Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I severely doubt the cost of runes meant anything towards the amount of the fee or tip. You're paying/tipping for the convenience, not the 20-silver reagent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    If you wipe then sure. But if one person dies, your not ressing them is kinda silly.
    It is silly, just like charging or expect money for simply pressing 1 button to help someone out.

see how it comes full circle? no one pays or expects to pay or anything for any other "service" that was just given to us by the trainer for a couple silver or gold. Mages shouldnt either

Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    I dont use a portal for myself, I use my teleports.... When I use portals, its for someone else... It takes time and time is money...

CLEARLY you are in a group if someone needs a rez.... 5 man? raid? yea you are there to benefit yourself... so it applies to your duty in that group...
    No one will msg you inside a city when they cant be killed (unless its a pvp server?) for a rez.... how can they die? lol
    People fail in very creative ways

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    People fail in very creative ways
    then yes... you can charge... you can charge for anything but 99.9% of the time people will ask a random person that is not in their group for a rez

Quote Originally Posted by Viled View Post
    It is silly, just like charging or expect money for simply pressing 1 button to help someone out.

see how it comes full circle? no one pays or expects to pay or anything for any other "service" that was just given to us by the trainer for a couple silver or gold. Mages shouldnt either
    The difference is that in one case there is no expectation of that service being performed and there is no benefit to the person performing the service. As hard as you may try, it really is comparing apples to oranges.

So here is the new list of "spells" that classify as a "Luxury" and will now be charged for using mage logic:

Any type of rez (ie mass rez, rebirth)
    Any Paladin Buff (kings, might, salv, BoP)
    Any Druid buff (thorns, MotW)
    Any Priest Buffs (fort, shadow resist, power infusion)
    Any time a shaman lays down a totem
    Each warlock hearthstone
    Each player summoned with "have group will travel"
    Any time you are affected with "aspect of the pack" or "crusader aura" movement buffs

This list is subject to change with or without prior notice
    If you are already grouped with a mage in an instance and ask for a portal to SW when it's over, I don't think that is something you should tip for. However, if you whisper a random mage and ask for a portal, you are taking their time and as such, should always drop them a tip. Everything you listed falls in the same category. If you are imposing your game needs on someone else who is not already grouped with you, you should give them a tip. Your needs are not more important than their time. I don't even play a mage and I can see the difference.

3 bag slots opened up....Yea

10+ Year Old Account

Someone has no grasp on economics in the slight. There is demand for it and a customer base. You won't get that with buffs or anything else because you're benefiting from it. No one is going to ask for the things you listed outside of an environment where you both benefit. Ex. No1 needs buffs inside cities, summoning is hardly ever used these days, resurrection speeds up the task, etc....etc. No market for it. No customers.
    Last edited by Agent Mercury; 2012-05-01 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    Someone has no grasp on economics in the slight. There is demand for it and a customer base. You won't get that with buffs or anything else because your benefiting from it. No one is going to ask for the things you listed outside of an environment where you both benefit. Ex. No1 needs buffs inside cities, summoning is hardly ever used these days, resurrection speeds up the task, etc....etc. No market for it. No customers.
    you basically summed it up the correct way. ty lol

Quote Originally Posted by terrih91 View Post
    it takes 40s or what ever to learn the training for a port to IF. over 10k gold to learn 525 enchanting and then maelstroms to get the recepies to learn most of the stuff people want. see where im getting at? mages didnt go to hogwarts to learn how to open a portal and spend tuition and room and books and they are trying to pay off their gringots loan (nerd mode off). but trolling aside i hope you were just messing around lol =P
    And yet my mage with max enchanting still is forced to DE stuff for people in groups, but doesn't get to roll when they skin, mine, pick, or otherwise gather something.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT People whining that many mages charge for the use of their time.

Portals are a convenience, they do not prevent you from dying, they do not directly help you in a dangerous fight situation. Trying to make an analogy using all the other skills that you provide is irrelevant.

I have seen Warlocks that charge when you ask for them to summon a friend for you, and yet noone mentions it.

Are you at a direct disadvantage from not being able to take a portal somewhere? No, the only thing that it saves you is the time that it would take to fly to your destination yourself.

