Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Going Vegetarian

Hey guys! So a friend of mine was ranting how after a month of being a vegetarian she was feeling better and had more energy. Now my question is, it better than an all around balanced diet? I play soccer on my college team, so would the lack of meat affect my performance? Surely I could get the protein and calories I need from nuts/dairy. I'm three days into my new diet, would just like other opinions on this if any of you were vegetarians.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaedoslim View Post
    Hey guys! So a friend of mine was ranting how after a month of being a vegetarian she was feeling better and had more energy. Now my question is, it better than an all around balanced diet? I play soccer on my college team, so would the lack of meat affect my performance? Surely I could get the protein and calories I need from nuts/dairy. I'm three days into my new diet, would just like other opinions on this if any of you were vegetarians.
    I haven't noticed much of an energy increase since I've gone vegetarian 5 months ago for the new year. What I have noticed is nearly 30 lbs of weight loss with minimal effort. I get most of my protein from eggs, soy products, and nuts so no problems there.

I really think that in the end, it's up to you. Eating meat isn't terrible, or generally bad for you in moderation and if it's cooked properly (baked/broiled/grilled).

10+ Year Old Account
    It is not better than a well-balanced diet. Assuming your well-balanced diet is *truly* well-balanced. If your gonna do it, I suggest slowly working down to it btw! Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The real reason why your friend would feel "more healthy" or something is the fact meat leaves quite an amount of toxins, all over your body. You don't feel it, as it increases gradually, but getting rid of this is a relief. The best solution is a small vege diet, during which you eat healthy and so on, but also eat big amounts of food that can remove the toxins. It is usually a kind of rice or groats.

After the diet you should feel healthy. However, if you are not "don't kill animals for foods" hippie and only are on diet due of health, I sugget going back to meat after the diet. The ingredients of meat are the easiest for your body to assimilate, and when nicely cooked, give the best energy boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    The real reason why your friend would feel "more healthy" or something is the fact meat leaves quite an amount of toxins, all over your body. You don't feel it, as it increases gradually, but getting rid of this is a relief. The best solution is a small vege diet, during which you eat healthy and so on, but also eat big amounts of food that can remove the toxins. It is usually a kind of rice or groats.

After the diet you should feel healthy. However, if you are not "don't kill animals for foods" hippie and only are on diet due of health, I sugget going back to meat after the diet. The ingredients of meat are the easiest for your body to assimilate, and when nicely cooked, give the best energy boost.
    What toxins?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's perfectly possible to have a balanced diet without eating any meat. There's plenty of replacement food. I'd probably eat less meat if tofu didn't taste terrible.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    It's perfectly possible to have a balanced diet without eating any meat. There's plenty of replacement food. I'd probably eat less meat if tofu didn't taste terrible.
    have you tried seitan, its supposedly got better flavor and texture than tofu, and its made from wheat.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I cut out dairy and red meat and I feel a thousand times better.

You still need protein and it can be a challenge to get enough on a vegan/vegetarian diet.

I still eat organic eggs and occasionally I eat fish or chicken.

By all means, give it a try! Genetically modified foods are so awful, spread awareness! (I highly recommend you do a google search on GMOs and the effect on human health / honey bee populations )

EDIT: Keep in mind it doesn't have to be all or nothing, take baby steps and start by just reducing your intake of red meat and see how you feel.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2012-05-03 at 06:45 PM.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    A proper diet is fathoms greater than straight veg. I am not saying Vegans are unhealthy but they can't achieve the same level of someone who balances their diet and watches what they eat without cutting out things.

Not all meat is the same. Etc. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    I cut out dairy and red meat and I feel a thousand times better.

I still eat organic eggs and occasionally I eat fish or chicken.
    why not all meat, red meat isn't really different from fish or chicken
    Gamdwelf the Mage

What was your friend eating before hand that was meat? Fast food? Of course she feels better but don't let her "HEY LOOK AT ME I AM A VEGITARIAN CAUSE I DON'T WANT THE ANIMALS TO BE HURT!!!!" fool you.

Eat a healthy balanced diet with or without lean meats and you will feel a lot better if you currently do not eat healthily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    A proper diet is fathoms greater than straight veg. I am not saying Vegans are unhealthy but they can't achieve the same level of someone who balances their diet and watches what they eat without cutting out things.

Vegans and Vegetarians are entirely different.

We always have a vegetarian option, you can make do or you can go without. There are plenty of food that can serve as an adequate and healthy source of protein for both meat eaters and vegetarians. Healthy eating is not mutually exclusive to either!!

Deleted
    I am almost a pure carnivore (keto diet), i have never had so much energy.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    why not all meat, red meat isn't really different from fish or chicken
    Because the meat industry in the US is disgusting. At least with chicken I have an easier time buying locally from farms that are free range and the chickens are fed an organic diet.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    But . . . but . . . bacon is not a vegetable
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    There's no reason that switching from a meat inclusive diet to a non inclusive diet would make you feel better. Unless you're eating too much protein. Or they're allergic to something in the food they were previously eating.

The energy levels part is the biggest bullshit though. That's just a placebo. They think they're being healthier and thus they feel it.

Being vegetarian is not only a bad health choice.

It goes against nature. Things eat things, that's the way it is meant to be.

But if you so choose to be a vegetarian, don't be one of those vegetarians who thinks they are better than meat eaters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Because the meat industry in the US is disgusting. At least with chicken I have an easier time buying locally from farms that are free range and the chickens are fed an organic diet.
    Do you know organic food still gets sprayed with pesticides?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post

Oh they cant?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...etarians021711