Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resinderate View Post
    On another overclocking question o/

Just 2 things I don't understand weather I should using or not atm with this ASRock board when OC'ing this 2500k

Internal PLL overvoltage - Have this turned off, but have read some guides saying I can tweak the setting (suggesting it should be on?) for some higher overclocks. No idea what it actually does.

CPU Load Line Calibration - Have this on Level 2 atm, which I take it is the 2nd highest setting (from 1-5). I understood it as the amount the voltage can vary, #1 meaning 'varying the least', but I really have no idea if this is correct.

Looking to do a prime95 run tonight with it on 4.9GHz @ 1.425v and don't know weather these 2 are making a bigger impact than just increasing the vCore until it's stable.

Cheers
    I found that my system was not completely stable at 4.8GHz until enabling Internal PLL Overvoltage. I would leave my PC on overnight and come back to it hard-locked after a long idle period.

As for LLC, I'm not familiar with ASRock's scale, but I'm going to assume that LLC level 1 is equivalent to "Extreme" on Asus boards and should only be used for >5GHz. On Asus boards the highest level equates to overvoltage under load while the second highest "Ultra High" is very close to having no voltage droop at all under load.

For 4.9GHz I would use LLC level 2 for sure, but whether you need Internal PLL Overvoltage on is up to your chip.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 08:09 PM ----------

Cherry Reds are already fairly quiet for mechanical key switches so I never really noticed them. I'm already sensitive to noise, so I just try my best to zone out domed switches and mechanical alike.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    I found that my system was not completely stable at 4.8GHz until enabling Internal PLL Overvoltage. I would leave my PC on overnight and come back to it hard-locked after a long idle period.

As for LLC, I'm not familiar with ASRock's scale, but I'm going to assume that LLC level 1 is equivalent to "Extreme" on Asus boards and should only be used for >5GHz. On Asus boards the highest level equates to overvoltage under load while the second highest "Ultra High" is very close to having no voltage droop at all under load.

For 4.9GHz I would use LLC level 2 for sure, but whether you need Internal PLL Overvoltage on is up to your chip.
    Okie doke sounds good!

If by hard locked you mean that it just actually froze, then that's what happened to mine too the last run I made at least with prime :P

So yeah I guess I'll turn it on with these settings and see what happens. Might even try booting 5GHz with it on and see how it does, haven't even been able to get past 'Starting Windows' on 5GHz so far, even with like 1.475v or something (Can't remember where I stopped ^^)

Thanks

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cherry Reds are already fairly quiet for mechanical key switches so I never really noticed them. I'm already sensitive to noise, so I just try my best to zone out domed switches and mechanical alike.
    I think it's the way the Corsair keyboards are built, but I'd say they are fairly loud. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resinderate View Post
    Okie doke sounds good!

If by hard locked you mean that it just actually froze, then that's what happened to mine too the last run I made at least with prime :P

So yeah I guess I'll turn it on with these settings and see what happens. Might even try booting 5GHz with it on and see how it does, haven't even been able to get past 'Starting Windows' on 5GHz so far, even with like 1.475v or something (Can't remember where I stopped ^^)

Thanks
    Well my 2600K booted into Windows just fine with much less voltage than that at 5GHz. 1.475V well past the sane limit for a 24/7 OC and even piquing your curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I think it's the way the Corsair keyboards are built, but I'd say they are fairly loud. :P
    I'm sure the aluminium backplate contributes a lot to the noise. I like it though, at any rate it is loads better than my old rubber dome keyboard that was dying and didn't register keystrokes 2 times out of ten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm sure the aluminium backplate contributes a lot to the noise. I like it though, at any rate it is loads better than my old rubber dome keyboard that was dying and didn't register keystrokes 2 times out of ten.
    So I'm guessing, since I realized the key itself does not go down and smack the aluminum, that the noise has to be from the actual little mechanism inside going down and smacking the aluminum, right?
    "A flower.

I guess so, although I haven't dared take it apart to find out (most of the time if I dismantle something, it stays dismantled).

Deleted
    Well my 2600K booted into Windows just fine with much less voltage than that at 5GHz. 1.475V well past the sane limit for a 24/7 OC and even piquing your curiosity.
    Yeah was more just a case of seeing weather it was just the voltage that was holding it back from the boot.

With Internal PLL overvoltage I just got an hour out of prime95 before a BSOD @ 5GHz with 1.46v so I guess turning it on really is working well for this chip, compared to not even booting without it. Might see what it takes to get it properly stable @ 5GHz someday but for now as you said, at voltages that high it's just not worth it ^^

Time to move on to see how low I can get the voltage on a 4.9GHz I think before I clock it down to 4.6 or something for good =]

Cheers for the help kidsafe o/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I guess so, although I haven't dared take it apart to find out (most of the time if I dismantle something, it stays dismantled).
    lol man. All I did was take off the forward/up arrow key and saw the switch, clicked it a few times, then put it back on. In fact I'm going to do it again now and see how much noise it produces.

Okay, I just did it, the noise is definitely less, thus I'm concluding a lot of the noise is actually from the key's top inner section coming down and hitting the whole part of the switch and around the switch, not the body of the keyboard however, because the key pieces do not even go down that far.
    "A flower.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After about 2 weeks of deciding which computer case I wanted I went ahead and picked up the Bitfenix Shinobi XL http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/pr...sis/shinobi-xl . I'm pretty stoked now and can't wait to get it in. I guess if I had unlimited amount of money the only other case that I would have went for would have been a Silverstone FT02 or maybe a coolermaster cosmos2 but more then likely the FT02.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heartily want the FT02B-W.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah if it was a bit cheaper I probably would have gotten it but the Shinobi XL is almost 100$ cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI Tiger Direct/CompUSA has the FT02B-W for only like $220. ^_^
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI Tiger Direct/CompUSA has the FT02B-W for only like $220. ^_^
    That's not to bad a price but still about 80 bucks more expensive lol. If I was spending 2k on this build I'm doing I would have went with the Benz there but instead I will have to settle for the Lexus.

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 07:43 PM ----------

Hey Deltrus do you think I need to buy a bottom fan for that case I'm getting or do you think the airflow would be fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly am not the most learned in Shinobi cases, but more fans is for me.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    * Marest flexes his awesome FT02 case with no room for cable management.

I picked up the FT02B-W for around $190 (1899 SEK). Not too bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    We'll see what the future holds... I do have the upgrade itch though, I assure you.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Will you do like me and upgrade to a core2duo? It is lightning fast. I recommend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I'm very disappointed and bored of this lame 4.4GHz 2500K. I have a Pentium III 667MHz CPU lying here on my desk, perhaps I should see if it still works!
    "A flower.

Deleted
    i didn't think this was worth it's own thread so i'll ask here,
    what is a reference card? like what does it mean when a 680 is reference instead of normal?