec-10 hits more survibility than u ( If he has 27000 hp, while u have 20.500)
    > Caluclate that in PVP , u always will face 2 ppl > 10 sec/2 dps characters> 5 sec survibility
    > If they both use their other attacks, except button 1 > 1.5-3 sec survibilty

Relax , and enjoy the game slowly
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-03-16 at 06:41 AM.