Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Why is Athene a supposed "WoW superstar"?

First guy to level 80 via exploit and banned for it.
    First guy to level 85 via having 20-30 people helping him grind the endless spawning nagas
    Probably first guy to level 90 via cheap method X Y or Z

Why do people consider this guy so amazing? I was watching the Vodka vs Method DS competition, and he was so annoying. He knew literally NOTHING about the DS bosses and very little knowledge on all class abilities in general, always interrupting Kina when he was actually explaining something important.

Someone please just explain it to me...

it's called infamy

I really do not get it either. I came to come across him when he was the 1st to lvl up to 85, but... I really do not understand why he is positively famous.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cute, Do you know why hes so popular? Because at times hes funny and the reactions of people like you that get a reaction over it

Hes not amazing
    Hes average AT the very most
    He is funny at times well to me mind you.

He says hes the best player in the world / Paladin in the world because It's a slogan It's how it works in reality no hes not the best, It's just the way how his entertainment works.

In short Athene is just entertainment and nothing more. I like the guy and I've been a fan of him for awhile and it really is funny seeing people mad / Reactions to his videos. I mean really he doesn't even really act like all egoistic like that normally; He just does it to make people laugh

That's it
    Last edited by Resentful; 2012-05-06 at 04:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He got rank one gladiator once, but its more so a front he puts on. He is acting the whole time when he acts cocky. Athene is just a role for him to play. He is actually just a calm normal guy, who like to troll on youtube and livestreams in a second personality that viewers generally find amusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it's because some of his videos are awesome. Such as "Best paladin in the world". Also, because Athene wins.
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

Deleted
    At least he is funnier than other WoW ''celebrities''. Like Crendor and Jesse...
    Crendor is a robot and Jesse won't stop talking about the stupidest things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desdonde View Post
    First guy to level 85 via having 20-30 people helping him grind the endless spawning nagas
    Probably first guy to level 90 via cheap method X Y or Z

Why do people consider this guy so amazing? I was watching the Vodka vs Method DS competition, and he was so annoying. He knew literally NOTHING about the DS bosses and very little knowledge on all class abilities in general, always interrupting Kina when he was actually explaining something important.

Bad publicity is publicity and he's an "E-actor" (an online actor/celebrity). Is there such thing?

Deleted
    I was also quite annoyed at him during the Vodka vs Method stream. Likes the sound of his own voice way too much when you take into consideration how little he knew of classes/bossfights. Several times I facepalmed at things he said/asked. He didn't know there were 3 BR / combat in 25M for one.

Regardless of how he got those world firsts, he's a name in WoW. That means that fanboys will adore him and the same fanboys are blind to criticism.

In short, think of the WoW playerbase, add a guys who's name has been flying around quite a bit during the history of WoW. Result = this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he gets people who don't get the joke riled up.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

I was also quite annoyed at him during the Vodka vs Method stream. Likes the sound of his own voice way too much when you take into consideration how little he knew of classes/bossfights. Several times I facepalmed at things he said/asked. He didn't know there were 3 BR / combat in 25M for one.

Regardless of how he got those world firsts, he's a name in WoW. That means that fanboys will adore him and the same fanboys are blind to criticism.
    Thank you, my thoughts exactly

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 04:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Because he gets people who don't get the joke riled up.
    If in the end he is just a joke, then why does he take part in serious top guild competitions and almost completely ruin them with awful commentaries? Stick to the youtube videos then...

Deleted
    It wasn't an exploit. Check his video showing the whole process - he conferred with GMs (on record) before doing what he did, and they assured him it was perfectly 'legal' and was considered 'clever use of game mechanics' and wouldn't be banned. Then when they saw how fast he was levelling, they changed their mind.

Nothing wrong with that IMO.

The main reason is his charisma and humour, which - although you don't appreciate, a lot of people do, including myself. I think he's funny as hell.

Also, if you want to talk about skill, consider that he was in the rank 1 arena team on Cyclone in all three brackets during season 2. He was also the #1 Starcraft 2 player in Europe for a period of time. He's also made several hundred thousand dollars in a year playing online poker. He also came back to WoW and got rank 1 again - yes, with people from Vodka but still... you can't get boosted to rank 1. Doesn't matter how much you want to say he's not that great, he actually is.

He's been a r1 glad before. He's just a huge troll.

Deleted

If in the end he is just a joke, then why does he take part in serious top guild competitions and almost completely ruin them with awful commentaries? Stick to the youtube videos then...
    Apparently whoever is throwing together those streams isn't getting the joke either.

Deleted
    Because people like you keep bringing him up and spread his name...people should really learn how the world works...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuboid View Post
    Nothing wrong with that IMO.
    I completely agree there's nothing wrong with that, not in the slightest; however, it shouldn't boost him to super-star status as it takes little to no skill to do so. Which is the OPs point, I would believe.

Deleted
    Talking about the level 80 exploit, I find it funny how many people that claim this ban was legitimate, still label other exploits as clever use of game mechanics, and this almost definitely was clever use of mechanics. Double standards are fun...

Other than that athene is a decent wow player at best, but his trolling skills are infinite. What still irritates me is how even today many people don't get that the athene character is just a satire to gamers that take games way too seriously, like the OP for example. The person behind athene is different.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Athene wasn't the first 80. Firstly, it was our GM, Darus that was boosted, and he only reached 79 before they were banned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignominious View Post
    I completely agree there's nothing wrong with that, not in the slightest; however, it shouldn't boost him to super-star status as it takes little to no skill to do so. Which is the OPs point, I would believe.
    True enough. But that aside, he has some impressive in-game accomplishments in both WoW and SC2, which I imagine the OP isn't aware of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's ironic and it's funny when people don't get that.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain