Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will the upcoming BWE FINALLY feature Modifiers for Keybinds?

If this upcoming BWE doesn't have the ability to use modifiers, then that will be one of the biggest blunders I can imagine them making for the BWE and this player-driven marketing campaign. Not everyone who prepurchased is a die hard GW1 fan and used to not having the ability to keybind modifiers, and I would wager to say that at the very least 70% of the player base for the first BWE are people that use modifiers extensively. Something so small and important to how a game feels and its control to not be in the game this late in development is nothing short of a serious failure on Anet.

There is no counter point to this argument. "You only have 10 skills" or "There's not as many skills as other MMOs" are nowhere near sufficient arguments. The very least you can have in combat is 13 keybinds/skills in combat(Necro, Warrior, Thief). 10 buttons for skills and utilities, 1 for weapon swapping, 1 for profession-specific(DeathShroud, Burst, Steal) and 1 revive/finish move. Having F1-F4 as actual buttons for gameplay is woefully inefficient, especially in a highly mobile game such as GW2.

We've all heard ANet spout lines like "Play the game how you want to", but honestly leaving out modifiers will go directly against that statement. Not everyone in the BWE knows that ANet "plans" to implement the modifiers before launch and I know a few hardcore pvpers that will be IMMEDIATELY turned off by the absence of modifiers. Again, this wouldn't be an issue or feel like a futile cry of frustration at ANet if they would just have the damn forums up. The vast majority of people on these forums and other forums are wanting modifiers, and we don't even know if someone from ANet sees our complaints because they have yet to open their official forums so we'd all have the proper channels to address these issues.

They might have gotten some feedback from the CBT testers, but I think we can all agree that the majority of those players didn't know much about the game and in general these players were terrible to begin with. So the feedback ANet got from those CBT's will be skewed when actual good players get their hands on the game and bitch their heads off at such a simple quality of life feature being mysteriously missing from the game. Honestly ANet, it should be already in the game. The talk of trying to dethrone WoW when you haven't put in a feature found in pretty much every MMO that improves control and functionality for the player, is going to bite you in the ass. If you need help with the coding, call me and my friends and I will gladly put in the late hours to fix this issue.

Hopefully they do have them in, because that way I can have all my abilities bound to my mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Hopefully they do have them in, because that way I can have all my abilities bound to my mouse.
    One hand playing GW2 and the other dipping chocolate chip cookies in milk?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure they will as they've said a few times this wont be anything like Guild Wars 1. Also they really haven't been talking about dethroning WoW just giving it a run for it's money.. they even said in a recent interview "only WoW can kill WoW". Personally I'm sure they will though.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    One hand playing GW2 and the other dipping chocolate chip cookies in milk?
    That's disgusting, oreos are milks favorite cookie after all.

That's disgusting, oreos are milks favorite cookie after all.
    I drink the milk as I want and care nothing for its feelings or needs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryph View Post
    blah blah blah blah
    blah
    blah
    blah blah blah

If you need help with the coding, call me and my friends and I will gladly put in the late hours to fix this issue.
    HAHAHAHA lol some nobody telling the devs of the greatest game ever made in the past 5 years to help with coding

lol!

oh god i needed a laugh, thank you

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    HAHAHAHA lol some nobody telling the devs of the greatest game ever made in the past 5 years to help with coding

lol!

oh god i needed a laugh, thank you
    Hes extremly passionate , and looks like he truly loves the game

(See you in PvP, Ryph !)

Edit: Sorry Bloodlight and Ryph , for the non-constructive posts , but are are like small children waiting for their presents!
    I support this thread 100% !
    (But i dont think , they will listen to the fans forums , 3 days before the betas . They will w8 for ingame freeback)
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-04-24 at 05:35 AM.

Good to see another thread being trashed by nonconstructive posts!

OT: I agree, OP. My gf plays left handed (left hand on the mouse, right hand on the keyboard) and has rather small hands.. thus she cannot reach past the 5 key.
    Yeah people could say "just bind all the other keys like Z, R, E etc etc" but why should she have to unbind other keys purely because Anet doesn't feel like adding modifiers. They want a fast pace combat, yet they want players to click the 6 - 0 keys? It's completely contradicting.
    I don't see the hesitation. It doesn't give anyone an advantage - you play how you want to play. It doesn't do anything except promote better play and more comfortable players as they get to play how they want to play.

