Thread: D3 and bots?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

D3 and bots?

Now that there is the new "Real currency" Ah in the game thru your b-net account, do you think the game will be flooded with farm bots to fill the AH to make a quick buck or will blizzard have some way to combat this, if not eliminate it? Just something I have been wondering since I heard of this new AH system.

Deleted
    I think there will be bots. There are bots in pretty much every single game where profit can be made, and a bunch of games where you can't make a profit but the bots are in demand to level things up as well. So I think there will be farm bots, and levelling bots, just as there are in WoW. I'm sure Blizzard will have a team of people who work towards a) making them hard to create/shutting down any exploits and b) banning the accounts... very similar to what they have in WoW... will they get them all? I doubt it, but I hope so

Deleted
    EDIT: My information in this post was wrong. Read Shamanic's response further down in this thread for a clarification. Below my original response:

As far as I know, you'll be able to put up a certain amount of auctions per a certain amount of time for free. Any auctions you put up beyond that amount within that timeframe will cost you a certain amount of real money, regardless of whether they sell or not. If the item sells, the transaction fee will be higher.

In either case, the auction house system will deduct a nominal fixed transaction fee from the seller, the amount of which is determined by whether or not the item was sold (see below).
    How is the transaction fee determined?

A nominal fixed transaction fee will be deducted from the seller for each item listed in the auction house. This fee consists of a fixed charge to list the item, which is assessed whether or not the item is successfully sold, and an additional fixed charge that is assessed only if the item is sold. Because the listing portion of the fee is charged even if the item doesn't sell, it will be in the seller's interest to list items he or she believes other players will be interested in, and to do so at a competitive price. Specific details related to the transaction fee for the currency-based auction house will vary by region and will be announced at a later date.

Please note that we plan to waive the listing portion of the fee for a limited number of transactions per account. In other words, for these transactions, the seller will only pay a transaction fee if the item is successfully sold, and that fee will not include the listing charge. We'll have further details on this as well at a later date.
    So, let's say that we get ten auctions per week, which cost us money only if the item sells. Every item we put up for auction beyond those ten within that particular week costs us let's say 50 cents. This means any farmers or bots will only hurt themselves if they flood the RMAH with items, as they will lower the prices and sell absolutely nothing, and they will lose real money each time, which in the long run isn't such a great idea.

Also, add the fact that any item bought from the RMAH will have a cooldown period during which it can't be relisted, and farming/botting for common items in D3 won't be a very lucrative business at all.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-17 at 05:16 PM.

Deleted
    They actually removed that limit, you can now sell unlimited items a week without incurring any additional fees, but only 10 items at a single time.

Edit to add; this is the most up to date blue post for how it is on the beta now and is likely to go live

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    You will be limited to 10 active auctions per auction house.
    With the removal of the listing fee, players will no longer need to worry about whether they’re going to run out of free listings for the week. In addition, introducing a limit on the number of active auctions means players won’t feel as though they should be trying to sell everything they find, potentially flooding the auction house with unwanted items. Under this new system, players will only pay an auction house fee if and when an item actually sells. This has the main advantage of allowing players to try to sell their items risk-free. In addition, because the transaction fee is already baked into the price when an item is listed (as part of the minimum listing price), it’s no longer possible to be in a situation where you don’t have enough Battle.net Balance to list an item, forcing you to have to charge up your Balance just to attempt a sale. We think this will be a much cleaner process for selling items and will ultimately lead to a better experience when using the currency-based auction house.

This new active-auction limit will also apply to the gold-based auction house. Because gold can be sold on the currency-based auction house, we need to ensure there are limitations on the gold auction house as well; otherwise, a player might be tempted to sell everything for gold and then sell that gold on the currency-based auction house, which isn’t supportive of the kind of thriving item-driven market we’re trying to foster. In addition, for the first time in the beta test, we're planning to have both the gold- and currency-based auction houses active at the same time when these changes go live. Of course, one of our main goals in making these changes to the beta is to test how they’ll work out, and we look forward to hearing your feedback once you have a chance to try them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    will they get them all? I doubt it, but I hope so
    You can never stop all bots because Blizzard is not allowed to scan your computer because of privacy reasons.

As long as the bot program is updated according to changes in each new patch, it will likely never get caught.
    The only bots that get caught are the ones that don't adapt to changes.

As a side note, you're never completely safe from people who exploit. No matter how much work is put into protection.

I even know someone in real life who has hacked WoW and was never banned for it.
    And you'd think that speedhacking in Warsong Gulch would get noticed? Pff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    They actually removed that limit
    Oh, I see. Well, a physical limit of 10 items is much better than a "soft" limit of 10 free items, as far as making sure the RMAH is flooded as little as possible goes.

However, is there anything in place to stop people from cancelling auctions and then putting the same items up while undercutting the lowest auctions those items, and repeating this throughout the day and night ad infinitum? I personally feel that the cancel-undercut -cycle is the "scourge" of auction houses and that is what drives the prices down like crazy, especially when there are people doing completely asinine undercuts - too little to ensure a sell straight away but still way way too much to be a reasonable undercut.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-17 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Oh, I see. Well, a physical limit of 10 items is much better than a "soft" limit of 10 free items, as far as making sure the RMAH is flooded as little as possible goes.

