Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    To add to the above, be coinfident about yourself but DON'T play Superman. When someone comes in and tells me "oh yea we had reviews at my last work, they told me I was awesome and just keep doing what I'm doing" it appears disingenuous and makes you look like someone that can't identify your problems.

I'll be honest every time i have gotten a job i have found a reason to bag on myself a little. The smallest thing you can find last interview i had the guy said "We have to know how to use both positive and negative reinforcement to reward and punish behaviors" and I replied "Completely agree. I have been in companies that use one or the other and it doesn't work, I've been on the end of nothing but negative reinforcement before and it just makes you want to quit rather than improve if there is no attainable goal" It makes you look human and the guy actually thanked me for it and said I'm the first person he's interviewed in the last 3 months that seamed to be human and recognized that i have flaws too.

Best part? It netted me a better job than the one before.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like your illness is preventing you from being marketable. It's not to be unexpected, but it looks like the main issue can be resolved.
    Seek treatment so you can get a license; you yourself have said people have sought you out only to turn you down when it came out that you don't have a driver's license. I know it's easy to say "just get over it", but if you seek treatment for these issues, you might be able to.

As others have said, when you're volunteering that you have autism, make sure you indicate how it would affect your performance - it's important to demonstrate this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am studying to become an accountant, after the i get my Bach I will continue to a CA or CMA...is that good?

Familiarize yourself with stackoverflow.com
    It is a great technical site, and you can get job-advice there as well. So you can keep yourself updated technically, and get some good direction about career (please don't' take the Starbucks suggestion someone gave above me - I don't want more people serving bugs in smoothies.

I would advise you to avoid mentioning Autism at all. There's no point to employers knowing it before calling you for interview, I'm pretty sure you're protected from being discriminated on those basis once you're at the interview.
    If your autism isn't obvious, I'd suggest you completely avoid exposing yourself until you're hired and past the evaluation timeline. (Unless it interferes with your job duties - like you mentioned driving for example)

Even for driving, if they push on the issue, it's none of their business why you don't drive. Your explanation of autism is perfectly valid, but if it's not necessary for the job, and they just ask 'Bob, why did you take a taxi here, why didn't you drive?', you can always say that you figure you'd first find a job, than worry about buying a car. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I wouldn't reveal autism unless there's no way around it - like it's super obvious.

Good luck to you, and don't give up. Heck it took me 3 months with a car, in a good economy (1999) without autism (or anything else) to find a job, so you're doing fine for today's job market.

Deleted
    Now Im in sweden so its a bit different, but its the same story here... study all you want, there still aint no jobs to go around unless you're lucky and catch a break with some company willing to give you a chance, Im going to be doing alot of free stuff ... just for the merits, because thats the only damn way Im ever gonna get a paid job with todays situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    That's pretty much how things are around for young people who just finished university. Most finish and are sent straight to unemployment.

I finished my 3 year Archaeology degree in June 2010 and completed a 1 year post grad in maritime archaeology in october 2011. What do i have that one may consider as "professional experience"? During the post grad i participated in 2 excavations of the course of something little over than 2 weeks.

In October 2011 i embarked on a european program called "Eurodysee" (you being Belgium) should definitely check that out, since there were around 2 or 3 guys from Belgium. That was 5 months of an overall average quality job, but in the end it's something to put in the curriculum.

Now im back at my country (Portugal) simply looking for a crappy job (think supermarket, malls, big commercial facilities) just so i can put some money in the house, but even that is hard to get.
    You got a freaking degree in Archaeology, what did you expect? I'm sure I can learn all about archaeology in kids books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Its all about luck, connections, and being in the right place at the right time
    Couldn't be anymore true, especially connections. A good example of this is my dad who is currently an Electrician (he's 51 now but this was when he was about 40ish), there was a position that opened up as Environmental Manager or something similar to that, my dad worked his arse off (with the help of my grandad) to get the qualification needed to be realistically considered for this job through the Open University course since he could do it at home. When he finished his work he was rewarded with the qualification and now met the requirements for the job. You know what happened when he went for the job? it was given to the person's relative who was conducting the interviews and deciding who eventually got the job. You might say oh well that's understanbable in some ways because they know that person well and he might be a good worker, but the biggest part of the story is that the said person wasn't even qualified for the job, but he got it anyway just because he was a relative to the interview conductor. Same with MPs in parliament, the shit they pull is unreal and they should be prosecuted big time for it.

