Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Podcast] Tales of Tyria

Current Episode

Tales of Tyria #60: Just the Two of Us

We're back after about a month off! We jump into some interesting discussions this week starting with some feedback from our audience that turns into a full fledged WvW discussion. Then we lead into some rumors about upcoming content and a few links. Lastly, we take the time to discuss Magic Find mechanics and Wintersday.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLOhl04HEis[/media]

Watch | Listen | Download | Show Notes | Subscribe

Episode 60:
    • 03:26 - Storytime: Speculation about the Karka
    • 08:40 - Feedback: WvW & Elder Scrolls Online
    • 34:20 - News: Rumors, Mythbusters, and Grouping
    • 40:00 - Table Scraps: Magic Find, Wintersday

Question of the Week - What aspects of the game are you playing right now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let us know what you think and send us feedback. Also, watch us live on Sunday nights @ 7pm EDT.
    More episodes available in the archive
    Last edited by Bridger; 2013-01-14 at 08:58 PM.

Mod Approval for this. This is the official Tales of Tyria thread so all new videos/discussion ect. are gonna stay in here.

Question of the Week - What are your feelings on the Gem store?
    I'm looking forward to being able to buy things from the cash shop without having to spend money. I'm the type of player that basically puts his soul into a game when they play it. Before the gems were introduced I wasn't really expecting to buy much from the cash shop, but now I have that option to buy things with gold and it'll be something I can do easily since I'll be playing the game so much.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I'm looking forward to being able to buy things from the cash shop without having to spend money. I'm the type of player that basically puts his soul into a game when they play it. Before the gems were introduced I wasn't really expecting to buy much from the cash shop, but now I have that option to buy things with gold and it'll be something I can do easily since I'll be playing the game so much.
    I think I'll probably be able to afford some knick knack from the Gem store every month or so, but at the cost of not using that gold for something else in the game. It's going to depend how I value the different things. Surely I value the additional character slots a lot more than a slightly more powerful sword when I'm at level 50 and it's only going to get replaced in a few days.

Ya it won't be something I'll do a lot. I mean, it'll have to be something I really want, or need like an additional char slot, but at least now the option is there if I ever want to take advantage of it.

My feelings for the Gem store are thus:
    It's a great idea to include such a store, as it gives additional revenue for the company. People can either support them by buying gems or don't spend money at all. It's not going to effect you any differently and you can buy them with in game currency.
    As long as you can't buy better gear or stat increases from the store to give advantages over others, I'm a full supporter (selling gems for gold for material/gear isn't the same thing in my book).
    Exp/influence bonuses are alright by me, as it gives no advantages over yourself to other players, and a 10% increase isn't huge. Creatures give you very low exp per kill anyways and influence is only usable for your guild.
    I personally will probably buy Exp bonus items, I want to get to 80 fast but a 10% increase to my exp will not effect me much because I will still experience the game almost as much as anyone else, and will most likely buy character slot increases once I get over my initial 5 characters or make sure I can name hold some toons for when I do decide to level another (currently only have 3 character bios done anyway).

I can't wait for the game, I personally stopped playing other MMOs for now (October or November of 2011) to get a even more refreshed feeling once the game comes out. Take my money ANet, hopefully you will be hiring people when I finish my degree~
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Yay, this is actually a really good Podcast, much better than most, hell I think one of the best parts is that you guys use visuals instead of just talking while I watch a blank screen. No one just sits and listens to a Podcast and expects it to be successful, or, not this day in age on topics such as these. If that were the case, then the news on the radio would rival the news of television stations to this day.

GJ ToT cast.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

Quote Originally Posted by IplayHorde View Post
    Yay, this is actually a really good Podcast, much better than most, hell I think one of the best parts is that you guys use visuals instead of just talking while I watch a blank screen. No one just sits and listens to a Podcast and expects it to be successful, or, not this day in age on topics such as these. If that were the case, then the news on the radio would rival the news of television stations to this day.

GJ ToT cast.
    The only podcasts I listen to are audio podcasts. I listen to them in the car and at the gym, or while doing work around the house. This podcast is primarily an audio discussion show, however, I've added a video component and I'm trying to make the most of it for the people who do want something to actually watch.

