Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Big Shadowpriest feedback thread on the Beta forums

Yo guys, I just had a guildie post a humongous novel about Priests in MoP. I'm not terribly sure how many other priests will completely agree with some of it, but most of the general Spriest outcry I'm seeing is reflected there, along with some ideas on how to fix stuff.

My worst fear is Priests (especially Shadow) once again get neglected and go live half done, like some awful half-formed mutant. When Wrath was in beta I was dissatisfied with what was happening, seeing other classes get amazing stuff and Priests get the scraps, but I kept silent and hopeful, thinking, They're Blizzard, how bad can they fuck it up? And turns out, the answer is "Quite a lot." Cata beta = same deal. Maybe MoP will be no different, but at least this time I want to actually have done something about it. I have to try, you know?

So if you have some time take a look at it and tell me what you think, and if you have beta access maybe you can help me keep it bumped so Blizz actually gets the chance to read it. Sorry if this post looks like me tooting my own horn, I just think my ideas are good enough that they could work really well, and if they are better than what Blizz can do, then I want them to have a lot of exposure and approval, so Blizz can see that and go, Okay, let's just use that.

Here's the thread. Thanks for even reading THIS thread.

that there are again no shadow changes in the new build worries me. I really hope they are working on shadow, maybe in later builds but i have doubts.
    As for the post, its very interesting to read, our 87 spell is a complete joke.

Deleted
    recent blue posts really are doing nothing to make me feel better. "oh you're right it does sound stupid doesn't it! I'll tell someone" seems to be the only acknowledgement we've had. Seriously? Guh.

Deleted
    Some of ur Idea's are OP but got some interesting things which blizzard could use and polish.

Blizzard could make things more interesting for our beloved priest class anyways.
    Been playing with my druid as my priest is bugged and im talentless but pressing N i crash the game (where that OP).
    My gaurdian got some nice talents that i find more interesting that the priest talents, my mage is actually kinda boring to be honest havent tried Frost yet as we cant change specilization just yet in beta.

Priests talents looks boring and we get old cata spells changed a tiny bit as new MoP talents.

Non the less, i deffo be maining the priest still, even tho the talents are boring its still the good ol priest for me.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't love all the ideas and they may be a bit idealistic. But I agree that the current state of Shadow on the PTR is unacceptable, and it's disheartening to see major changes and adjustments made to every class and spec but ours patch after patch.

I guess I would summarize the current play style on the PTR as awkward and un-fun. But I think that fixing the Apparitions would go a long way to change that.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

cut out the Ideas for easier reading, if its to be called feedback not suggestion thread. or move them after feedback.
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

Quote Originally Posted by lwalker8 View Post
    I don't love all the ideas and they may be a bit idealistic. But I agree that the current state of Shadow on the PTR is unacceptable, and it's disheartening to see major changes and adjustments made to every class and spec but ours patch after patch.

I guess I would summarize the current play style on the PTR as awkward and un-fun. But I think that fixing the Apparitions would go a long way to change that.
    blue post
    "We still have some other changes to make. We're not happy with some of the priest talents yet, and the glyphs aren't finished. "

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juicyxo View Post
    blue post
    "We still have some other changes to make. We're not happy with some of the priest talents yet, and the glyphs aren't finished. "
    Yeah. Not sure how relevant that is to shadow priests. They were discussing "The Amputation of Disc Priests". That has no implication about shadow at all. I'm sure they are going to make more priest changes that include shadow at some point. But that post is just part of my frustration as they've been addressing healing priest concerns, but shadow has continued to be neglected.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, we're going to be fed Utility abilities and our damage is going to suffer. I really don't want that to happen; we have 3 amazing shadow priests in our guild right now who can easily parse world 50+'s, and if we lose that damage and are forced to either bench them because they want to play their priests, heal, or switch mains, then that's going to suck.

I like my priest for shadow. I like DoTs. I don't want to play a warlock because FUCK their pets and that micro bullshit. I want to play a priest and be able to compete with the other classes for damage.

Then again, shamans have just been shat on in PvE so hard. I really can't complain, can I. NO wait, I can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnacles View Post
    From what I've seen, we're going to be fed Utility abilities and our damage is going to suffer. I really don't want that to happen; we have 3 amazing shadow priests in our guild right now who can easily parse world 50+'s, and if we lose that damage and are forced to either bench them because they want to play their priests, heal, or switch mains, then that's going to suck.

I like my priest for shadow. I like DoTs. I don't want to play a warlock because FUCK their pets and that micro bullshit. I want to play a priest and be able to compete with the other classes for damage.

Then again, shamans have just been shat on in PvE so hard. I really can't complain, can I. NO wait, I can.
    Keeping class balance intact as in simple numbers is also my biggest concern about MoP. That is far more important to me instead of gaining a fancy new ability or a change in the rotation. There is really no other alternative other than rolling an alt if shadow priest damage becomes subpar (most shadow priests I know doesn't give a damn about the other 2 talent trees).
    Cataclysm have been great though. We've probably been the hybrid dps spec that's been performing overall the best throughout Cata in 25man heroic modes, but 1 simple tuning mistake and we could easily end up being subpar for 5 months in a row.