Unfortunately, life is like that and you have to deal with it. Personally I'm only 19 so you might say what the hell does this young inexperienced idiot know about anything, but I have my grandad which I'm very close to tell me about these things all the time and he's been there and seen it all. He's also helping me hugely in looking for a job since I've been unemployed for about 10 months now (left school last year) and it really highlights to a person like him how much the economy has changed and how much shit we are really in when it comes to youth employment and creating jobs.

It's also good to add that employers (in nearly all cases) will value actual hands on experience more than qualifications since qualifications themselves don't necessarily mean you can do the job, they're obviously an advantage since it shows you're very capable of learning well and applying your knowledge but it's not as valuable as actual experience (I say in nearly all cases because in regards to the OP, I'd say that's a different situation). I say this because I read in the paper a while ago a manager who was recruiting about 20 staff for a store in Chester which is a city near me, she said that she would take experience over qualifications any day in her field of work and many people wrote in agreeing. That was actually the first of quite a few articles explaining the same thing that I read in a few papers and one of the reasons I think it's not worth going to University for.

Some of this is relevant to the OP, but some of it is my general view of things.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 01:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    You got a freaking degree in Archaeology, what did you expect? I'm sure I can learn all about archaeology in kids books.
    I severely doubt that, you underestimate big time how hard it is to get on to an Archaeology University course. You need very good grades.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Couldn't be anymore true, especially connections. A good example of this is my dad who is currently an Electrician (he's 51 now but this was when he was about 40ish), there was a position that opened up as Environmental Manager or something similar to that, my dad worked his arse off (with the help of my grandad) to get the qualification needed to be realistically considered for this job through the Open University course since he could do it at home. When he finished his work he was rewarded with the qualification and now met the requirements for the job. You know what happened when he went for the job? it was given to the person's relative who was conducting the interviews and deciding who eventually got the job. You might say oh well that's understanbable in some ways because they know that person well and he might be a good worker, but the biggest part of the story is that the said person wasn't even qualified for the job, but he got it anyway just because he was a relative to the interview conductor. Same with MPs in parliament, the shit they pull is unreal and they should be prosecuted big time for it.

Unfortunately, life is like that and you have to deal with it. Personally I'm only 19 so you might say what the hell does this young inexperienced idiot know about anything, but I have my grandad which I'm very close to tell me about these things all the time and he's been there and seen it all. He's also helping me hugely in looking for a job since I've been unemployed for about 10 months now (left school last year) and it really highlights to a person like him how much the economy has changed and how much shit we are really in when it comes to youth employment and creating jobs.

It's also good to add that employers (in nearly all cases) will value actual hands on experience more than qualifications since qualifications themselves don't necessarily mean you can do the job, they're obviously an advantage since it shows you're very capable of learning well and applying your knowledge but it's not as valuable as actual experience (I say in nearly all cases because in regards to the OP, I'd say that's a different situation). I say this because I read in the paper a while ago a manager who was recruiting about 20 staff for a store in Chester which is a city near me, she said that she would take experience over qualifications any day in her field of work and many people wrote in agreeing. That was actually the first of quite a few articles explaining the same thing that I read in a few papers and one of the reasons I think it's not worth going to University for.

Some of this is relevant to the OP, but some of it is my general view of things.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 01:37 AM ----------

I severely doubt that, you underestimate big time how hard it is to get on to an Archaeology University course. You need very good grades.
    Way to miss the big picture buddy. You wonder why you can't get good jobs, but you never take the time to think what use ANY company could have for a archaeology degree. Think for a second, your a boss, now try and convince yourself how a person with a archaeology degree who expects good pay is going to make you money..

