Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadanon View Post
    Considering they had to give out free lvl 80s and free Cataclysm in beginning of March to get them llevel in subs...

I wonder - What were the sub numbers in end of Feb? We all knew they were desperate when they launched SR but now it looks even worse.

They only just broke even when they offered "free" Diablo 3, guarantied beta access, free Cataclysm expansion, free lvl 80 character, Free 7 days, free character transfer... And thats how bad things are atm.
    Since when is 10.2m subscribers a bad thing? Blizzard is dominating the MMO market by a very large margin. Their closest competitor has what, 1/5th of their total numbers? Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

I was under impression that this kind of numbers were to be expected? Many people seem to be putting up party for it. Well, do whatever you want.

This is in a long while first time wow subs have not been going down. In my eyes next one is quite predictable too since that will show MoP release subscriptions most likely. People will come to test the game at least. So probably next time there is some interesting is the numbers after that.

Maybe you can call me hater, but I don't exactly wander around with posters "OMFG LOL! PLZ! WOW IS DIEING!!! WAI U STILL PLAYZ! LOL!". If you are still interested in it then it is so. Why should I care. I personally quit at december and havent had any feeling to come back...at least not until MoP. I'll likely want to at least try it out, but it doesn't say anything other than that.

In my opinion for 0ldschool gamers like me the current mmo are quite bad. There are no mmo that I could be bothered to play. For new generation gamers this kind of games probably fit quite well.

What annoys me the most is that people treat these numbers as some sort of battle and whoever is "winning" seems to feel like they have the right to mock the other side. It makes me feel nauseated. To me these numbers are stuff that predicts the future. Companies like blizz sees that "this seems to work" so they make more of it. I'd rather play wow with my friends that still play it, but I just can't bothered to pay for something I don't like. If blizz keeps following what apears succesfull (like they probably do), it means there will be less and less games that I can be bothered to play.

That is all. I just hope for better future (for stuff that I'm interested in) !

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    I knew of the free upgrade to cata for people that decided to take up the SOR offer, however I did not seriously think that amounted to 'throwing a free expansion' at people.

Serious question here for you, out of the 10.2 million, how many do you believe are from this?

The majority of this 10.2 million paid for their expansion, again this does not equate to 'throwing free expansions at people'.
    I think at least 1 million ppl desided to pay for 1 month when the SOR was offered. But thats just my opinion. Maybe there were more.
    That does not mean that 1 million of these ppl did not already pay for Cataclysm. But considering that every player that ever played WOW got both WOTLK and Cata free there... then I think quite a few ppl took the bait.

Pesonally I thought we would see quite a rise in sub numbers this quarter considering this offer. To me it just shows how horrendous numbers BLizzard was looking at in the end of February.

The only people who care about the "haters" who claim "WoW is dead" are those who can't ignore such ignorant comments in the first place.

Most WoW players know WoW isn't dead, we know WoW isn't dying, and we know it won't be dead or dying for years to come. Anyone who says otherwise is either completely delusional or a fanboy of some other MMO that claims to be "different to WoW" and fails miserably at that goal.

Has WoW's subscribers been declining in recent years? Sure, so what? That could be any number of reason, least of all some other fantastic MMO, which there are none of. Even if nearly 1m players has left WoW for some other MMO that's still barely a decent on the entire populace of the game. It's nothing. And half of those people are likely to return after they realise the game they left for isn't any better, really.

It happened during Vanilla. It happened during Burning Crusade, and we all know it happened during Wrath. It'll happen during Mists of Pandaria, too.

I'm somewhat entertained by people who are absolutely raging at Blizzard to the point that they call people still enjoying WoW low IQ bottom dwellers. Then in the next breath say they can't wait to play Diablo 3.

Psst! It's made by the same company you're raging about!

Now .. since the fanboys have gotten their good news... Lets prepair for the 2nd and 3rd quarter numbers when Diablo 3 has launched and SOR does not save the day. Or maybe they will give free lvl 85s in June and another in September.

Cause lets be clear ... MOP is not coming any time soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Benea View Post
    I'm in beta. If they release in June as rumored, wait 3-6 months before buying it. It's in really rough shape. I'm in MoP beta and it's in better shape than GW2 at the moment.
    Im in both betas, played MoP a bit, and GW2 last weekend, got sick of the asian theme, nice and new I suppose, but I was never a fan of the pandas as a playable race, and the asian theme reminded me of kong fu panda too much, GW2 has its bumps atm, hence the beta, but overall I prefer GW2 beta over MoP anyday. So far the roughness in GW2 is to be expected of a new game in its beta phase, even so the game is incredibly polished for beta, besides some balance issues and bugs here and there, its working really well, as I said considering its in beta AND its a new game. WoW is also a released game, you can't compare a expansion beta with a new game beta. Still, GW2 > MoP for ME. It is not for everyone but for me thats how it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    how is there 10.2m subs.. if there's 10m battle net accounts? wut?

Quote Originally Posted by avatariku View Post
    Im in both betas, played MoP a bit, and GW2 last weekend, got sick of the asian theme, nice and new I suppose, but I was never a fan of the pandas as a playable race, and the asian theme reminded me of kong fu panda too much, GW2 has its bumps atm, hence the beta, but overall I prefer GW2 beta over MoP anyday. So far the roughness in GW2 is to be expected of a new game in its beta phase, even so the game is incredibly polished for beta, besides some balance issues and bugs here and there, its working really well, as I said considering its in beta AND its a new game. WoW is also a released game, you can't compare a expansion beta with a new game beta. Still, GW2 > MoP for ME. It is not for everyone but for me thats how it is.
    You misunderstand me. I liked GW2. I'm not bashing it, since you seem defensive about your choice. I could honestly care less about what other people play.

