Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

How is SW:TOR Holding On ?

Greetings Fellow Readers,

I last properly saw news of this highly anticipated game when it was released. How is it going so far, and how are you finding the end game? Is it indeed an MMO which has a potential to compete with World of Warcraft, or not? :-)

And my last question, is the future for the game promising?
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

10+ Year Old Account
    They're working hard to release 1.2 (legacy system, new operations, new warzones, rated warzones, more dailies), and eventually dungeon finders. End-game is so so with raids being a bit...bland. Leveling is fantastic, though, with a very immersive, class-specific storyline (though it gets old if you do it more than once).

I think it's a promising game.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Other than the server population issues, which is normal for a newly launched MMO, things are going quite well in my opinion. Once they implement some server transfers and/or mergers, things will be great.

have you tried reading threads about it, in the forum you just posted?

That is the best advice I can give, other than, big QoL patch inc soon

I dont have a perspective on end-game, but the leveling experience is really awesome.

Deleted
    I still like it, and play it a lot...
    Got a Inqui + Sabo on 50...currently working on a Sage.

I dunno if i continue playing this much though... just received D3 Beta
    Gonna keep the Sub running though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Other than the server population issues, which is normal for a newly launched MMO, things are going quite well in my opinion. Once they implement some server transfers and/or mergers, things will be great.
    There won't be any server merges. Merging servers is tantamount to admitting the game is dying and they won't do that. Plus, you'll have a bunch of servers where characters will lose their names, and that will tick off a lot of players and cause some cancellations.

If players want to get on better servers, they're likely going to have to do it themselves by rerolling.

Deleted
    I will tick your questions one at a time:

"How is it doing so far?"
    In my opinion, it seems to be doing quite well. Servers aren't really loaded or anything but I never get the feeling of questing all alone or standing in ghosttowns. As far as I can see there is a healthy amount of players in the game, but then my server is one of these with medium population (there are some medium, a handful high and many with standard (or low?)). But I suppose that some server merging wouldn't hurt at all for the less populous players.

"How are you finding the end game?"
    Decent. Decent for a new MMO. People say "oh but there are only this and this many raids and instances" and immediately begin counting all the instances and raids WoW has to prop up their opinion of lack of end game. I always ask them this question: Do you still go to all these raids or instances? Or do you only focus on the instances in the latest expansion and the latest raid? They mostly avoid that question because that is how it works, and with that as a background I think SWTOR holds up quite well, even if thing sare a bit too easy.

"Is it indeed an MMO which has a potential to compete with World of Warcraft, or not?"
    No. No game can compete with WoW for one thing and one thing alone: Player attachment. It isn't easy to leave a 7 year old game in which you know so many other players, have good memories and long standing characters whom you have 10k achievement points in. WoW broke the mold and therefore it will reign supreme for a while longer. But then we have to ask ourselves the following: Does SWTOR have to compete with WoW? No it doesn't. It can be good on its own merits (clone or not) which I think it is. The worst parts of the story in this game vastly outperform the best parts in WoW's story, due to WoW having none. There are a few shallow plots that cover the entire conflict, but that is about it. When half the sidequests revolve around saving a gnome's hat from a pack of boars 8because it is always boars) I really don't think WoW is better at telling a story, at all, not even close.

Potential to compete? Who knows? Who thought that WoW would kill Everquest when it was released? Not many I wager, the future will tell.

"Is the future for the game promising?"
    Yes. Patching is good and most issues have thus far been resolved. The game runs like silk now and I have no CTDs or anything which I always had, regarldess of expansion, in WoW. Alot more content is coming up as well which everyone seems to be looking forward to.

Oh, and PvP is quite good too, I think that it feels more tactical than WoW's PvP where a crit can take away two thirds of your health bar, this is slower and thus less reliant on luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude...I made it to level 38 in the game and haven't touched it since...they questing sucks...its not fun at all...having to kill 400 mobs to do one quest is retarded...its turned into to much of a grind fest for me...

You need to tell us specifically what you don't like about it otherwise it looks like you're just bashing the game mate. It's the difference between constructive criticism and just criticism. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-04-03 at 10:13 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    If players want to get on better servers, they're likely going to have to do it themselves by rerolling.
    They have already stated that server transfers are coming. I think the soft ETA was 1.3 or 1.4

They have already stated that server transfers are coming. I think the soft ETA was 1.3 or 1.4
    but future patches don't matter to the here and now, let alone if they are not assigned due dates. If anything they need to move transfers up to "as soon as we can deliver it" because hard cores will up and roll on a new server whereas most others will just quit playing. That turns into a snowball and they need to get out in front of it today, now some mythical future date.

