Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    How are the gold sellers, and just all around scammers going to be handled in D3? Seeing as how ACTUAL money will be used. Wouldn't that amount to larceny? Like frauding Paypal or something?
    I don't think there will be much of a market for gold selling since all of the items will already be available for real money. It sort of defeats the purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I don't think there will be much of a market for gold selling since all of the items will already be available for real money. It sort of defeats the purpose.
    That's not what I mean.. Not actual GOLD sellers. but what else do we have to compare them to, to give them a proper name? And I think you missed my entire question and got stuck on "gold sellers".
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

really depends

items on d2 went for thousands in its prime and items still sell for hundreds(amazing rares etc)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember bliz saying that to get into the hardest mode you will have to do some farming and that it will be pretty hard so I'm sure items at that level will go for a decent price. 20$+ and seeing how many mounts sell i see alot of people buying things up shortly after release. Hoping i can make the game pay for its self and then some.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what I mean.. Not actual GOLD sellers. but what else do we have to compare them to, to give them a proper name? And I think you missed my entire question and got stuck on "gold sellers".
    Then what do you mean? You're still trying to put your finger on something that doesn't exist. There won't be any room for scamming or gold selling. You do every part of the transaction using Blizzard's interface. There is no third party involvement.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-04-19 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantino View Post
    with a touch less attitude, I think this is a VERY important point. MMOs did change the landscape since D2 was out, having great gear was a real big "notch" in MMOs, you could show off the shinyness, you could also go feel powerful in 5mans, participate in organized guilds... the opportunities to feel special through gear were pretty significant.

I think the lack of community in D3 may curb the value. At best you can come brag about something on a web forum...

I guess you could roll yourself back to normal mode for a minute and join a game and show off...
    Lol, seen far to many ppl buy gear or runs then sit and act like they are some sort of pixelated bad ass. That ended up beign shown there a bit. If ppl need that escape in a mmo I hope they get it. Its not my place to judge or put a value on any of that stuff really. I had just gotten out of a conversation with somebody that begs to get pity loot then tells other they suck and starts linking gear. That carried over a bit in that last msg.

I do know ppl that sold stones of Jordan for a few hundred bucks at one time in Diablo 2 though so nothing would really shock me too much. I am very interested to see what ppl charge and what ppl are willing to pay for some of this stuff though. How real money effects ppls desire to undercut or raise prices on items too will be interesting. The nerdy econ part of me is going to enjoy seeing it all unfold whatever happens.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Don't be surprised if yellows with perfectly rolled stats will go for $100+, at least in the beginning. They will. The gap between a 95% and a 100% item will be large though.
    They'll probably go for more than uniques of the same level as they have the potential to fill niche characters.

Deleted
    You do every part of the transaction using Blizzard's interface. There is no third party involvement.
    You can still trade items and gold from player to player without ever touching the auction houses, so there very well may be third party involvement. People can sell gold on the RMAH now, so third party sites selling gold will have a much harder time selling their wares, but it can still happen. One reason why those professional farm companies would rather sell their gear and gold outside the RMAH is that then it would be much harder for Blizzard (and PayPal, seeing as though they'll be working together) to track those transactions.

How are the gold sellers, and just all around scammers going to be handled in D3? Seeing as how ACTUAL money will be used. Wouldn't that amount to larceny? Like frauding Paypal or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    I don't see how you could possibly be scammed on the RMAH without involving a gross amount of negligence on your part, assuming you read before clicking yes or no, it's more or less impossible. If you just spam click without paying attention, sure you might end up paying 100 bucks for a damaged short sword, but in that case its really your own fault.
    You can still be scammed by going to a third party site, paying in advance for gold or items (which you may want to buy because they're advertised as much cheaper than those on the RMAH), and then not getting the product. As for how they're handled, most likely no better or worse than such things are being handled in WoW at the moment.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-04-19 at 10:11 AM.

Deleted
    I don't see how you could possibly be scammed on the RMAH without involving a gross amount of negligence on your part, assuming you read before clicking yes or no, it's more or less impossible. If you just spam click without paying attention, sure you might end up paying 100 bucks for a damaged short sword, but in that case its really your own fault.

100$ to 250$ for legendaries and 5$ to 20$ for inferno rare loot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You can still be scammed by going to a third party site, paying in advance for gold or items (which you may want to buy because they're advertised as much cheaper than those on the RMAH), and then not getting the product. As for how they're handled, most likely no better or worse than such things are being handled in WoW at the moment.
    I cannot imagine that someone would argue that these scams aren't entirely beyond Blizzard's control and responsibility. The stupidity/recklessness required hand over your credit card info to such websites is astounding.