To me, It doesn't matter much because I have the Naga mouse with 1-0 on the thumb.

If I didn't, i'd def. want to be able to modify them though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

I hope they have the modifiers because I'm essentially a one handed gamer due to a degenerative nerve disease. This facet of things I never thought about until it affected me personally but now that it does I can't understand why all devs don't take extra steps for gamer convenience. The added complexity for me is that I am right handed but can now only use my left hand for fine motor activity. Anyone want to guess how many quality left handed gaming mice there are out there? I use the left handed Death Adder by Razer and applaude them for green lighting a left handed Naga to be released next year. As good as the Death Adder is I need more than 2 thumb buttons for GW2 especially if it won't have fully custom key mapping.

Looking forward to this weekend to get cracking at the Beta.... just hoping the devs make mapping keys very easy for us gamers with one hand to play with.

I highly support this measure. F-keys are absolutely dreadful for any measure of competitive PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you got the Razor Naga then? If so, I'm pretty sure you can keybind them as you like with macros anyway. Like with alot of other gaming mouses/keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by trakbob View Post
    I guess you got the Razor Naga then? If so, I'm pretty sure you can keybind them as you like with macros anyway. Like with alot of other gaming mouses/keyboards.
    He has the "poor mans naga"

<stalker, wat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryph View Post
    There is no counter point to this argument. "You only have 10 skills" or "There's not as many skills as other MMOs" are nowhere near sufficient arguments. The very least you can have in combat is 13 keybinds/skills in combat(Necro, Warrior, Thief). 10 buttons for skills and utilities, 1 for weapon swapping, 1 for profession-specific(DeathShroud, Burst, Steal) and 1 revive/finish move. Having F1-F4 as actual buttons for gameplay is woefully inefficient, especially in a highly mobile game such as GW2.
    WASD - Movement
    1-5 - Weapon Skills
    Ctrl - Dodge modifier
    Shift - Jump
    Caps Lock - Loot
    Tab - Switch weapon
    Q - Heal
    ERF - Utilty
    G - Elite
    Space,CVB - Profession specific skills

There is also Alt,T,Z,X,~ and extra mouse buttons if you dislike some of the suggestions.

Also, anyone with a programmable mouse should definitely prefer the current system, because it makes dodging more efficient. (While holding W+D you can tap ctrl and immediately dodge)
    Last edited by mmoc3187f3b1eb; 2012-04-24 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I highly support this measure. F-keys are absolutely dreadful for any measure of competitive PvP.
    Agreed, that's why you rebind to QERT or if you use ESDF for movement then you use QWRT or something.

Currently, in GW1, you can change your keybindings via the Options. I'm sure they will put some way of changing bindings in 2, though it may not be the same system they use in 1. Whatever the system is, it may not be in the beta, so don't be disappointed if you don't see it in the beta.

Deleted
    I'll just point out that the OP most likely knows about being able to rebind keys, the question is regarding using modifiers (shift+key, ctrl+key, alt+key) in the keybindings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    WASD - Movement
    1-5 - Weapon Skills
    Ctrl - Dodge modifier
    Shift - Jump
    Caps Lock - Loot
    Tab - Switch weapon
    Q - Heal
    ERF - Utilty
    G - Elite
    Space,CVB - Profession specific skills

There is also Alt,T,Z,X,~ and extra mouse buttons if you dislike some of the suggestions.

Also, anyone with a programmable mouse should definitely prefer the current system, because it makes dodging more efficient. (While holding W+D you can tap ctrl and immediately dodge)
    this, the keyboard has some many options it's unreal.
    prior to my razer naga i used the following keys for my warrior tank in wow: ctrl, shift, caps, tab, 1,2,3,4,q,e,r,t,f,g,z,x,c,v,space, (wasd movement),~, (many of these were modified with Shift aswell giving even more keybinds).

That being said: i DO want to be able to modify heavily
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Did somebody say Razer naga FTW . Ill just be writing my own macros in my Naga that fixes everything... On click ground target abilities and everything woo hoo...