Unless you enjoy working at museums that really all your going to get. I hope you aren't looking to buy any fancy cars, houses, and luxuries in your life because it's not happening working at a museum.

It's also interesting because I recently read an article where one of the koch billionaires just donated to a government funded museum because the museum hadn't added anything new in 30 years. Makes you wonder why.
    Last edited by Snakeseye0; 2012-05-09 at 12:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    I am studying to become an accountant, after the i get my Bach I will continue to a CA or CMA...is that good?
    Not sure where you are from, but I assume you mean the equivalent of a CPA from here in the States. That is a great thing to get since you will always have it, but as a recent Accounting graduate I am going to tell you to find experience NOW while you are in school. I'm not sure what requirements it needs in your area, but for a CPA in Michigan I need 1-2 years (I forget which) or employment experience underneath an already accredited CPA and I simply can not find it. I graduated May 2011 and have applied for every single accounting position that had opened within 50 miles of me (which is literally like 30 jobs total) using Accountemps, my college's database of employers, etc. I have had a handful of interviews that I didn't get thanks to lack of experience. The problem is every single employer wants you to have 3-5 years of experience in the field. Right now, there is almost no such thing as an entry level job in a career field. There is such an over abundance of college graduates in tons of fields (probably because every single publication says go into Accounting, Business, Computers, etc. because there are "TONS" of jobs, which is largely false) plus the massive amount of unemployed folks that employers can be ridiculously picky about who the hire. You don't have to pay wages based on experience like you do in boom times because employers aren't competing for employees, employees are competing to put food on the table.

Good luck in your search OP. I've been searching for a qualified position for nearly a full year now with no luck. Thankfully I already had a job that is similar enough that I can kind of keep up to snuff on what I will be doing when I finally find a career position and not a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeseye0 View Post
    Way to miss the big picture buddy. You wonder why you can't get good jobs, but you never take the time to think what use ANY company could have for a archaeology degree. Think for a second, your a boss, now try and convince yourself how a person with a archaeology degree who expects good pay is going to make you money..

Unless you enjoy working at museums that really all your going to get. I hope you aren't looking to buy any fancy cars, houses, and luxuries in your life because it's not happening working at a museum.

It's also interesting because I recently read an article where one of the koch billionaires just donated to a government funded museum because the museum hadn't added anything new in 30 years. Makes you wonder why.
    You seem to misunderstand that it doesn't matter what degree you have, the fact is you have a degree. Most people who have degrees don't get a job that relates to what degree they received. Sure some do, but the majority don't. What matters is that you have a degree, that shows you can learn, apply your knowledge, and work under pressure. It does depend on who you apply to though, since if you find a company or employer that is very up to date with degrees and knows what you have to achieve to complete them, then you're in luck. If you don't understand what I'm getting at, I mean someone who knows the difference in work that's involved in an Archaeology degree (for example) and a Media Studies degree, if you get someone who knows the difference, then your Archaeology degree is then worth more, if they don't then both degrees would equate to the same thing (unless you applied to a job that directly required a said degree).

You could have talked to your teacher(s) about getting an internship after you graduated or at least gotten him to offer some advice or maybe even help you get in contact with some employers. My college professor was all about helping his students find jobs after they graduated and on multiple occasions had some people come to the class room and talk about available jobs after school and some had programs where they would hire students while still in school and work with them until they got out of school, which not only gave experience in the working world, but students had a better opportunity to get a job right when they graduated. Most of these jobs started at 50k+ a year (in Iowa), and that's pretty good when you're 21/22 and just getting out of school.

Of course after all this, you will get the experience needed and can then eventually apply to some place you really want to work at and you'd have a better chance of getting the job over someone else that just got out of school or someone with less experience, just because you put in some extra time while still in school.

Your teacher may have not had anything like that going on, but I'm sure he/she would have still had some advice or connections to get you started. You might still be able to reach out to said teacher and maybe they will have something for you.