However, is there anything in place to stop people from cancelling auctions and then putting the same items up while undercutting the lowest auctions those items, and repeating this throughout the day and night ad infinitum? I personally feel that the cancel-undercut -cycle is the "scourge" of auction houses and that is what drives the prices down like crazy, especially when there are people doing completely asinine undercuts - too little to ensure a sell straight away but still way way too much to be a reasonable undercut.
    I just did some tests, when I listed a piece of armor on the AH I got the message "You have 5 minutes to cancel your auction before it appears on the auction house". Then in the auction window, there was a cancel button with a ticking down timer. After 5 mins, the button disappeared - and I could not cancel the auction - it's now in the system for 2 days (or until it sells).

Then I tried with crafting reagents and there was no message and it still let me cancel 10 mins later.

So it looks like you can't undercut with equipment any way.

It'll either make bots/farmers focus on cancellable reagents, or people will have multiple accounts I'm guessing.

I would think if people were using bots and actually making real money from it Blizzard could sue them. I'm not 100% on that but I wouldn't be supprised at all.

Deleted
    There is already a way to bot in diablo 3.

How well their detection will be on live servers is yet to be seen

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    You can never stop all bots because Blizzard is not allowed to scan your computer because of privacy reasons.
    BULLSHIT! When I played D2 they would scan my computer all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starborn91 View Post
    I would think if people were using bots and actually making real money from it Blizzard could sue them. I'm not 100% on that but I wouldn't be supprised at all.
    Not sure about in other jurisdictions, but here in the States, the Blizzard wallet is like a roach motel, much like Steam's wallet. Money goes in... it doesn't (can't) come out.

Sure, they might be "making money", but for what purpose? There's a $250 cap on the wallet, and all you can spend it on is more D3 items, Blizzard games (of which there is a finite amount), and WoW subscriptions. You might be able to use it for Blizzard Store purchases as well, but I'm not sure if that's implemented yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratches View Post
    Not sure about in other jurisdictions, but here in the States, the Blizzard wallet is like a roach motel, much like Steam's wallet. Money goes in... it doesn't (can't) come out.

Sure, they might be "making money", but for what purpose? There's a $250 cap on the wallet, and all you can spend it on is more D3 items, Blizzard games (of which there is a finite amount), and WoW subscriptions. You might be able to use it for Blizzard Store purchases as well, but I'm not sure if that's implemented yet.
    Lets keep this under wraps. Things can be sold without using the ingame auction house.
    Shh its a secret. Just ask diablo 2 players.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fainth View Post
    BULLSHIT! When I played D2 they would scan my computer all the time.
    Yeah they also got sued for that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    Lets keep this under wraps. Things can be sold without using the ingame auction house.
    Shh its a secret. Just ask diablo 2 players.
    N'aw, really?? I thought all that money I made back then was just because people liked me... not because I was selling items.

Sigh. Follow the conversation. You'll look like less of a fool the next time you try to show off that amazing wit.

Deleted
    N'aw, really?? I thought all that money I made back then was just because people liked me... not because I was selling items.

Sigh. Follow the conversation. You'll look like less of a fool the next time you try to show off that amazing wit.
    okay okay i will try. Lets look back.

Starborn made his first post in this thread. Talking about botting and Selling for real life money.
    His post is about the possibility of blizzard suing people using bots to gain real money. If that is through the RMAH or outside of it, is really not relevant to his post, now is it ? He is addressing an entirely different part of the problematic.

That someone else or even the op mentioned selling in the Auction house is irrelevant to what he said. people attempting to make real money of the game would obviously boycott the AH. People discussing otherwise is just silly really. You cant force their flawed logic onto what he said, just because they started talking first

But lets just set that aside.

What merit is there in further discussion, when the fact that the RMAH can be boycot?
    Last edited by mmoc3e885d321a; 2012-04-18 at 02:51 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grutamu View Post
    Yeah they also got sued for that
    Can I get a link? I don't remember ever hearing about them getting sued.

Legal actions have been taken up against Blizzard's RAM scanning, for privacy reasons, as far back as its first implementation - in the World of Warcraft alpha test, to watch if users were breaking their confidentiality contract. Within days of the beta test new lines were added to World of Warcraft's EULA.[citation needed]
    The Electronic Frontier Foundation and other groups have labeled Warden as spyware.[3] Blizzard has said that Warden does not gather any personally identifiable information about players other than the account being used. It also states that the data collected is only used for finding evidence of malicious programs and cheating.

Only thing I could find. It don't look like they lost as they still use warden.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    You're talking about the battle.net balance, which is a virtual currency used, as you said, only for things Blizzard offers. That's not the only thing you get out of the RMAH, though. When your item sells, you choose whether you want to cash the sum out as battle.net currency OR to your PayPal account, from where you can then withdraw it as actual currency. Cashing money out to PayPal has no limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Are all the items in Diablo 3 BoE or is it like WoW where the better items are BoP?
    Only some items bind. Most are can be traded over and over again.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-18 at 06:31 AM.

Deleted
    Are all the items in Diablo 3 BoE or is it like WoW where the better items are BoP?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Unbound.. so you can use them, replace them, give them to your friends/alts, resell them, etc.

So spending $5 on an item isn't $5 "wasted", so to speak - some people will feel that it's fine to spend real money on items because you're going to sell it again and (hopefully) get your $5 back if you find a better one. Even gems can be unsocketed by the jeweler so you can re-use them in new gear.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2012-04-18 at 07:47 AM.

Yeah there will be bots no doubt, but being a new game and blizzard latest baby, hacks and bots will be squashed pretty fast with harsh punishment.