Call me pre-nostaligc but I can honestly say I have enjoyed most of my Spriest in Cata.
    We were a bit below at first but now in 4.3 it feels good, really good.
    I'd rather keep it than have to deal with all their fancy shmancy crap they seem to be feeding us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things I would like to see
    - Spectral guise needs MAJOR work. Should be able to cast while guised, and auto attacks from melee should not count towards "three direct hits"
    - I would like to see some "fun" glyphs like the ones warlocks get (female pets, AWESOME class mount changes, etc).
    - A glyph similar to the one that allows moonkin to cast heals while in form would be amazing.
    - Overall some more attractive and creative choices for shadow throughout our talent tree. A lot of them seem like "This is a great healing talent, just slap 'or damage if casted on enemy' on it and we're set!"
    Kil'Jaeden - US

Thanks to Lilliputia for the amazing signature!

I would definitely like to see more changes. Such as:

- A glyph that lets you channel Mind Flay while moving, but reduces the movement debuff by like 25%.
    - Melee train protection via physical damage or crit chance reduction after PW:S is fully absorbed for like 5-8 secs with 45 sec ICD.
    - Shadow Apparitions morphed into shadow ravens animated in a way that they circle overhead for a second and then shoots off like a bullet to its target.
    - Dispel protection on par with Affliction's UA.
    - A third dot or perhaps an Inquisition-type self-buff to manage via shadow orbs. Maybe more like: Unholy Frenzy
    - Removal of Dominate Mind for Shackle being castable on humanoids, beasts, undead, and demons.
    - A glyph that makes Feathers From Heaven have up to 5 charges each and only visible to the caster and party members and enemies in stealth, but can be disarmed by a rogue like Hunter traps - 45 sec cooldown (perhaps 1 minute).
    -Replace Halo with a talent that makes Holy Nova apply renew to the 3-5 lowest HP targets and mind sear apply SW:P and can only be used with 3 shadow orbs.

Mind you I am not asking for all of these to be implemented, as having access to all of these together would be quite OP. Just some ideas I am tossing around.
    Last edited by smokeajay; 2012-04-15 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeajay
    Shadow Apparitions morphed into shadow ravens animated in a way that they circle overhead for a second and then shoots off like a bullet to its target.
    Extra bonus points to the developers if your shadow orbs turn into ravens when you use the spell, and they continue to circle around you but in an upwards spiral. Then they flap around above your head a little bit and off they go!

Shadow Ravens - the Green Fire of the shadow priest community...

Bleh I never wanted ravens, I'm a Shadow priest, not a Raven priest. What do Ravens have to do with shadows, darkness, psychic powers, vampiric magic, the invisible moral line between light and dark, etc?

And yeah some of my ideas may be OP but at least the core concept is interesting.

Smokeajay: Casting flay on the move will never happen. I've thought about it extensively from a game design/balance perspective and there's no way to balance it. Either it's too good or it's crap. If Shadowpriests are to have mobility, it'll have to come from somewhere else, Flay will and should forever be a Stand-and-cast channeled nuke.

Deleted
    I read somewhere the dev in charge of the priest is also in charge of the monk. So that'd explain everything. He has to work 90% of his time on the new class, neglecting priests. I've been working on my paladin which seems far more awesome next expansion.

Deleted
    Flay on the move, well could happen with a Cooldown type of spell.

That way it wont be (to) OP if the cooldown is like 1min and able to use it for otherspells (pve)
    Giving Spriest a bit more movement in PvP still channeling while movement gives u the risk of getting interupted/silenced so its not completly riskless to do.

If 1 min is to low on CD making it OP add something to it, like it adds Xsec cast / channeling time while u move much like the Cast while move talent Locks get.

Than again, im fine without the option of moving and casting as i basicly only heal in pvp and use shadow for pve.

Just make it so you can cast Mind Flay on the move but give it a 2 second cool down.

Honestly i'm not sure why people think mind flay on the move is OP when Mages can do basically the same thing except without channeling.
    Last edited by Direshadow; 2012-04-16 at 04:40 PM.

80 Kingslayer Shadow Priest - Spirestone
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&n=Direshadow

Quote Originally Posted by Direshadow View Post
    Just make it so you can cast Mind Flay on the move but give it a 2 second cool down.

Honestly i'm not sure why people think mind flay on the move is OP when Mages can do basically the same thing except without channeling.
    Yeah, it really wouldn't be that hard to balance. You could reduce the movement debuff, reduce the damage, or increase the channel time with the same number of ticks. All of these would still be a buff against the melee train (as most specs have interrupts/closers now so it would be easily countered at the same time). However, I can see how it can be OP with the tentacles and the new 87 spell. Have to see how it plays out, but as it stands right now we have the weakest CC of all casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    Call me pre-nostaligc but I can honestly say I have enjoyed most of my Spriest in Cata.
    Pretty much.

And they gave Hunters the Ravens. (Why? Er...)