Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What's wrong with what I linked? That's a desktop computer sure, but it beats anything you have linked with miles and at that budget you don't have much choice.

Either get that or wait for a Trinity-based laptop. That's my honest recommendation. Getting 6, hell even 3 year old hardware is a waste.
    No offence bro theres nothing wrong with what you linked but that theyre all just parts like i wouldnt have a clue about how to going about putting them all together. Im not really that knowledgable with desktops and laptop hardware i know the basics but thats it. I only use them for University work and games But whats the trinity bases laptop like how is it different from any of the ones out today?

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 09:07 PM ----------

Ok i give in. I have a max £400 budget. And im willing to buy a desktop! As before I need it for University work and be able to play games like WOW smoothly on decent settings. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

Deleted
    Building a computer is like playing with LEGO, just slightly more advanced and the bricks cost more. I'm totally serious here. The most important things to keep in mind when building a computer for the first time is to:
    A: Take your time.
    B: Take your time.
    C: Read the manuals.
    D: Ask someone if you aren't sure about something.
    E: Patience and to take your time.

Here, there are plenty of threads on this and other forums that can help you not to mention nice guides. Check here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Threads-Links

Newegg also has a good and thorough video guide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Building a computer is like playing with LEGO, just slightly more advanced and the bricks cost more. I'm totally serious here. The most important things to keep in mind when building a computer for the first time is to:
    A: Take your time.
    B: Take your time.
    C: Read the manuals.
    D: Ask someone if you aren't sure about something.
    E: Patience and to take your time.

Here, there are plenty of threads on this and other forums that can help you not to mention nice guides. Check here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Threads-Links

Newegg also has a good and thorough video guide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    Id rather buy one built already..or is it THAT much better to custom build it?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee23 View Post
    Id rather buy one built already..or is it THAT much better to custom build it?
    Yes it is, plus you learn a lot and you save a pretty damned good amount of $.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yes it is, plus you learn a lot and you save a pretty damned good amount of $.
    What ya think about these specs. For about £300?
    Overclocked AMD FX-4100 4.0GHz Quad Core CPU
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1333Mhz DDR3 Gaming RAM
    1TB Hard Drive Storage Space
    ATI Radeon HD 6670 2GB Graphics Card

10+ Year Old Account
    That's pretty damn good actually, however you will still likely need good ol' Windows, or if you want to get Linux for free you can be a badass. :P
    "A flower.

Deleted
    That's pretty damn good actually, however you will still likely need good ol' Windows, or if you want to get Linux for free you can be a badass. :P
    WTF is linux lol. Some crap OS?

10+ Year Old Account
    .... Some.... crap.... OS...............

You really just said that?

Linux is the most consistently and well-supported OS out there, simply because it is OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE. ;D OSS is the angel that shall defeat Mac OS and Windows hopefully sooner than later.

Linux is not only free, but being open-source, is constantly updated/improved/fixed by all sorts of people, not one bloody company. And you can use really ay of Linux's many installations/versions. From Fedora to RedHat to others, Linux is widely considered the most versatile OS out there. Only issue is, like Mac OS, not every game is coded to also support Linux, however more and more have been and the support has greatly improved.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    .... Some.... crap.... OS...............

You really just said that?

Linux is the most consistently and well-supported OS out there, simply because it is OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE. ;D OSS is the angel that shall defeat Mac OS and Windows hopefully sooner than later.

Linux is not only free, but being open-source, is constantly updated/improved/fixed by all sorts of people, not one bloody company. And you can use really ay of Linux's many installations/versions. From Fedora to RedHat to others, Linux is widely considered the most versatile OS out there. Only issue is, like Mac OS, not every game is coded to also support Linux, however more and more have been and the support has greatly improved.
    LOL im REALLY sorry man ): but that sounds like somthing id REALLY like to research and most likely use!

