Poll: Rate the BM concept

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The concept of a cloth tank sounds like a ton of fun, but from it having "Magi" in the name (almost same as Mage) is definitely a turnoff when making a new class, you really don't want any classes to be very close to each other because it just seems uncreative. Also the specs and abilities kind of mash up with other classes Lore and such. The spec names are kind of meh also.

The concept is a great idea and i applaud you for the amazing work you did putting this together, but tbh it's never even going to be considered by blizzard or any mmo publisher.

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by windfish View Post
    The concept of a cloth tank sounds like a ton of fun, but from it having "Magi" in the name (almost same as Mage) is definitely a turnoff when making a new class, you really don't want any classes to be very close to each other because it just seems uncreative. Also the specs and abilities kind of mash up with other classes Lore and such. The spec names are kind of meh also.

The concept is a great idea and i applaud you for the amazing work you did putting this together, but tbh it's never even going to be considered by blizzard or any mmo publisher.
    I'm very glad you took some time off and read my concept, and evon more critic it =). All critics are welcomed, since I am trying to please as many fans as I can. Now, I can't honestly see a problem with having a hero class named Battle Magi or Battlemage for that matter, since its the actual name Blizzard intended for it. In fact, Battlemages are like mages, but with improved melee abilities. I was actually going to give this concept the skill to use intellect plate, since it would counter well the paladin effect in game, but some of the replys I got actually prefered a cloth tank. Maybe someday a tinker class may resolve this issue, for now I am sticking with cloth. As for the specs, well, the BT is intended to be a representative of the famous blood mages, since it manipulates blood and fire alike. The GW is supposed to be a shadow mage, not a warlock nor a priest, but a combo between arcane and shadow bursts of power. The SW is as it very obvious intended to be kinda of a shamanistic type of geomancer, If u catch my drift lol, using earth powers for main effects mixed with some frost magic for cc abilities.
    I also chose to give some egyptian references to the SW, to kinda follow the trend of the monk class but I am going to polish that in the future to become more alike with WOW own egyptian lore =). The BT is a mix of the Vampyre faction and again some egyptianism lol, and the GW is more tuned to the northern tribes, something like the Vrykul with a touch of GOT ^^. The gameplay, however, is what I believe counts for the most, and I think it differs a lot from the mage, really does... The spec names I am not so pro since I'm not an english native speaker, I find it somewhat of an ordeil to come up with cool names =S. One last thing, whyis this concept to mashed up with other ones? Plz any example would greatly help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like a Kiting-based tank could wreak havoc on melee dps, having to constantly chase their target. I love the idea (that was you who came up with the Dragonsworn class too? I liked that one) I have been wanting to see a Battle Mage spec come into play, and Ethereals would be perfect for it. I do really like the ideas of Liquid, Gas and Solid stances, and the charges. Keep up the good work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    I feel like a Kiting-based tank could wreak havoc on melee dps, having to constantly chase their target. I love the idea (that was you who came up with the Dragonsworn class too? I liked that one) I have been wanting to see a Battle Mage spec come into play, and Ethereals would be perfect for it. I do really like the ideas of Liquid, Gas and Solid stances, and the charges. Keep up the good work.
    Another point for the lovers, not the haters! TY m8, I will keep on developing this concept as better as I can!

You seem to have put a lot of thought into this, but I feel it is just a DK. Instead of being a cross between a warrior and a warlock its a mage and a warrior, just seems more of the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    You seem to have put a lot of thought into this, but I feel it is just a DK. Instead of being a cross between a warrior and a warlock its a mage and a warrior, just seems more of the same.
    It's surely not my intention nor it fits the lore, for it to have any thing to do with either a warrior or a warlock, so I feel rather confused about what you would like it to be. I got to say I am really confused really lol, could you plz tell me what is it u don't like?

I would definitely give this a go were it going to be implemented. Some very nice ideas you have there. Sometimes it feels like ordinary people have the best ideas but sadly will never be heard by the developers. Would be an awesome class though in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by greendog View Post
    i would definitely give this a go were it going to be implemented. Some very nice ideas you have there. Sometimes it feels like ordinary people have the best ideas but sadly will never be heard by the developers. Would be an awesome class though in my opinion.

