Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Killing Viscidus (AQ40) tips?

I'm trying to kill Viscidus, but it looks like it's not happening. Does anyone have a source for better information than the wowhead comments for him?

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15299#comments

I'm convinced that the "75 hits to pop him" aspect of it is incorrect (see linked video for my take on that), and the 100 hits-to-freeze is definitely outdated information.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBIRsd1NGgs

It seems to me that rogues just won't be able to do this unless we get some crazy green haste MoP gear, but even then I'm so far away from accomplishing it, that either I'm missing something key, or it's just undoable. Either way, I'd still like to know the actual number of hits needed these days.
    Last edited by discoepfeand; 2012-03-24 at 03:18 PM.

Need a source of frost damage IIRC. I think there might be an item you can use, but yeah, otherwise it can't be done by a rogue as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by discoepfeand View Post
    I'm trying to kill Viscidus, but it looks like it's not happening. Does anyone have a source for better information than the wowhead comments for him?

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15299#comments

I'm convinced that the "75 hits to pop him" aspect of it is incorrect (see linked video for my take on that), and the 100 hits-to-freeze is definitely outdated information.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBIRsd1NGgs

It seems to me that rogues just won't be able to do this unless we get some crazy green haste MoP gear, but even then I'm so far away from accomplishing it, that either I'm missing something key, or it's just undoable.
    Well, last time I killed it we were 3 I think, 1 enhance shaman, 1 rogue, 1 warrior and what we did was buy 2x 1.4 speed daggers each, pop BL + haste pot and that was just enough to break the ice so I doubt it's going to be soloable anytime soon, if ever.

Apparently there has been people soloing it so I guess it is possible.

Seems to be only DKs and Hunters able to solo due to snake trap and army of the dead which adds quite a lot of attacks but I'd assume impossible for any other class.
    Last edited by Dahij; 2012-03-24 at 03:35 PM.

you need frost damage to freeze it and dps it like crazy when it's frozen.

Deleted
    Any other attacks but frost are usless aginst him. It takes alot of frost attack hits to freeze him and then you only can kill him.

I think there was a dk who managed to solo him.

He equipped 2 very fast 1 handers and froze him.
    when frozen he popped army and haste drums (was in wotlk).

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I froze him no problem (it just takes about 17 minutes with my two 1.3 speed daggers with Deathfrost enchant).

My problem is coming once he's frozen - the "75 melee hits to pop him" once frozen seems to be bad info, which I'm trying to get a correction on if anyone knows it.

And yes, both a DK (army) and a Hunter (3x snake traps) have solo'd him.

Dahij, you didn't happen to save a combatlog or fraps of your kill, did you?

I had always thought it was 200 frost hits and 150 melee hits, unless the source I was reading was outdated. I don't remember where that was, though, way too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by discoepfeand View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I froze him no problem (it just takes about 17 minutes with my two 1.3 speed daggers with Deathfrost enchant).

My problem is coming once he's frozen - the "75 melee hits to pop him" once frozen seems to be bad info, which I'm trying to get a correction on if anyone knows it.

And yes, both a DK (army) and a Hunter (3x snake traps) have solo'd him.

Dahij, you didn't happen to save a combatlog or fraps of your kill, did you?
    No, it was quite long time ago, I think somewhere mid wotlk.

Thanks poisonedLizard - The 200 frost hits is definitely wrong (I got him to freeze multiple times at 100 deathfrost procs). But the melee hits once frozen - It may still be 150 as you suggest, or 100, or something like that. I'm not close enough to figure it out :-\

@Dahij - thanks again, it was worth asking at least

It just count melee white hits, and its still over 100 at least to shatter it. It's probably easiest to just summon 1 or 2 people to help you with it if you are trying to farm it every week for something.

As others have mentioned, a frost dk could probably solo this. but it requires AoD, Ghoul, 2 really fast 1 handers (damage isn't an issue, you just need to hit), and anything that can give you more haste.

I've duoed this on my frost dk with a fury warrior, but I still needed AoD and Ghoul to meet the melee hit requirement.

If you want to just play it safe, bring 3 people. Chances are you're going to be doing all of AQ40 as it is and 3 people on C'thun makes it so much less of a headache than trying to duo it. Dunno if it's still possible to solo by pulling another boss to C'thun.