Pheonix999
    Linux is basicly crap for kids who wants to use something differend like ubuntu, edubuntu,xubuntu or whatever, the only good linux os is debian, red hat or backtrack, else suck ass. And ye in this time red hat > debian> windows 7 >backtrack > everything else , suck it

* User was infracted. Brandbashing is not tolerated.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-04-03 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use Linux heavily, mostly just for my class on the OS, however my usage will likely go up more and more over the next couple years. However I know several folks who swear by Linux, the fact it is free by nature certainly is nice.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    As your talkng about a laptop, building your own is out of the question. I would not go w/ something older then 3 years old as you should get a good deal on a used one for 3 years. For basic WoW game play, assuming there's a decent GPU in the laptop it will suffice. As far as OS, i do NOT recommend Linux for new users unless cash is a real problem. Bottom line, Linux can be problematic for new users and not nearly as straight forward as OSX and Windows. Most Linux users who are not very tech savy end up ditching it due to hardware issues / setup. (If you're up for a challenge and need to save money, it might be worth looking into...) Since you're getting this for school you may have to purchase other software that's Windows only or OSX depending on you field of study, something else to consider.

Bottom line, if you find a really good deal on a used laptop and it doesn't work out for you, you should be able to turn around and sell it for @ or near the price you bought it for should you find you need something more powerful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    As your talkng about a laptop, building your own is out of the question. I would not go w/ something older then 3 years old as you should get a good deal on a used one for 3 years. For basic WoW game play, assuming there's a decent GPU in the laptop it will suffice. As far as OS, i do NOT recommend Linux for new users unless cash is a real problem. Bottom line, Linux can be problematic for new users and not nearly as straight forward as OSX and Windows. Most Linux users who are not very tech savy end up ditching it due to hardware issues / setup. (If you're up for a challenge and need to save money, it might be worth looking into...) Since you're getting this for school you may have to purchase other software that's Windows only or OSX depending on you field of study, something else to consider.

Bottom line, if you find a really good deal on a used laptop and it doesn't work out for you, you should be able to turn around and sell it for @ or near the price you bought it for should you find you need something more powerful.
    Nah im talking about a desktop now lol. Just trying to find desktop. max price £400. For Uni work and able to play wow smoothly, doesnt need to be on ultra or anything.

Pheonix999
    * User was infracted. Brandbashing is not tolerated.[/QUOTE]

Oh comon, eat my cr*p, Im right and u know it.

Discussing mod actions is not permitted. The language is also not necessary. If you have an issue with mod actions, please feel free to PM that mod, another mod, a super mod, or an admin. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2012-04-03 at 10:06 PM.

Deleted
    Nah im talking about a desktop now lol. Just trying to find desktop. max price £400. For Uni work and able to play wow smoothly, doesnt need to be on ultra or anything.
    Oh, in that case...you should be able to build a decent one for $400 US. Probably w/ medium to high settings for WoW depending on your monitor resolution. I'd still recommend Windows over Linux for you. Not even sure if LInux runs WoW, but if you find out it will, you could always try Linux...as it is free! oh, and there's some decent open source clones (Open Office, being one of them) of MS office and other software that's pretty decent that will run on both OS's. And if you're into graphics, Blender for 3D work, Gimp for Photoshop clone Best of luck!

---------- Post added 2012-04-03 at 10:29 PM ----------

If you build your own, you may not be saving any money depending on how much you make at a day job. It takes time, research, sometimes trouble shooting, etc. (WORK) to build a computer especially if it's your first one. Also, you could potentially damage the hardware if you're not careful. All these things should be considered before hand. It all depends a)on what your time is worth and b) if you're wanting to learn how to build your own system. Also, depending on the hardware you want, it is sometimes cheaper to buy one premade. At least this is true in N. America.

If you decide to build one, expect to spend a whole day putting it together and installing the software once you have all the hardware.

Hey there Im thinkin about buying the Dell XPS m170 laptop. its specs are ' Dell XPS M1730 gaming laptop
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7500 (4M Cache, 2.20ghz)
    2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 677 MHz(upgradable)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT Graphics '

Do you think this is good enough for WOW and on what settings? I dont mind playing on any settings. Im not a hardcore player I mainly just do arena at around 2k mmr and some BG's and Raid Finder for fun. I know some of you might say get a better one but its all I can afford at the moment. Any type of feedback will be really appreciated. Thanks x
    It looks like it might be okay for questing/5-man stuff at low/medium settings.

Anything bigger, you can forget it. There's newer stuff that's better and probably cheaper.