I'm just saying, if they release it in June as rumored, my advice is don't buy it until around 3 months after release.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    Could also say "SWTOR loses half its player base. WoW loses none. "

Also, who else is hyped about Free to Play Titan?
    No such thing my friend, so no reason to be hyped about it. They said F2P game and New MMORPG. Only one of those is F2P and it ain't the mmo. Obviously, they're talking about Dota.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    how is there 10.2m subs.. if there's 10m battle net accounts? wut?
    You can have more than one account to WOW per Bnet account.

Also - I dont think China has Battlenet. 10 million Battlenet accounts does not mean there are 10 million active accounts. Just 10 million accounts created.

How does "People are still playing wow" end up generating over 500 comments?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    This! wow is dead boring.
    Fixed it for you.

Good news if true. I find the game incredibly boring and stale these days but I am very happy it still has legs for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Benea View Post
    You misunderstand me. I liked GW2. I'm not bashing it, since you seem defensive about your choice. I could honestly care less about what other people play.

I'm just saying, if they release it in June as rumored, my advice is don't buy it until around 3 months after release.
    Not at all, sorry if it came across it. I have high hopes for GW2, but if it ends up flopping it will simply be another game in the shelf for me.

Im getting it off the bat, I honestly didn't see any problems in the game itself, with what was available to test, to justify putting it off. It was incredibly solid, aside from a few balance issues like I said before. It is far from the perfect game, but I enjoyed it much more than I enjoy WoW. I love the combat in that game, it might not be as actioney as tera but it isn't as dull as WoW where you stand there for most of the time and push buttons, I played a tank so I literally stood there for periods of time back before I quit WoW. Anyway I don't really care what WoW does. Right now I am focused on seeing how Anet handles GW2, I have high hopes for the finished product, and from what I read how they handled the first game, I like their design procedure. Of course just cause I quit wow and don't really care what happens to it, doesn't mean I don't keep tabs on it from time to time. It is a game I invested 6+ years on.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    No. DOTA is a starcraft expansion. the F2P is Titan. (as titan is not an MMORPG)
    You're wrong, but you'll see that one day. When you do, I hope you remember this post and whatever silly comment you make back to it. Remember it well when you understand your folly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iakhovas View Post
    I love how people ASSUME that just because there are still so many active subs that it has anything to do with DS. I haven't done DS at all and I can't find enough spare time between work, social life and everything else to get the stuff I want done before MoP launches.

More ppl don't raid or even do instances than the players that do. Get over yourselves.
    This right here. I know so many people in game that just don't raid all that much. They still have fun doing what's important in game to them. I see no issue with that at all.

Also, anyone saying that people (or themselves) got the AP just for D3 are the idiots. Again, why would anyone commit to a game that they (supposedly) don't like just to get another game for "free". Getting D3 through the AP is a horrible deal. Unless you are an active WoW player, you'd be better off just saving your $15/month and getting the super duper collectors edition of D3 when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    DOTA is not a Starcraft expansion, it is a stand alone game from Blizzard incorporating famous characters from all of Blizzard's IP's into a MOBA game. Titan we don't know what it will be, but it is ridiculous it will be anything less then P2P.
    We know Titan is gonna be an mmo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Titan

Sigh, was really hoping to see some sub drops, the annual pass makes the numbers completely slanted, but it's still unfortunate. WoW is great and all but it's choking the MMORPG market by retaining such a huge majority of the player base and leaving little to no room for anything new or innovative to get green lit, or live long enough to surpass it. I'm not one of the wow hating flammers who want to see it die, and its great that an MMORPG got so huge and expanded the market the way it did, but now I'd like to see this 7 year old game share the spot light and go down to a more modest number of subscribers. Even 6 million subs/active players, which is still more then any other major MMORPG, would be great. Not saying it's WoW or Blizzards "fault" really (though Blizzard is certainly pleased : P), it's just the way people and the market work :/

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Sigh, was really hoping to see some sub drops, the annual pass makes the numbers completely slanted, but it's still unfortunate. WoW is great and all but it's choking the MMORPG market by retaining such a huge majority of the player base and leaving little to no room for anything new or innovative to get green lit, or live long enough to surpass it. I'm not one of the wow hating flammers who want to see it die, and its great that an MMORPG got so huge and expanded the market the way it did, but now I'd like to see this 7 year old game share the spot light and go down to a more modest number of subscribers. Even 6 million subs/active players, which is still more then any other major MMORPG, would be great. Not saying it's WoW or Blizzards "fault" really (though Blizzard is certainly pleased : P), it's just the way people and the market work :/
    The best games lure the most players. It's how it will always work and the fact that no other mmorpg to date has been able to make a dent worthy of mentioning just shows how bad other companies are at making mmorpgs.

I'm fine with WoW being on top, since I ain't feeling the need for another mmorpg filling the niche WoW does for me. GW2 will fill the other niche that I am looking for, casually.

Hmm I thought they might of went up slightly, but this is pretty much expected. Let's see how the 2nd quarter goes though. That's going to be WoW's biggest test. I wouldn't be shocked if they try really hard to push 5.0 out before the end of June too because of all this competition. I really hope Tera and GW2 do well though, that way there is at least some competition for WoW so it pushes innovation and we get more content and more fun.