Page 1 of 40
... LastLast

Is Global Warming official now?

Every time i watch tv everyone seems to have this acceptance attitude that there is global warming. It seems to be everywhere, even in advertisement. Instead of it's coming everyone is like it's here. Yet i don't recall anything official announced?

I believe the Sun has a far greater influence on your climate than anything we do so I won't believe man made global warming until it's official.

So have i missed anything or is it just companies trying to cash in on going green?

It's been official for a long time.

It's been BS for a long time.

You're a few decades late. The general public is beginning to accept it, but we've known about this for around 30-40 years now.

This isn't necessarily a good thing. Nobody really knows how to combat it as we don't truly understand the cause of it. There's more misinformation in the general public, than solid information. The only thing we know for sure, is the earth is warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    It's been BS for a long time.
    Yeah, 90% of the scientific community is clearly just trolling.

So you won't believe it until someone comes out and tells you that it's real? Until then it's just a ridiculous idea that hasn't been "made official"?

10+ Year Old Account
    if its fake then Obama killed JFK or so i think... oh and aliens abducted me last year
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I understand it the consensus - man that word looks funny when I spell it - is that Humanity Enhanced/Caused Global Warming is a real thing. At the very least the most public of scientists - Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Lawrence Krauss, to name a couple - accept it as valid. Neither of them are climatologist, but I would expect them to have their fingers pretty close to the pulse of current thought. Also, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijVlez5R9w because Neil is my damn hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    This is stupid. The planet heating up is a fact.
    The discussion is what's causing it.

Deleted
    The honest answer is, noone knows whether this is definitely man made global warming or not.

BUT

GLOBAL WARMING IS TAKING PLACE (This is the easy bit to prove, you just measure temperatures and note how they have gone up (which they have, quite drastically), the debate is whether global warming is a natural process or a man made event (and also the other debate is "is global warming actually going to make that much difference to the world?")

There are man made factors that SHOULD cause global warming (increase of greenhouse gases, damage to the ozone layer, increasing the "darkness" of the planet via urbanisation and creating heat islands), but by how much is still up for complete debate.

At the same time there are currently natural factors also happening at the same time which also SHOULD cause global warming (most notably heavily increased solar activity), but again, noone can say definitively how much these do affect temperatures.

It is still a subject we know very little about, and as such, the causation of global warming is definitely still up for debate.

The fact that there is global warming? That has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by sendetto View Post
    This is stupid. The planet heating up is a fact.
    The discussion is what's causing it.
    This. Quite a few people think its just the planets natural cooling/warming cycles that have been sped up.

10+ Year Old Account
    In before Ninespine

Yes, Global Warming is taking effect, but not in the way fear-mongers would have you believe. The truth of the matter is the Earth has been getting warmer ever since the last ice age, sure some of the things we are doing can help speed it a long a tiny bit but it certainly won't stop if we just decided to stop using harmful gasses.

Al Gore started lobbying for global warming in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    This. Quite a few people think its just the planets natural cooling/warming cycles that have been sped up.
    Also This.

Infracted
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-05-03 at 03:42 PM.

Deleted
    It is pretty much "official" if that is how you want to say it everywhere, except Fox News(who are totally legit and bring only the purest of truths). Which is where i assume Korru gets his/hers news from.

AND we humans do in fact have a much greater impact on Earth that the sun does. "But the sun is so big" you might say. Yes but the sun doesn't produce a series of chemicals of which it then lets loose to roam and mix with everything else. Which fun story is what we have been doing the last 100 years or so.

And if you have to ask, NO you don't need all that much, just the right stuff to change the chemistry in the Ozone layer and bam global warming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    As I understand it the consensus - man that word looks funny when I spell it - is that Humanity Enhanced/Caused Global Warming is a real thing. At the very least the most public of scientists - Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Lawrence Krauss, to name a couple - accept it as valid. Neither of them are climatologist, but I would expect them to have their fingers pretty close to the pulse of current thought. Also, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijVlez5R9w because Neil is my damn hero.
    Global Warming is a real thing. It was already scientificaly proven that the only thing humans do is speed up the progress, and are not the cause of it. Global climate change is something that's bound to happen over a long period of time and has happened multiple times in the history of earth already. With this I don't mean we shouldn't take any action to reduce the speed at wich it is happening as we can't entirely stop it though. :P
    Last edited by mmoc0d5c2297ff; 2012-05-02 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted
    I wonder how much people are going to whine when the Global Cooling starts again.

Global warming is a poorly coined term.

Climate change, caused or accelerated by mankind's activities on the planet is a widely scientifically accepted phenomena.

The Siberian and wider Arctic permafrost is melting at an increasing rate, releasing tonnes of methane into the atmosphere. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0718214744.htm for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivet View Post
    And if you have to ask, NO you don't need all that much, just the right stuff to change the chemistry in the Ozone layer and bam global warming.
    Global warming itself has existed prior to all that, so no changing the chemistry of the Ozone layer isn't the cause of global warming, it might speed it up but that's something entirely different - you make it seem as if we are the reasons it exists in the first place when it is much more elementary than that.

And I like that you take the shot at Fox news (not that I think it's any better) when you mention other news stations. Clearly since you get your news from CNN it must surely be unbiased and true