Poison
    Hanoi Rocks
    The Balck Sabbat
    The Runnaways
    Aerosmith
    AC/DC

...can`t remembe the all of them.

Deleted
    Anyways, if we are talking about black metal...

Btw, does anyone happen to know what Finis Malorum means if it means anything at all?
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-04-22 at 08:13 PM.

Deleted
    You sure Aeons of Desolation is Black metal? Does sound pretty good though.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    It most certainly is Black Metal, that much is obvious. But thankfully, there actually exist Black Metal bands who realised that sounding like a cat being torn apart isn't required.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    Atmospheric Black Metal with Doom elements, I'd say. Sear Bliss was always somewhat experimental, that's true but I'd still list most of their works into black metal.

Steel Panther is mightier than Black Metal and other scandinavian crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It most certainly is Black Metal, that much is obvious. But thankfully, there actually exist Black Metal bands who realised that sounding like a cat being torn apart isn't required.
    You must have heard some truly dreadful BM to come to that conclusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    found this band a few months ago. and i have to say their whole album kicks ass but here's my favs from it

amazing space metal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psdew1813 View Post
    found this band a few months ago. and i have to say their whole album kicks ass but here's my favs from it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCgG8BzcZTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojkjS0BGS_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyn2y9GVHwM
    amazing space metal
    It's prog metal with djent elements. No need to invent a new genre.

Deleted
    I think Vildhjarta might be reasonably similiar to that band based on what I heard, however I haven't heard lots of things from US and I listened to very minimal Vildhjarta too (this is something I want to remedy) so I might be wrong, but that band might be a point of interest for you if you liked Uneven.

10+ Year Old Account

This is supost to be a 36 min long song, and a good one indeed

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Btw, does anyone happen to know what Finis Malorum means if it means anything at all?
    It's Latin and means "The end of evil". Courtesy of Google translate.

Deleted
    Eh last time I checked for latin there wasn't :<

So I booked it in my mind google translate not having latin, mby they updated!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    You must have heard some truly dreadful BM to come to that conclusion.
    Truly indeed. But honestly, most of the early Norwegian Black Metal did more-or-less just sound like a bunch of angry guys pissing into the PA.

---------- Post added 2012-04-22 at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Steel Panther is mightier than Black Metal and other scandinavian crap.
    Steel Panther is a glam-parody band... Fun as they may be, mighty they are not.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Aeon
    Behemoth
    Bloodbath
    Devin Townsend
    Drudkh
    Enslaved
    The Faceless
    Gorgoroth
    Grave
    Immolation
    Immortal
    The Monolith Deathcult
    Morbid Angel
    My Dying Bride
    Opeth
    Satyricon
    Septicflesh
    Short Bus Pile Up
    Spawn of Possession
    Strapping Young Lad
    Veil of Maya
    Watain
    Windir
    As well as some others I can't think of at the moment. For the most part it's death and black metal, with a little bit of deathcore.
    As for long hair, I've had long hair for years now and I just can't picture myself without it.
    BURN THIS CITY TO THE GROUND, TAKE A TORCH AND SPREAD THE FIRE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Latin in Metal: This is an interesting read.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Truly indeed. But honestly, most of the early Norwegian Black Metal did more-or-less just sound like a bunch of angry guys pissing into the PA.
    I'm guessing you are talking about the raw production prevalent among older and contemporary underground releases. Early '90s BM bands obviously tried their best to mess with their production, either through purposeful use of shitty equipment (Filosofem, Burzum), shitty recording environment (Nattens Madrigal, Ulver), or a combination of both (Forest Poetry, Ildjarn). It was a matter of choice, not money.

To me, the low production is a big part of what BM is, it's part of its charm. If done well, as was the case in Darkthrone's Transilvanian Hunger, it really adds something to the music, an atmosphere that cannot be attained any other way. Naturally, if produced badly (Nattens Madrigal, Ildjarn/bedroom BM) it could ruin the whole record, nobody likes trying to decipher music through a wall of static.

The Sear Bliss song posted above is a good example of how BM could be produced. It's still rough and a bit dirty, which adds to it's charm, without being overly so. Imagine it being crystal clear like a pop album, how much it would change/affect the atmosphere.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-04-22 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I take exception to your above example. Nattens Madrigal has a remarkable sound which suits the album for what it is. Despite its perceived imbalance due to the trebly sound, it's still a very clear production with its own unique sound.

I much prefer this over any generic metal sound you get these days, where you can't even tell what band it is by the production because they all sound the exact same.

//edit: Sidenote, most metal bands - let alone black metal upstarts - didn't exactly have much choice back then. Most of the studios were either horrid or fiendishly expensive or both. 18-20 year olds generally do not have a lot of money to spare and neither did their labels in as far as they were actually signed at the time of the recording. Read, if you feel so inclined, the stories of Limbonic Art recording their early albums.

//edit2: Additionally, apart from the musicians being poor and the studios being horrid... even the good studios had no clue how to record this type of music. As an example, I love the Grieghallen sound. But it took Pytten about 5 years to perfect it. The early albums recorded there (around 1991-ish) were really not that great sounding when compared to a Soulblight, which is some 6 years later.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-04-22 at 11:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzeboy View Post
    As for long hair, I've had long hair for years now and I just can't picture myself without it.
    I always wanted to grow my hair long, I even tried to during my mid teens, but decided keep it short instead once I realized it didn't look good. (I have thick, slightly wavy hair)

---------- Post added 2012-04-23 at 01:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I take exception to your above example. Nattens Madrigal has a remarkable sound which suits the album for what it is. Despite its perceived imbalance due to the trebly sound, it's still a very clear production with its own unique sound.

I much prefer this over any generic metal sound you get these days, where you can't even tell what band it is by the production because they all sound the exact same.
    I agree, unique could definitely used to describe it. If it didn't hurt my head every time I listened to it, I might have a different stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    //edit: Sidenote, most metal bands - let alone black metal upstarts - didn't exactly have much choice back then. Most of the studios were either horrid or fiendishly expensive or both. 18-20 year olds generally do not have a lot of money to spare and neither did their labels in as far as they were actually signed at the time of the recording. Read, if you feel so inclined, the stories of Limbonic Art recording their early albums.
    That might be so, but that still didn't prevent some bands from going out of their way create a low quality production, such as by purposely buying bad equipment.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-04-22 at 11:06 PM.

Deleted
    Have to say I can't think of many things that annoy me more in music than the feeling that "I would enjoy this infinitely more had the production been different". For that reason I'm all for having bands re-release earlier stuff with modern (usually meaning cleaner) production. Too bad there's so few if any bands re-releasing their clean production stuff as "dirty" afterwards. For one quick example I'd love to hear some of Behemoth's newer albums with less clean production.

I think that in general the black metal artists with their cheap (or dirty) production (even if intentional) hit the jackpot in so many cases that it far outweighs the times that low cost production ruined albums.
    Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2012-04-22 at 11:51 PM.