An enigmatic statement by D. Erickson

"Long term we actually have to look at servers as a whole." - Daniel Erickson on Server Population

Early I made a post about the possibility of a single server with many shards.

Could this statement be a shining glimmer of hope for the elimination of the "server" model?

In the meantime it sounds like we will have transfers followed by mergers.

I wonder if they will block transfers to fatman?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    "Long term we actually have to look at servers as a whole." - Daniel Erickson on Server Population

Could this statement be a shining glimmer of hope for the elimination of the "server" model?

Its safe to assume they won't allow tranfers to extremely high population servers because you know everyone will just jump on the bandwagon and go there making low servers even MORE low. It wouldn't make sense :/

Deleted
    Having no servers at all certainly sounds like an interesting and compelling prospect, would eliminate all population issues overnight. The sharding tech is already there after all.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats pretty good.

Maybe the extra downtime for the website is for the xfers
    Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - Gigabyte GTX680 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

I'd say only allow transfers to a server if you already have characters there.

Welcome to 2010 MMO gaming More liberal approach to character place in server structure would be very very very much appreciated. As well as one name for multiple characters ... sooo annoying having to come up with 17 variations of the one nick you want to use in the game.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Welcome to 2010 MMO gaming More liberal approach to character place in server structure would be very very very much appreciated. As well as one name for multiple characters ... sooo annoying having to come up with 17 variations of the one nick you want to use in the game.
    That may pose some issues with friends list and chat. Your legacy name is supposed to 'kind of' be like that, but I don't see how they could manage to have one name per account. It is a nice idea but I think its impossible with this tech haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    I'd say only allow transfers to a server if you already have characters there.
    That's kinda silly, I could just create a char on a diff server, transfer, then delete the one I made. If you put a level requirement on it, the same would happen, but why make people do extra work to get off a server that's dead anyway.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 12:18 PM ----------

You want all your toons to have the same name? How would you put stuff on GTN? How would you receive mail? Legacy is fine if you can search by it or friend the whole legacy, something similar to WoW battle.net ID would be wonderful. Having them all with the same name though, I don't think ANY MMO does this, and really shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    That may pose some issues with friends list and chat. Your legacy name is supposed to 'kind of' be like that, but I don't see how they could manage to have one name per account. It is a nice idea but I think its impossible with this tech haha.
    You just use random number after the name. I think both GW2 and Battle.net games are going to use this method for some features though I haven't looked into how exactly will that work.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just use random number after the name. I think both GW2 and Battle.net games are going to use this method for some features though I haven't looked into how exactly will that work.
    I'd rather it stay this way or add a sort of RealID like Blizzard did, but only for friends. I don't want people to be able to find me no matter which character I am on- sometimes I like to do something peacefully without being harassed or bombarded with questions.

I'd personally rather not start seeing susan123412 as a toon name like it's an old aol chat room. I don't to be all "Hey are you friends with Debbbie 3346?" and I'm all "No, but I know Debbie 3345." It's as annoying as special characters in their names, then they get mad when you don't want to invite them because they haven't whispered you and you don't know how to type out the 10 characters in their name. If Debbie is taken, try Susan, and if that is taken try Mary, and if that is taken try being more original.

If you look at the statement in context of other interviews he has done recently, he is just talking about server transfers and server consolidation. They have not mention anything about a single game world. That would likely require restructuring the entire system for the game, and they have much more pressing issues to deal with.

10+ Year Old Account

Switching type midstream could be quite problematic but who knows... Will be interesting if they try it.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    I'd personally rather not start seeing susan123412 as a toon name like it's an old aol chat room. I don't to be all "Hey are you friends with Debbbie 3346?" and I'm all "No, but I know Debbie 3345." It's as annoying as special characters in their names, then they get mad when you don't want to invite them because they haven't whispered you and you don't know how to type out the 10 characters in their name. If Debbie is taken, try Susan, and if that is taken try Mary, and if that is taken try being more original.
    I would argue about this, but I don't know how exactly does it work What I do know is that my GW2 ID has 4 digit number behind it and ANET in mail stated :

This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear.
    I welcome it because with 5-8 toons the names become quite silly. It's like how should I mutate my nick so ppl still get it's me, but none of my other characters have it.

I think it means that they are looking at implementing cross realm things to help reduce the impact of being on a low population server.

I would argue about this, but I don't know how exactly does it work What I do know is that my GW2 ID has 4 digit number behind it and ANET in mail stated :

I welcome it because with 5-8 toons the names become quite silly. It's like how should I mutate my nick so ppl still get it's me, but none of my other characters have it.
    Yea, that sounds convoluted. I'd rather just have my unique names for my toons that nobody else has. I even have more than one name that I use on toons depending on what they are. My "Main" (dps) is always Koalachan (same as my tag here), on WoW it was a mage, on swtor it started as a dps sage, but I'm waiting to reroll it as inquisitor miraluka. My primary alt is a healer named Yezzmina. In wow that was a shaman, in swtor it's a merc I'm running as my main until I unlock the previous mentioned. Etc down the line of all my toons. Never had a naming conflict with other people, and people who know me when they see those names instantly know me and what my spec is in any game.