Page 1 of 74
... LastLast

Why Anarchy is morally correct, necessary, and better than a governed society

Government is the initiation of force. Think about it. Try not paying your taxes. At first you'll let a letter or a phone call saying "Hey, you aren't paying! Pay up!" Next you get a notice to go to court. And after that, police will show up to your house to apprehend you. If you defend yourself, you get gunned down. Government breaks the Non-Aggression Principle (NAP) by initiating force upon it's sheep (citizens). Now you're probably thinking that this is just some teenage pot head trying to rebel against the man. Well I assure you, I believe drugs are immoral as well, however, I do believe you have the right to use them as long as you're not breaking the NAP.

Next you may say "Well! Without government, who will provide for the poor?" Government actually made the poor people poor, and if anyone did manage to become poor in a stateless society, charity would be provided. Who provides such charities you ask? towns would. Ostracism would be an effective tool. If you don't donate, you miss out on social relationships, don't get a sign on your lawn saying you donated etc. And even if this isn't perfect, is our current system any better?

"Well, what happens if we're invaded?" Private defense organizations/defense insurance companies would be there! Let us say that the U.S. becomes a stateless society and Canada has a choice to invade us or Russia. Let's say for all intents and purposes they really hate our guts for ripping them off with Maple Syrup tariffs before the collapse of the state. They must get through private defense companies, mercenaries and every single citizen fighting to not be taxed, and enslaved by another government. If Canada invaded Russia, all they would have to do is break down the Russian military, get to Moscow and claim victory. Once this happens, the Russian people don't take up arms against Canadian oppression, they merely switched mafia heads. One leader lost to another leader, it would be no different than a forced election where many people died.

"Oh, I've got you here! Medical care! How is this going to work?!" Well, the reason medical care is expensive now, is because of government intervention in the system, subsidies, medicare, medicaid, etc. If a doctor in a stateless society wants to charge $20 per patient, he is more than welcome to! If his next door neighbor wants to be a doctor and charge $15 per patient, he will simply get the majority of patients and drive the first doctor to either lower his rates or go out of business. "And what of surgery costs?" Same answer as before, surgeons will lower their rates as much as possible to where they still make a profit but get as many patients as possible. Health insurance will also be 100% privatized.

"Currency! What will be the currency of a stateless society!?" It doesn't matter. You could trade gold, silver, rocks, spoons or even pens. Whatever the seller wants that buyer will offer in exchange for the product the customer wants.
    "Education is not receivable to most people without a government provided system!" Government has lowered education standards and does not actually teach you much. If you're older than 30 try telling me the integral of cotx. Try telling me the formula for resistance. If you were doing this math in high school, chances are, (unless you became a mathematician or a physicist) that you just regurgitated this information for the test and forgot it after. Real education advances would be made without the government.

"Well what about courts! For crimes such as murder, theft, or fraud!" DROs or Dispute Resolution organizations will be created. These groups will insure you on your rights, if they are ever to be violated, through the sue of ostracism. This system will reduce crime by lowering the benefit of committing crime, and by increasing the risk. If you don't belong to a DRO, you will be on a blacklist. Many people will not want to interact with you because of your decision, but it's your decision. I speculate that there may be DRO cards people would need to buy groceries, water, and other items, and without it, you're out of luck. This means that the wisest choice is probably to join, but not necessary, like today's state is. Private defense agencies will also be instated, allowing for you to defend yourself as you see fit. This is comparable to buying locks for your things. It's not a bad idea, but you will need to buy it if you want it. Otherwise, you'll be leaving things unlocked and open to be taken or damaged. Basically, this society relies on the prevention of crime, rather than the correction of it. If you violate someone's rights, you would be blacklisted and living would be extremely difficult, making a mugging, or any other theft very risky, and ultimately, offering little to no benefit. The best way to preserve our natural rights is to prevent the violation of them, not to correct the violator after he's done. Ultimately, you could maybe somehow find a way to live off a DRO in an underground commune or something, but your life is still basically ruined. There are a number of ways the blacklists could work, such as each DRO sharing their blacklists to keep people from violating someone's rights and moving on to another DRO. The main idea, is that you are given poor quality defense, and poor quality insurance of rights today by mandated taxation, and if we made everything optional and privatized, we would receive higher quality protection, higher quality rights insurance, and the ability to not have either, if you so choose. Ultimately, you are free.

So, those are the ways anarchism would benefit us, whereas the state not only does not benefit it, it hinders us, enslaves us and attacks us. I advocate an anarchist society, but I want to achieve it nonviolently. Using violence to achieve anarchy will not only fail, but it will just prop up warlords and dictators in an even worse society. Nonviolence, education, and will power are the only way to get rid of the state. I hope that one day we'll realize that we do not need a government to tell us what to do, what to think or what to feel.

So, If you can come up with another argument that you think the state can solve better than anarchy, please, share it, and I'll post my response. If I have opened anyone's mind or even sparked an interest to anarchism, please search Freedomain Radio on Youtube or Google, and look for Stefan Molyneux, as he does a MUCH better job at explaining the ideal, stateless society! Thanks if you read this all the way through!
    Last edited by JSG31494; 2012-04-21 at 08:58 PM.