Source of frost damage is easy to acquire: http://www.wowhead.com/search?q=brunnhildar
    I don't know how many physical hits are required (I would assume any attack that is physical counts), but two snake traps while nuking with Rapid Fire is enough in the case of a hunter. A third snake trap can be done if you pop one trap with the cooldown ready, place another, then readiness and place a third.
    As for amount of frost hits, the last time I was there, it was 216. The first yellow message would pop at 108 hits (50%), the next at 162 (75%) and the last at 216 (100%). I know this because I had Recount open, showing the amount of times Viscidus had been hit by the frost component of the Brunnhildar Bow.
    A final tip: Make sure Viscidus gets to 1 hp before shattering him, otherwise you have to shatter him again, even if you kill all globs. Even with current high end gear a hunter would have to equip his or her normal bow for about 25% I think to get it to 1 hp by the time the 216 frost attacks have been performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    It definitely was 200 before. It's very possible it got changed to 100 instead though, wouldn't surprise me - they always change these kind of requirements for old content, see Vashj.

For melee hits, I don't think it counts special attacks.
    It's still 200, unless they changed it last week. Got him to freeze after 200 hits with the Brunnhildar Bow. Not sure about the melee hits though, seems to be closer to 100 than 75.

It's 200 frost hits, 75 melee in 15 seconds. We used a Frost Mage and two Frost DK's. When he froze; pop lust and summon two armies and it gets it down.

Whenever anyone gets nostalgic about vanilla raiding, bringing up the stupidity of Viscidus usually snaps them out of it.

It's somewhat incosistent for this boss. You need 200 frost attacks with something like Frost Oil (and the Brunhildar weapons obviously), but only 100 hits with the Deathfrost enchant. I've tried both, and the numbers match 100%. You can even mix both, the ratio is then 2 Frost Oil procs for 1 Deathfrost proc, but I would advise against that, as it makes predicting when the phase changes happens quite difficult.

As for shattering him, I'm pretty sure at this point that special attacks do not count at all. On my last try I had 57 white melee hits, 12 Sinister Strikes, 10 Killing Spree and 11 Main Gauche hits, for a total of 90 physical hits during that 15 seconds window. I didn't even see the second emote ("Viscidus looks ready to shatter!").

Probably going to switch back to pet trinkets, as with those I actually did see this emote.
    Though I'm leaning towards that this boss is not possible as a rogue at the moment.

Well, I think I've hit a roadblock here now. I've successfully verified that pets like the Barov Peasons do count against the hit limit, as do special attacks (by trying out a lot of different combinations and writing down the amount of hits, for which I've written a dedicated addon). But I simply cannot get enough hits to actually shatter the boss.

I'm pretty positive by now that you need 50 physical hits (this includes special attacks and pet attacks) to trigger the first emote ("Viscidus begins to crack!") and 100 to trigger the second ("Viscidus looks ready to shatter!"), but beyond that I don't know. Though it's certainly more than 115, as this was my amount of hits I was able to land in my latest attempt.

I've uploaded my latest attempt (only the frozen phase). Please note that I forgot to include the hits done by the Killing Spree Off-Hand in the addon seen in the video, so the amount of hits is exactly 5 more right from the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5X7zOtTqVA

According to my sheet, a troll rogue could possibly achieve 125 phyiscal attacks in this 15 seconds window with his Berserking racial But beyond that, reaching 150 hits, it seems rather impossible (does Berserking stack with Heroism/Bloodlust?), especially if you're not a troll.

Maybe I'll try bringing along a Shaman who provides a Windfury totem and Heroism for the shatter phase, just to see how many hits I can actually land this way. And to narrow down the amount required.

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 08:29 PM ----------

Ok, done something I should've probably done a long time ago, I simply went ahead and gave it a shot with my DK. And what should I say, I didn't even need to try that hard, he felt over pretty soon.

I was also able to confirm my theory, you need indeed 150 physical attacks (auto attacks, pet hits, special attacks that deal physical damage) within that 15 seconds time frame you have. And not only 75.

Which makes it pretty impossible as a rogue. At least I can't think of anything that would grant me even more haste, and certainly nothing in that ordner of magnitude.

Video of the kill with a Death Knight (with hit counter in the chat window):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3lU5E6miUo

I was able to solo him today as a 86 Elemental Shaman. Basically get him down to 1hp and use frost shock every time it us up on cooldown. When he is frozen solo. Summon your Earth Elemental pet and use your character to auto attack. I believe I only had to do this once, but if it doesn't work the first time do this rotation again. Just glad the pet dropped on that attempt lol

15+ Year Old Account
    It's very easy. Aff lock (me) and SPriest did it. Nuke him to 1% then just melee. I used VW which probably helped. No frost damage needed anymore.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2013-01-24 at 11:41 PM.