ty so much! 1 of these days...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Battle mage would be neat as a *spec* for the existing mage class but it would be hard to make it much different from an Enhancement Shaman or even a Frost Death Knight without it being ridiculous. Use absorbs to mitigate damage, weapon damage dealt as arcane/fire/frost damage, the ability to call upon magics to increase combat potency, etc. Then again with all the redundancy and a class with 4 spec's already a little *flavour* wouldn't hurt. A whole class itself, no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnassian View Post
    Battle mage would be neat as a *spec* for the existing mage class but it would be hard to make it much different from an Enhancement Shaman or even a Frost Death Knight without it being ridiculous. Use absorbs to mitigate damage, weapon damage dealt as arcane/fire/frost damage, the ability to call upon magics to increase combat potency, etc. Then again with all the redundancy and a class with 4 spec's already a little *flavour* wouldn't hurt. A whole class itself, no.
    I already took care of that. There is some truth in what u said, that a battle mage spec would be too similar to an enhancement shaman or a frost dk. However, this concept focuses on channeled abilities, mid range combat and cloth armor, with a sweet combo of melee and casting moves. It is also an energy based class, even though its a caster

GW2 ele says hi

I love spellsword type characters, always made one in games like elder scrolls

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GW2 is the future View Post
    GW2 ele says hi

I love spellsword type characters, always made one in games like elder scrolls
    lol are u referring to the elementalist? I just guessed because I never played GW1 let alone 2, so I wouldn't know what's too much alike with my battlemage =S. About the spellsword, maybe it's not a bad thing to have some similarities with the battlemage, eh?

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 12:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
    Mentally, I could see a magic wielding tank happening. From the perspective of the mobs we fight, their casters are tanks as I always go for the casters first (they have my attention). My issue is with gameplay. A fight tuned for me, a warrior tank, will carry punishing physical damage. My armor mitigates this damage so it can be survived. I cannot picture a mage in cloth armor mitigating the damage needed for effective taking. If you are tanking from range (kiting), you have a serious disadvantage due to the 110% melee rule and 130% ranged rule. Sure, we can say this battlemage gets some incredible absorb shield or other form of mitigation to survive, but I have a hard time accepting this. It is hard enough to accept that shapeshifting creates huge armor, let alone cloth. 98% of the time (or some similar high number), tanking is an in your face adventure. Gimmick fights have been designed otherwise, but they are rare and limited. I have no doubt tuning the threat would not be an issue, I just have my serious doubts about selling mitigation to other players, myself included.
    So my proposition is this. I have tuned the tank spec so that it will gain a similar benefit of what the Glyph of Demon hunting would grant to the warlocks. In practice it means the SW will gain an active mitigation to help in heavy fights =). Furthermore, there are a lot more other abilities that help the tank in situations were the kitting isn't enough or unefficient, and these abilities generally create or evoke magic shielding effects and absorb shields, which will then increase as the intellect of the battlemage increases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    You really put some thought into this. Good job!

I think it sounds like a lot of fun.
    TY m8, however u should now check the invoker class since the Battlemage has been redone into it. Frankenstein style lol. This goes for everyone else interested actually =P

Quote Originally Posted by Crestt View Post
    I am with darth on this, I would love the concept of a cloth wearer tanking; I myself have personally wished there was a geomancer class that used earth to tank with
    My friend has tanked HoTs on his 85 Lock - I queue as tank, DK, and dps as unholy and he tanks lol - why reinvent the wheel^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    My friend has tanked HoTs on his 85 Lock - I queue as tank, DK, and dps as unholy and he tanks lol - why reinvent the wheel^^
    Is he using glyph of demon hunter? And is he able to finish an entire high lvl raid or dungeon with his lock? Even so, that can hardly be considered a cloth tank, at least not in its full potential...

I can't imagine blizzard putting in yet another all-melee class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I can't imagine blizzard putting in yet another all-melee class.
    But this actually isn't an all melee class. My idea of the battlemage in terms of gameplay would be similar to a DK, with ranged spells but being mainly a melee class. Obviously, in the case of the battlemage, instead of shadow spells he would use magic and instead of plate armor, cloth. The differences are gonna go much deeper than that after I finish the ability tables so w8 n see =)
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-09-30 at 01:00 AM.

Deleted

Abilities are here!

Hey there guys n girls! Plz do me a favor and feast urselves on these abilities =P
    I am only missing the mastery skills, but I am first going to finish one last thing on my tinker concept before coming back to this one. In the meanwhile... comment, suggest or just vote people! Any critic is appreciated =)

TY AND CYA LATER!

---------- Post added 2012-10-11 at 03:26 PM ----------

Ps: Dont forget to check out my other classes(but u should know that I have only added battle rotations to this and the Tinker class)
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-10-11 at 03:05 PM.

Deleted
    Looks Fun, why? To combat the lifeless trolls here who are negative at all times. plus it's just a good idea.

The idea is very appealing, I've always wanted a battle mage, however I'd prefer if the mechanics were a bit more... unique.