Mages have no obligation to service your every need just because you perceive it to have no cost for them, time is indeed money. Do you do everything for free? You found that drop, it didn't cost you anything but yet you sell it on the auction house, why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    And yet my mage with max enchanting still is forced to DE stuff for people in groups, but doesn't get to roll when they skin, mine, pick, or otherwise gather something.
    It is convenience. Nothing more. Your rolling on the green and the game DE's it for them since there is a Enchanter in the group. You're not forced to sit through the cast bar over and over. You have no access to the nodes but they do to that green. Such a simple concept. It isn't like the tips are out the roof for prospecting anyways and that is the closest thing you could compare that too.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never charged for portals. Besides that, it´s not like the tip I sometimes get is for the 7 silver it costs me to portal a person.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    I think it's fair to ask a few g for a portal.
    Personally I only charge people if I'm qued for an instance, guild members and random people if I'm not in que I portal for free.
    If I have to leave a que that means I lose playtime and then I want some gold to make up for it.

Deleted
    > says "but when you string them together like that it's not even English"
    >uses "take the f#$%^ing bus" as if proper grammar
    >mfw
    You can use [quote] tags to quote people. This is not a BBS.

Also I don't see a face anywhere, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    If you are already grouped with a mage in an instance and ask for a portal to SW when it's over, I don't think that is something you should tip for. However, if you whisper a random mage and ask for a portal, you are taking their time and as such, should always drop them a tip. Everything you listed falls in the same category. If you are imposing your game needs on someone else who is not already grouped with you, you should give them a tip. Your needs are not more important than their time. I don't even play a mage and I can see the difference.
    Yeah, people really don't understand the whole portals issue. Mages charge because it's a pain to get whispered every five minutes from some random, or to become a port-bitch for holiday events, especially when you have to explain to people that you're sitting in the queue and no it's not worth 10g to drop out eight minutes in.

But then, of course, you get the people that think "hurr durr it's a spell so it's the same as my spells, no more heals for you!" No, it's not the same. It's a goddamn rift in the space-time continuum that takes you from Point A to F without having to travel Blizzard's wonky hit-every-point-in-between system. That's what we call convenience. It's a spell of convenience, not necessity. If I'm in a dungeon, spamming Fireball and the rest of my spells is a necessity, otherwise the boss will at best die much slower, and at worst end up wiping the group. Self- and group-buffing is a necessity, hence why I throw up Molten Armor and Arcane Brilliance. Healing and tanking is a necessity, which is why you guys are expected to do your job and not think "grr, that mage can go anywhere in Azeroth he wants, let's see how he likes the graveyard." But portals? You're really going to tell me that portals are on the same level of importance as any other spell? Well, it's nice to know that I can now sit in front of a boss, conjuring random ports in the off-chance that he'll take one by accident and be fucked.

And if the difference between spells doesn't do it for you, how about this: Imagine being asked every five or ten minutes by someone you don't know to buff them. Sometimes they take a while flying to you and you need to stand still and wait for them. Sometimes they just don't move at all and you sigh to yourself, shrug after deciding it's easier to get it over with, and spend a few minutes searching for them in Old Town so they can have their precious MotW. Do that every day for a couple years, then see if you don't start telling them you'd appreciate a few pieces of gold for your effort.

Mages will still be able to charge a fee. Its for the convenience, never for the cost of the 50 silver or whatever reagent.

I'll personally just continue to ask a guild member to do it it for free or not use one at all.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

10+ Year Old Account

If you want to port around, roll a mage. If you set foot in an instant, and refuse to heal/dps/tank because some mage out in SW refused to port you to Dalaran because he wanted you to pay 10g for the portal, you need to find a new single player game to play.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

If I build a computer that will be used by both myself and X person... I wouldn't charge that person for putting it together....
    If a friend asked me to build his computer... I wouldn't ask for a payment... though they probably would anyways...
    Now if some random person asked me to put together his... I would

Whine all you like, the reality of the situation is this:

1. Reagents were never the reason Mages got to charge for Portals.
    2. Mages are going to continue to charge for portals.
    3. You are never going to be able to charge for resurrections in an instance, nor taunts, nor heals.

It's heartbreaking, I know. I'm surprised nobody ever wrote a folk song about the plight of the Orgrimmar- and Stormwind-marooned non-mages, too poor to afford a portal, too bumfuzzled to take the bus.