Anarchy can only exist for breif periods. It is not sustainable. Destroy the government and people aren't going to magically become single person villages able to be completely self suficient, they will revert to tribal (for lack of a better term) governments.

Though I can honestly say I'm not going to read your wall of text which is pointlessly long for no reason.

One hour on these forums alone tells me I don't want to live in a lawless country. Sorry. I have little faith in humanity because I see what we do when there IS law and fear how much worse it would be without it.

Few sacrifices for a whole lot of security and happiness.

is this really what you think anarchy is OP? they gave anarchy a try in new orleans after katrina. if you need to see what anarchy is in the real world there are plenty of news reports and videos to educate you

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Anarchy can only exist for breif periods. It is not sustainable. Destroy the government and people aren't going to magically become single person villages able to be completely self suficient, they will revert to tribal (for lack of a better term) governments.

Though I can honestly say I'm not going to read your wall of text which is pointlessly long for no reason.
    If you wish to see historic examples of long lasting (almost) anarchy, look up the Icelandic Commonwealth. It lasted roughly 300 years before Norway finally destroyed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anarchy is bad because it begets violence just look at WW1 for that the anarchists killed Fedinand and poof war death destruction etc

I have no wish to live in a dog eat dog world

we have governments because humans cant be trusted to play nice with each other without some sort of control

Now i love liberty and i love freedom but there needs to be some form of control

I'm sure the OP would feel differently if he was enslaved by a strongman and then worked until he literally fell over dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Anarchy is bad because it begets violence just look at WW1 for that the anarchists killed Fedinand and poof war death destruction etc
    Please read the wall o' text, anarchism does not have to mean violence!

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    I'm sure the OP would feel differently if he was enslaved by a strongman and then worked until he literally fell over dead.
    And I'm sure you would feel differently if you were free.

You assume everything would work out perfectly. Governments exist precisely because they would not work out perfectly.

Seeing you use the word sheep completely ruined the chance of me being any more thorough, so there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    I have no wish to live in a dog eat dog world

we have governments because humans cant be trusted to play nice with each other without some sort of control

Now i love liberty and i love freedom but there needs to be some form of control
    Did you even bother to read the post, or are you just going off the topic name?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JSG31494 View Post
    Please read the wall o' text, anarchism does not have to mean violence!

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:07 AM ----------

And I'm sure you would feel differently if you were free.
    anarchy doesnt have to me violence but it tends to

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    You assume everything would work out perfectly. Governments exist precisely because they would not work out perfectly.
    In what respect? I see words but no arguments!

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    anarchy doesnt have to me violence but it tends to
    that's why at the bottom of the post, which you clearly did not read, I advocate anarchism through nonviolence, education, and will power. Please use your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    The OP would probably be a strongman, too, as he would take on responsibilities that do not include lying supine and surfing the internet. We would all be pretty strong, otherwise we wouldn't be alive in the first place.

Deleted
    Anarchy.

Morals.

At what point did any see a point in pursuing the topic further...

OP wouldn't last a month in an Anarchist society. People are sadistic animals. Have you even met most of your fellow Americans?

By the way, your Canada invading Russia as an easier option to invading Anarchist America was probably one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. In an anarchist decentralized society, other countries could and would come here and set up shop with impunity. You'd even have sects of society INVITING other countries here, on their side, of course.

If you're going to make an argument of anarchism being a ruthless dog-eat dog world that the "OP" wouldn't last a day in, do not even post, as you obviously didn't read the initial thread, and cannot make up a reasonable argument. You have been brain washed through propaganda to believe in government, and anyone saying otherwise, in your minds, is a fool. Anarchism is rare throughout history, and there is NO way that you could know it would fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anarchy is not sustainable don't kid yourself. If there was nothing but anarchy in the world we would probably still be in the stone age.

You have just posted a topic on the internet, how do you think the internet came to be? Without the structure of government, power companies would not exist which power your computers and all web servers. Pushing for anarchy over the internet is extremely hypocritical because we would not be anywhere close to the internet right now if it was not for the organizations and peace of government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you even bother to read the post, or are you just going off the topic name?
    It doesn't matter what you preach, because an ideal isolationist anarchy would never exist in a real life situation, especially on a continent like the United States.

Humanity has only gotten more sadistic since the Dark Ages, do you honestly think that there won't be people wreaking havoc everywhere? We will have (as someone said) tribal communities, which will in the end be manipulated by the strong and deceptive, there would be more chaos than beneficial order. We would have what essentially are bandits everywhere without a universal law system.

And, for the economy thing, it wouldn't work, humanity has already consumed more than 50% of natural resources in the US, without an EPA like system, everyone would take the rest of the untapped natural resources, and then form a monopoly over it, or even worse just waste it trying to preserve their own community, without recycling anything they did take.

EDIT: plus, without a universal economy, people will return to bartering, which does nothing for most people.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    If you're going to make an argument of anarchism being a ruthless dog-eat dog world that the "OP" wouldn't last a day in, do not even post, as you obviously didn't read the initial thread, and cannot make up a reasonable argument. You have been brain washed through propaganda to believe in government, and anyone saying otherwise, in your minds, is a fool. Anarchism is rare throughout history, and there is NO way that you could know it would fail.
    Ideal scenario based cyclical arguments are like masturbation.

Interesting topic all that aside. Good luck.