Deleted
    Your degree sounds so vague as to be nothing more than a show piece for employers.

It's not a professional qualification, e.g. teaching degree, lawyer, doctor (a.k.a. the trinity).

I have found a job since graduation. But i am not happy at all. It is low pay and not i wanna do. It is difficult to find a better job since the economy is so bad.
    Life is just not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Good luck. Remember, you're competing for these jobs with out-of-work people that have YEARS of real-life experience compared to none for you.

Hopefully after November, that disaster in the White House will be gone and we can finally see some companies really start hiring again.

Oh, you want to really up the chances of getting hired, be willing to move. That kills most people.
    You mean the disaster that have already brought public sector jobs back and have 26 straight months of private sector job growth. Yeah i will make sure we stop that and go back to the 800k jobs losts during the Bush years. The hole we dug ourself by getting Bush and his criminals run the show for a decade is deep folks but have patience it will get better, the solution isnt to send in Willard with the backhoe and wreck it again.

The last we need is more massive taxcuts for the billionaires while raising taxes on the poor. We have tried the tax cut ourself to prosperity in America for decades and it havnt worked it doesnt trickle down as can be seen in the jobs and the income gains by the working poor.

I'm still in college and I have already worked several jobs/internships. It can be hard, but if you are just submitting an application and waiting for an answer, you don't deserve a job. You need to get in the employer's face, email constantly to show your interest, and make yourself stand out from the competition. Also, don't pick stupid majors like Middle-Eastern Gender Studies and the such. You should have examined the job market before you declared a major.

A) Get a vocational degree/qualification (I've applied for University this year for example to study politics, but i'm already reconsidering given how unpragmatic such a degree is, and might instead apply for a teaching degree next year.)

B) Get a damn good grasp of the English language in your writing/speaking (Calm/composed body language means nothing if you're writing like a chav/dumbass or are stuttering on every word.)

C) Get/Feign Confidence (I am really, really not a people person, and to be frank I can't stand them, but my current job involves interviewing members of the public here in Northern Ireland for a govt. agency, which is in itself a demanding affair when you sometimes have to convince them to take part in the govt. survey. The job itself had 10 vacancies, and over 600 applicants; Confidence is everything, whether you fake it or not.)

D) Look professional (If you have some dumbass tattoo on your face, a half-shaven head or hipster gauges/piercings and so on, then I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a job ain't one. Seriously though, proper businesses want presentable, hard-working adults; not scruffy teenagers in a perpetual, messy hangover. )

E) Be professional (Organise yourself, plan for all contingencies; if they throw you a curveball in the interview, be ready for it and be on the ball.)

F) Get/Have experience (However obscure it might be, present it as something to your advantage; I used to comment on the Belfast Telegraph's online Have Your Say section and had a few of my comments published in their actual newspaper in the past, that's something I have in my CV. I studied Politics in school and used that to my advantage, saying that it enlightened me as to the nature of conflict/conflict resolution throughout life in general; be it in debate or in the workplace. That worked out well too.)

G) Be prepared to lower your standards. Jobs in general are not handed out on silver platters these days, never mind good ones, take what you can get.

H) Learn to be independent; having mom and dad there to look after you can inspire laziness in many 18-20ish year olds, myself formerly included. That's why I used my savings, moved out and got a place; with bills to pay, I certainly had an immense boost in my motivation to get a job and survive in the real world.

I could go on for ages, but the main point is this; would you employ you? If not, ask yourself why you wouldn't, and then conclude what you would change so that you would, and then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale-warfare View Post
    I'm still in college and I have already worked several jobs/internships. It can be hard, but if you are just submitting an application and waiting for an answer, you don't deserve a job. You need to get in the employer's face, email constantly to show your interest, and make yourself stand out from the competition. Also, don't pick stupid majors like Middle-Eastern Gender Studies and the such. You should have examined the job market before you declared a major.
    I wouldnt say it this harsh...but yea....you need to follow up with every application that you send, and always ask why if you dont get a positive response.

This isnt crucial, but after an interview send them a thank you card.