Can you either tell us the password or remove the password renn?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Can you either tell us the password or remove the password renn?
    Sorry, edited the link.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Sorry, edited the link.
    Still seems to be linking to a private album

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resinderate View Post
    Still seems to be linking to a private album
    Yeah, derp me, I just changed it to public.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drainedsoul View Post
    All different monitors tee hee :P
    I don't suppose you use those for surround/eyefinity and tend to use them more on an individual basis?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    All different monitors tee hee :P
    23" Samsung LED LCD | 30" Dell IPS U3011 | 27" LG LED LCD

I don't suppose you use those for surround/eyefinity and tend to use them more on an individual basis?
    I like to have the option of just clicking out of games to IM/browse/change music.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It must have been a long day, I forgot to plug in the molex connector for my H80, explains why the fan wasn't spinning. Regardless, I moved it to the rear of the case cause it doesn't suspend from the top with both fans on it. Looks like I will just get 4 more of those Xigmatek 140mm silent fans, the thing is cool running as it is, but more doesn't hurt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    What is that case?
    CM Storm Enforcer, but I sprayed the black grill and PCI slot overs red.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did some overclocking, I really dig the MSI BIOS screen on these Z77 boards, it's so simplistic and you can use a mouse too. Running my 2600k at 4.6Ghz currently without tweaking any other settings, just changed the clock frequency and that was it. The temperatures are a bit high at 35 degrees idle, but that's OK.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2355539

You didn't need to change anything like load-line calibration? Just the multiplier and set voltage to 1.32v?

It's an auto-overclock I believe. So simply setting the multiplier is logically enough for it to enable or alter any necessary features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just changed the clock frequency and that's it? There is just 1 other setting you need to manually set and that is the core voltage (vCore). When motherboards are left to automatically decide the voltage for overclocked chips, some tend to throw out excessive voltage or even undervolt, causing instability. It looks like your chip will be happy with 1.32v @ 4.6ghz, so go back into BIOS and manually set it to 1.32v and you're golden. If you notice instability during Prime 95 (or whatever you use to test stability) then nudge the voltage a teeny bit higher to 1.325v, then 1.33v, etc.
    All other settings can be left to auto/defaults since it's just a moderate OC.

Also keep an eye on temps

Also GUI-based BIOS's where you can use the mouse have been around since the P67 days (or maybe even earlier), it's not specific to Z77 boards or MSI boards. Though I will admit MSI's implementation is pretty good unlike *cough* Gigabyte *cough* :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-03 at 10:29 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    It's an auto-overclock I believe. So simply setting the multiplier is logically enough for it to enable or alter any necessary features.
    Yeah, alternatively though they have a feature called OC Genie II, though I have not read into how that works exactly. Apparently it's an auto overclock for your hardware, but I chose to just do it manually. I think I might bump it down to 4.2Ghz though, however I'd be interested to see if I can hit 5Ghz without making any other adjustments aside from the multiplier.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 06:33 PM ----------

Just changed the clock frequency and that's it? There is just 1 other setting you need to manually set and that is the core voltage (vCore). When motherboards are left to automatically decide the voltage for overclocked chips, some tend to throw out excessive voltage or even undervolt, causing instability. It looks like your chip will be happy with 1.32v @ 4.6ghz, so go back into BIOS and manually set it to 1.32v and you're golden. If you notice instability during Prime 95 (or whatever you use to test stability) then nudge the voltage a teeny bit higher to 1.325v, then 1.33v, etc.
    All other settings can be left to auto/defaults since it's just a moderate OC.

Also keep an eye on temps

Also GUI-based BIOS's where you can use the mouse have been around since the P67 days (or maybe even earlier), it's not specific to Z77 boards or MSI boards. Though I will admit MSI's implementation is pretty good unlike *cough* Gigabyte *cough* :P
    Neither of my previous Gigabyte boards had a GUI based BIOS actually, they were all ghetto style with keyboard controls only

I will go and adjust the vCore manually though, it seems that CPU-Z has it sitting at 1.328 volts right now and it crashed on the last Prime95 test. Temperatures seem fine though, 35 degrees idling, however I might have to keep the OC lower through the summer otherwise I will have an even hotter room and it will just overheat my CPU (or me, whichever comes first)

I just tried out the Asus auto OC feature, I set me at 4.37 GHz@1.33V and after about 5 minutes of prime95 the cpu didn't go above 40°C.

I'll probably try setting the vcore around there and boosting the frequency up a bit, maybe to 4.6.

//Off-topic: Has anybody got any experiece with Gigabyte's graphics card overclocking tool Easyboost?

10+ Year Old Account
    however I'd be interested to see if I can hit 5Ghz without making any other adjustments aside from the multiplier.
    Haha if only it was that easy :P
    Your PC will most likely freeze on the windows logo and crash in the background (as I've experienced all too often when toying with multipliers ) or simply BSOD after startup. Worse, your mobo may spit some crazy auto vcore like 1.5v (or even higher) to just to get that overclock functional.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I just tried out the Asus auto OC feature, I set me at 4.37 GHz@1.33V and after about 5 minutes of prime95 the cpu didn't go above 40°C.

I'll probably try setting the vcore around there and boosting the frequency up a bit, maybe to 4.6.
    There we go, 1.33v is way overkill for an overclock that could potentially be pulled at stock volts (or just a tad more). But as you said, 4.6 should definitely be doable at 1.33v so try it.

//Off-topic: Has anybody got any experiece with Gigabyte's graphics card overclocking tool Easyboost?
    EasyBoost, Precision, SmartDoctor...just different skins of programs that do exactly the same thing as MSI Afterburner, which everyone should be using :P
    GPU overclocking is as simple as drawing squares in MS paint!
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-03 at 10:58 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haha if only it was that easy :P
    Your PC will most likely freeze on the windows logo and crash in the background (as I've experienced all too often when toying with multipliers ) or simply BSOD after startup. Worse, your mobo may spit some crazy auto vcore like 1.5v (or even higher) to just to get that overclock functional.
    Yeah, I can't even get into the BIOS now, it won't boot at all. Now I don't know what to do to fix it

Yeah, I can't even get into the BIOS now, it won't boot at all. Now I don't know what to do to fix it
    Reset your bios. What motherboard do you have?

Gigabyte previously used straight up BIOS, so that wasn't exactly pretty. However, most other brands started using UEFI with the P67 already from what I encountered. With Z77 all brands have gone UEFI and AHCI drivers are defaulted to, which to me has sped up booting a fair bit as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm? Strange, the BIOS settings aren't applied until after the PC boots. What happens when you press the power button?

Anyway you could just hit the CMOS reset and put everything back to factory defaults. I believe MSI Z77 boards come with clearly labeled buttons in the top-right corner, push the one that says "Reset".
    (hurr durr gone are the days of the CMOS jumper or having to manually remove the battery >_<)