We will, of course, have much more in depth video content when we can actually get our hands on the game. I'll personally be working on guides/tutorials/tips&tricks videos/etc. I'll also be casting Structured PvP matches live and making those available (at least, I will when they add spectator mode *crosses fingers*). The main Tales of Tyria Podcast (and it's soon to be PvP sister podcast - "Straight Talk with Tales of Tyria") will always be discussions about ongoing issues in the community as well as news updates an opinion pieces. We'll also do build breakdowns and the like in both audio and video format.

Hopefully once the game comes out I can make even better use of the video section of the main show as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always looking for what can make the show better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Question of the Week - What are your feelings on the Gem store?
    It's too early to say for sure, but going on the leaked items minus the megaphone (which I believe has been removed), I think there's nothing there that causes me concern from the "It'll make people OP" point of view.

In looking at some items, such as the Keys - I would hope they drop or are available in game. Going from the screenshots I have seen, a key costs 125 gems, and working on a conversion ratio of $25.00 for 2000 gems means each key I buy costs $1.56 roughly. I realise they're optional, but it strikes me that there's a large temptation to get a key and open it should a box get into your posession, and depending on the amount of boxes you get, that could add up quite severely.

Totally OT: Welcome to the MMOC forums Bridger, hope you and the crew enjoy your stay here, and props to the team for a great podcast!

Updated to Episode #25: LegacyCast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bridger, I'll be honest you guys actually got me with Freelancer being the new host and you being hired by Anet. I didn't realize it was April Fool's until FL mentioned he was gonna talk about Pandas for 30 mins.. that was a dead giveaway. gj though haha!!
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-04-02 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    Bridger, I'll be honest you guys actually got me with Freelancer being the new host and you being hired by Anet. I didn't realize it was April Fool's until FL mentioned he was gonna talk about Pandas for 30 mins.. that was a dead giveaway. gj though haha!!
    Free will be happy to hear that. He was worried about his performance, he thought he'd crack. I told him to channel Stephen Colbert, master of srs face.

Episode 25: @27:00 - Thanks for the say on MMOC It's nice hearing nice stuff said xD
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Episode 25: @27:00 - Thanks for the say on MMOC It's nice hearing nice stuff said xD
    Yeah I did a double take when I heard that, but it's very true. Awesome podcast btw, keep it up! /subscribed

Never heard of these podcasts before but definitely plan on checking them out. Looks like a lot of good info/good debates on them.

Deleted
    I'm such an idiot for actually believing that you got hired by ArenaNet to do official podcasts. Glad you are still here though! Just wondering, do you only do the podcasts with team legacy members? Or are you open to, let's say, mixing it up with mmo-champion posters like Mif?

"IF YOU'RE COMPLETELY IN FAVOR OF ADDONS, WHY is this.. loading.. so slow.."
    Glad this is here, wouldn't have found the podcast otherwise. Something to listen to while I'm mindlessly playing through my backlog of games. Thanks!

Actually, when the podcast started, Freelancer was the only person on it in Team Legacy. Shortly after, I started looking around at guilds, and, having spoken to him about his guild, looked into it and decided to apply. After that, we encouraged Greight, Vega, and Aku to join. Kaeyi is the only holdout (she runs her own guild called Deuces). Edwinshap, who came on for our lore episode, was not in TL at the time, but he also eventually joined TL. Malchior was also on the show (episode 7 I think?) where we talked about the legacy of GW1's PvP. Shortly afterwards he joined up with TL as well.

So, to answer your question: Do you need to be in TL to be on the podcast? Answer: No, but after you appear up on the show, you'll join anyway :P

To answer your question more directly, however, the main show now has 4 main hosts (Freelancer, Vega, Kaeyi, and myself). This rotation covers many different points of view and personalities, and I think it works very well. When one of the main hosts can't make it, I tap Aku, Greight, Malchior, or some other trusted party (Like OkuRaku), to join us. For the PvP Show (Straight Talk), Freelancer and I will be the only consistent hosts, with notable community members rotating in. These might be high level PvP players, team managers, Guild leaders, streamers, etc. I expect that most of the time we'll be bringing specific people on to talk about a specific subject. If team Y wins a tournament, we might have MVP X from team Y on the show the next week to talk about how they developed their strategy, and why it worked against the current meta. It will sometimes take an interview style format. It's also still in the development stages, but this is our current thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    -snip-
    I'd like to listen to 26, I was working when it was live.
    Get to it, Bridger.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I'd like to listen to 26, I was working when it was live.
    Get to it, Bridger.
    Done! Episode #26 is up!