Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Can someone explain to me what the point of being a Yankees fan is?
    Either you win the World Series because you pretty much paid for it or your team embarrasses itself for accomplishing nothing for how much it pays. Where's the benefit?
    The old "buying the world series" argument is a bit void, even if you take into consideration the marketing of the last 30 years which has been of giant proportions (during which time it's become probably the third or fourth most used logo in the world behind Coke, Nike & possibly Apple), it would still only account for so much credibility - during those 30 years the Yankees have won 5 world series out of 30. The reason we can spend more on players is the basic fact it's one of the most marketable franchises in one of the most marketable cities in one of the most marketable countries in the world - we're not talking about a team in Cleveland, Minnesota or Houston here, everything is bigger in New York! That allows more income from licensing, sales & in market revenue which they've chosen to invest in the team - arguing that they can't do that because it's not fair is like saying to billionaires "hey, you can't buy a mansion cos it's not fair on those people on minimum wage".

One of the major reasons i'm a Yankees fan is because some of their fans are just like the supporters of my football team in the UK, i am comfortable around those kind of fans and would rather that than sit in any other ballpark with - and i mean no offence here - typical reservist bullshit, half the fun of sports is to noise up your opponents and frankly a lot of Americans are too reserved for that. The bleacher creatures on the other hand, don't give a shit about that, they're happy to open up and say what they think about someone and well, you don't get that sort of feel at some ballparks because it's considered "crude" where i come from, the creatures would be pretty normal!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Rangers
    AL East: Yankees

NL East: Phillies
    NL Central: Cardinals
    NL West: Diamondbacks

WC AL: Angels
    WC #2 AL: Rays
    WC NL: Giants
    WC #2 NL: Braves

Phillies Vs. Cardinals in NLCS

Rangers Vs. Tigers in ALCS.

Toss up on who goes to the World Series with those 4.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-03-07 at 09:31 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man I hate being an A's fan It's like we are a farm team for big market teams and now that Angels and Rangers are spending crazy amounts of money I don't see the A's doing any good any time soon. At least there's always the Astros...

ooooooooh snap Pettite's back

Yanks now have 7 starting pitchers.. who's the odd man out?

Sabathia
    Kuroda
    Pineda
    Nova
    Garcia
    Hughes
    Pettite
    Last edited by sheffield; 2012-03-16 at 05:17 PM.

Yeah shocked by the Pettite announcement - haven't been sat on my ass like that for a long time!

Turns out that Cashman had offered Pettitte $10-12m before they got Kuroda & Pineda, have to say if they get a few starts out of him then it could possibly be a bargain at $2.5m, plus having him on board as a source of wisdom for the younger staff members could make that a very wise investment (although hopefully his first piece of advice will be "if you can't get it from the head athletic trainer, don't use it!"). Yankees looking at him possibly being 7 weeks off being in shape, Freddy Garcia seems to be put out of joint by it a bit though, from the quotes i read he seems a little annoyed that the Yankees have brought ANOTHER starter into camp when they already had one too many. To be honest, while i don't mind Garcia there's sufficient doubt as to if he'll be able to avoid being smacked around, pitches are too slow & he's a contact pitcher in a division with some scary bats in a yard where you can pop one out pretty easily - Pettitte might not be blowing them away either, but on the whole he's a much better pitcher than Garcia and Freddy knows it!

Meanwhile the bats for the Yankees coughed into life over the past couple of days - Arod's homer was big but jesus did you see the distance on that Cano blast today and that was with the wind blowing in!

Cabrera took one in the face. Ouch.

What's worse is that my fantasy league drafted yesterday... The guy who picked him must be stabbing himself in the eyes right now.
    I remember it all too well

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Cabrera took one in the face. Ouch.

What's worse is that my fantasy league drafted yesterday... The guy who picked him must be stabbing himself in the eyes right now.
    Why? He got some stitches, likely has absolutely no other injury and will miss exactly zero time outside of maybe a spring training game or two. Safe to say that that guy is insane if he is upset with his pick.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Why? He got some stitches, likely has absolutely no other injury and will miss exactly zero time outside of maybe a spring training game or two. Safe to say that that guy is insane if he is upset with his pick.
    It's being reported as an orbital fracture. They're being optimistic about him making opening day, but you know how teams say things like that.

Edit: I know he's not going to be amazing at third base (defensively), but I watched some video of that... it was a rocket that took a crazy bounce at the edge of the grass. Could have easily happened to even the best third baseman.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-03-20 at 05:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's being reported as an orbital fracture. They're being optimistic about him making opening day, but you know how teams say things like that.
    Ya, that sucks. All the reports when I posted were just stitches and nothing worse. Fractured orbital sucks. Still worth the pick though in the first round, maybe not first overall like in some drafts. I still find it funny that a guy in my hockey fantasy league took Sidney Crosby around 7th despite his injury and bleak outlook at the time. Even if Crosby had played half a season he probably would have been worth a first round pick though.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya, that sucks. All the reports when I posted were just stitches and nothing worse. Fractured orbital sucks. Still worth the pick though in the first round, maybe not first overall like in some drafts.
    I'm sure he'll be fine. He was dealing with personal things rather than an injury last spring, and he came out with a hell of a season. The personal things are more likely to affect his play, I'd think. And hitting in front of Fielder can only make him better... he's never had someone like that defending him in a lineup.

They said it's lucky he was wearing sun glasses... they could see the seams of the baseball imprinted on the lens. Hopefully he doesn't go the way of Kirby Puckett... some people think getting hit by a pitch in the eye is what eventually led to his career-ending blindness.

Early reports made it look like he was going to be out for a while. Good to know he's going to be well.

Looked like it smacked him in the glasses which then shoved down into his face - it was a brutal hop though, just one of those freak Spring Training things which happen from time to time, i wouldn't expect him to miss much time. What he gives up on D for fantasy teams i predict he'll make up with the bat though!

Well, my pitchers are starting to get hoofed. I thought Carpenter would be able to pull off a half decent season and he's now out indefinitely. I've also got Ted Lilly who looks like is going to had a mundane season by all accounts

10+ Year Old Account
    Joba Chamberlain is done maybe for good http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/sp...ng-career.html there goes his walking stick/s.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Joba Chamberlain is done maybe for good http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/24/sp...ng-career.html there goes his walking stick/s.
    He should get together with Zumaya and trade freakish injury stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's some injury that you would see on Rotten.com or what ever freak website is still out there.

I heard someone say the Joba injury was potentially life threatening - busted some artery or something like that. Either way it goes what a dumbass move, besides the fact he's coming back from Tommy John surgery which could have been destroyed by this, he's a hefty fella & the season is underway, he shouldn't have been ON the trampoline to start with. Not like he's a key cog in the Bullpen to be honest when you have basically the last 3 innings shut down with Robertson, Soriano & Rivera, you'd like to think the Yankees starters can make it though 6 innings night in night out - do i feel sorry for the guy, a little, but ultimately he made a poor decision and he could have to live with it forever. Case in point would be to look at Kendry Morales - he's only just coming back after that accident at the plate nearly 2 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one cares. Its baseball. College Basketball is KING. GO WILDCATS!

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Case in point would be to look at Kendry Morales - he's only just coming back after that accident at the plate nearly 2 years ago.
    That was pretty freakish, though. Pretty normal behavior to celebrate at the plate.