As for the OP.
    1) Don't know, waiting out dual spec. Based on forum traffic at three sites I frequent I would say its waning and waning hard.

2) Sucked. Sorry, really the end game blew chunks. I guess it was more frustration with bugs and having waited for the bugs to get fixed to having to deal with loss of members in the guild.

3) Hell no. (and I do not even own a battlenet account anymore).
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by Nastydeath View Post
    Dude...I made it to level 38 in the game and haven't touched it since...they questing sucks...its not fun at all...having to kill 400 mobs to do one quest is retarded...its turned into to much of a grind fest for me...
    One thing is that you don't like the game, but to lie to make it look even more stupid is not nice.

To the OP: The game has it pro's and cons. Llv'ing is awsome (IMO) and the end game is somewhat decent. PvP is ok fun also. The problem is that for me tha game still feels a bit unfinished. Hopefully 1.2 will remove most of that feeling. Overall I think it's a good game and if Bioware gets the various bugs sorted and release new content in a steady pace (once every 1½-2 month) then it will do just fine. You don't need 10 mill players to be succesfull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    One thin is that you don't like the game, but to lie to make it look even more stupid is not nice.
    wait...what...I wasn't lying...I was stating how I felt about the game...please don't call me a liar for stating my opinion...now that is not nice

I haven't really been following what the timeline on patches is. Do you know when 1.3/1.4 is coming out? The reason I quit playing is because I felt like I couldn't find a decent raiding guild on my server. I've got buddies playing on other servers, but I have no desire to reroll so I've been waiting for transfers.

wait...what...I wasn't lying...I was stating how I felt about the game...please don't call me a liar for stating my opinion...now that is not nice
    Needing to kill 400 mobs for one quest? I think that was a little lie wasn't it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Needing to kill 400 mobs for one quest? I think that was a little lie wasn't it :P
    Ok...maybe I exaggerated a bit...but still when I have to kill EVERY single mob to get to an area...do my quest...then have to kill EVERY single mob to get back out...seriously...I"m tired of kill EVERY single mob I come across, because if I don't they will aggro to me and kill me.../sigh...I"m sry I just don't like the game...the questing was ok at first...but honestly it has turned into to much of a grind

Ok...maybe I exaggerated a bit...but still when I have to kill EVERY single mob to get to an area...do my quest...then have to kill EVERY single mob to get back out...seriously...I"m tired of kill EVERY single mob I come across, because if I don't they will aggro to me and kill me.../sigh...I"m sry I just don't like the game...the questing was ok at first...but honestly it has turned into to much of a grind
    Tbh.. I see what you mean, but you have to remember that most of the quest where you need to kill X amount of Y are bonus quests that are totally optional.

Deleted
    End game seems to be a let-down. Half my WoW guild left to play SWTOR and more than half is back already, as they reached lvl 50 and got extremely disappointed with the end game (some of them still had weeks of paid subscription left and still uninstalled the game and stuff) :S.

What you are saying is still not true, unless you blindly walk through groups of mobs making no attempt to avoid them.
    Of course, there are some caves where respawns are a little fast, but majority of groups even in populated places are easy to avoid.

In addition, most of the 'kill x mobs' quests are bonus to quests, and dont need to be done.

-snip-

You can debate a topic without insulting forum members and making personal attacks. If you feel a forum member is spreading misinformation then report the post and move on. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-04-03 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebren View Post
    I haven't really been following what the timeline on patches is. Do you know when 1.3/1.4 is coming out? The reason I quit playing is because I felt like I couldn't find a decent raiding guild on my server. I've got buddies playing on other servers, but I have no desire to reroll so I've been waiting for transfers.
    We don't even know when 1.2 is going to come out, other than this month. I tend to agree with the people predicting the 17th, but no telling. We also know that they have said the turn-around time between 1.2 and 1.3 will be shorter than 1.1 to 1.2. It won;t be as big as 1.2 so will take less time and they are already working on some of the stuff for it while the teams that are polishing up 1.2 are on that other teams are getting stuff prepped for 1.3 I am sure. I would guess late may/early june for 1.3 and hopefully 1.4 by end of July.

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    True that. They would rather have players suffer and complain about it, rather than acting like men and admitting things aren't going as planned and doing the damn server merges. In the marketing world, it's really not a good idea to admit your error.
    It would be even worse to let servers sit there dead that people are bored on and quitting while it is costing you money to run that server. No doubt mergers are coming once they get transfer system in and the Oceanic population has moved where they want to so BW can get an accurate picture of the servers. I would be willing to bet we will have mergers by 1.4.