Warlocks and soloing old content.

Hi all.
    My main is DK and I love doing old content with him (blood is awesome for this). But Im looking now for caster alt and I wonder which one can solo more stuff? I have 85 lvl mage but did not try with him, I have also 80 lvl warlock (Hand of Adal, good memories from BC) and I wonder is this class best for soloing? Can he solo Kaelthas in TK? Is it harder than with DK?
    And whats the best spec for soloing? Affli? Demo?

PS: I know in beta Demo lock soloed even Morchok but I think this will change, Im asking about current "live state".

In Live, DK is by far and away the easiest class to solo with. Locks pale *hugely* by comparison. (A distant second would be hunter, and probably then warlock).

You can solo:

Everything in Classic mostly. Not sure about Twin Emps.
    All of T4 raids (very easy, except Chess is tricky)
    The Battle of Mount Hyjal (at least the first four, not sure about Archimonde)
    All of Tempest Keep, but Kael'thas is quite difficult
    SSC I heard is doable but hard
    BT/SWP are not very doable
    Archavon, Emalon, and Koravon in VoA
    Sarth 3D
    All of Naxx (difficult!)
    Malygos
    All of Ulduar (very difficult!)

Cataclysm you can do Stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle easily on normal. Not sure about the rest (heroics or GB, HoO, LcoT but I would reckon GB is easy).

From all of the casters I would reckon that warlocks are the best to solo old raids with.

It is mostly because of the minions which will act as the tank.

Frost mages may have a water element but the mage pet isn't a aggro machine like the void or felguard. Having the pet allows you to actually get off a cast which would otherwise be impossible.

Deleted
    Twin Emps in AQ are soloable. Not so difficult. Everything in Hyjal, TK, Sunwell except Kalecgos.
    I can add to that list the Trial of the Crusader-10 . I just full cleared it yesterday.

Demo is by far the best spec for soloing, if not the only one. The voidwalker is a great tank, and demo, especially if you use a pre-pull mastery gear switch, does a lot of dps. You may only use afflic for fight where specific mechanics prevent you to use a pet (f.i. Kel'thuzad).

Also Naxxramas is not that hard. I had 378 ilvl when I completed Naxx 15/15, now with DS gear you can brute-force most of the fights.
    Last edited by mmoc79b51183ff; 2012-03-26 at 01:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can solo RFC, with some difficulty!
    Hah, nah i'm not big on soloing :P

But with the MoP talents and abilities, and 5more levels. I bet we can solo nearly everything of old content. Glyph of demon hunting = /faceroll

Quote Originally Posted by Ysen View Post
    Twin Emps in AQ are soloable. Not so difficult. Everything in Hyjal, TK, Sunwell except Kalecgos.
    I can add to that list the Trial of the Crusader-10 . I just full cleared it yesterday.

Demo is by far the best spec for soloing, if not the only one. The voidwalker is a great tank, and demo, especially if you use a pre-pull mastery gear switch, does a lot of dps. You may only use afflic for fight where specific mechanics prevent you to use a pet (f.i. Kel'thuzad).

Also Naxxramas is not that hard. I had 378 ilvl when I completed Naxx 15/15, now with DS gear you can brute-force most of the fights.
    Are you doing Naxx in Beta with Meta-tanking, or do you mean on live??? If it's Live, I'm quite impressed and would love to watch your videos when I get home tonight. Also, curious how you do Twin Emps as solo. Does the Emp aggro on the pet as the nearest 'player'? Or else how do you keep them from healing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

It is mostly because of the minions which will act as the tank.
    Pets cant even overaggro shouting nasty language at the boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfariessence View Post
    Are you doing Naxx in Beta with Meta-tanking, or do you mean on live??? If it's Live, I'm quite impressed and would love to watch your videos when I get home tonight. Also, curious how you do Twin Emps as solo. Does the Emp aggro on the pet as the nearest 'player'? Or else how do you keep them from healing?
    No I mean live, I don't have a beta access.
    For the twins, I just over-dps their healing. It's too much pain to try to keep them apart. I do use a small trick at the pull, using the yogg-saron tentacle trinket, which tanks one twin for a few sec while I burn the other one.
    All the vids are on my channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    with new glyph a warlock solod 10man morchok i think that list or hard just became a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    All of Ulduar? How is that possible? Surely you're mistaken.
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivatives View Post
    All of Ulduar? How is that possible? Surely you're mistaken.
    To be precise it's all of Ulduar except Algalon and Thorim. 12/14.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be precise it's all of Ulduar except Algalon and Thorim. 12/14.
    Oh okay. I was thinking there would be a few fights in there that would be near impossible. I'm surprised at Yogg though. >.>
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Just wanted to say: Effing amazing sir. You have my utmost respect. Everytime some asshat says "the glyph was only intended so warlocks could solo old content!!!" I'll be sure to tell them if they were better players they'd be soloing stuff on live right now, and then link them your channel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfariessence View Post
    Just wanted to say: Effing amazing sir. You have my utmost respect. Everytime some asshat says "the glyph was only intended so warlocks could solo old content!!!" I'll be sure to tell them if they were better players they'd be soloing stuff on live right now, and then link them your channel.
    Well thank you.

Something I noticed among our community, is that some warlocks don't seem to know what their class is fully capable of (soloing wise). e.g. it's been more than a year since the first kill, but I still read on various forums people that don't think you can solo Kael'thas in TK.
    Maybe all they saw was that death knight soloing the Lich King video, and they thought "well I'll never be able to compete with that". But they're wrong. So yeah dk can kill a bit more bosses than us, and yeah hunters have it way easier than us. But that doesn't mean we can't have our fun killing those big beasts that took a full raid to defeat last expansion. Locks don't "pale *hugely*" by comparison.

So no need to wait for MoP to start soloing. Go give your voidwalker some love.
    If that demon hunter glyph does make it live, probably it would indeed make soloing much easier, and would open more doors. But I'm gonna wait for a more elaborate version of that glyph before considering it, we all know it's gonna be nerfed (we'll know more in the next beta build at least).
    Who wanna bet a warlock will have Ragnaros-FL world first solo?

I'm able to solo most of the old instances on my warlock

Deleted
    So what spec was the best to solo? demonology or aff?

Infracted for thread necromancy
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-01-29 at 11:58 PM.

Necromancy accusation incoming.

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inactivity View Post
    BT/SWP are not very doable
    can't speak for SWP, but i solo bt just about every week extremely easily. even before forge nerf.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    So what spec was the best to solo? demonology or aff?
    demonology with dark apothesis glyph by a long shot. give your felguard threat/taunt aura for fights with gimmicky tank mechanics. win.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

BT is very easy to solo. SWP is possible, but a couple of bosses can be tricky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, since this thread is from before Mists I'm going to close it, else people will get confused since so much has changed.

You can find all the Mists information in this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ng-Old-Content

It's the perfect place for any questions you might have about warlock soloing.