Talking about insane ppl paying money over virtual stuff...You remind me of story happened to me last year, I had lunch with co-worker one day, he was asking me about my hobbies and stuff like that so I told him that I play WoW and he was mocking me about how idiots like us can pay real money for subscriptions and virtual stuff of pc games. before we were heading back to work he said he needs to check his traffic violations before he goes next day to renew his driving license. He was checking over his iphone , suddenly he shouted "WTF 410 Euro!!". I said to him calmly " congratulations you just wasted 3 years subscription fees over traffic violations, you waste your money on this I wasted my money on things I llike...drive safe dude !" since that date he never talks to me again...LOL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    Talking about insane ppl paying money over virtual stuff...You remind me of story happened to me last year, I had lunch with co-worker one day, he was asking me about my hobbies and stuff like that so I told him that I play WoW and he was mocking me about how idiots like us can pay real money for subscriptions and virtual stuff of pc games. before we were heading back to work he said he needs to check his traffic violations before he goes next day to renew his driving license. He was checking over his iphone , suddenly he shouted "WTF 410 Euro!!". I said to him calmly " congratulations you just wasted 3 years subscription fees over traffic violations, you waste your money on this I wasted my money on things I llike...drive safe dude !" since that date he never talks to me again...LOL
    People like this are just ignorant on the topic. They're stuck in the idea that people who play games are basement dwelling no-lifers who wear capes and wizard hats in public. Point is, it doesn't matter what you do with your money as long as you're having fun with it. Hobbies cost money, no matter if you collect stamps, take up archery, or read books. And quite often a lot more than 15 bucks a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then what do you mean? You're still trying to put your finger on something that doesn't exist. There won't be any room for scamming or gold selling. You do every part of the transaction using Blizzard's interface. There is no third party involvement.
    Just like we were told there was no way to dupe gold or items in WoW? But oh! What's this? Duped gems and gold! Shit happens bro, Don't tell me there's "No way" for it to happen.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Depends on supply and demand.

If everybody and their mother spends tons of hours farming just for the sake of selling stuff then I don't see the prices being too high for most items.

I am fully aware people are willing to spend stupid money on gear and such. Back in 2000-2001 I used to sell stuff in Asheron's Call. At the time it was a fairly new thing to sell stuff in a game and there was no mentions of it being again the terms of service or anything.

I sold a suit of Pre-Patch Greated Shadow Amuli Armor (for those few who will know what that is!). Sold it for 500$. Sold several Hoary Mattekar Robes (the original ones) for 110-150$ each. Sold several regular armor pieces for anywhere between 5-15$, a few mod 130% bows for 50$ and a few other things. Even sold my original account with a lvl 50 Archer for 500$

This is the only reason that I decided to get Diablo 3. In the hopes that I can make actual money off of it... and I bet there loads of other people with the game idea...

So it will boil down to if there are more farmers than actual players! Supply and demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    low dollar values, with really rare items maybe hitting 20-50. Maybe a super duper hard to find item selling for 100-300 (think tcg mount cash prices).

Having said that, I seriously doubt many people will be able to make any sort of living off of selling items on the RMAH. Sure, a few people might be able to pull it off, but it's not going to affect every part of the game and make the game P2W like some are suggesting.

@Mycorpse: this is partially right, but in my experience with diablo 2 and the item drops there, everybody that will play this game with the intention to farm items to make money out of it will burn out very very quickly.
    This is not wow, where every boss drops a certain set of items, 99% of the drops will be rubbish in terms of making money out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
    100$ to 250$ for legendaries and 5$ to 20$ for inferno rare loot.
    Rares are better than legendaries, if they have the right stats. The devs mention this in that video going over the gems. Getting a yellow wep with the stats you want is one thing, getting one with high stats you want is going to be worth a ton.

Like a 300ed 2 socket, dual leech, etheral fools phase blade in d2.

Deleted
    Well on d2jsp, d2 items have been sold for up to 50k forum gold, which is like $1500. So that should give you some idea what people are willing to pay.
    Like some people have said already, good rares are going to be worth many times more than legendaries. A perfect rare in diablo 2 is priceless, because it doesn't exist. It's too rare.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartst View Post
    Well on d2jsp, d2 items have been sold for up to 50k forum gold, which is like $1500.
    Can you actually transfer this "forum gold" to your bank account as actual real world currency?