Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You don't need a "proper HR division" to do biannual employee evaluations.
    Yeah, and I'm sure they catch all the potential factors that determine your wage. There aren't very many businesses where different non-quantifiable skills, such as leadership, will translate into hard numbers or other proper evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    So, in the worst case scenario, the business may not be equipped to handle it regularly. But the prospect of not only losing the case, but paying the defendant's court costs will still act as a strong deterrent for frivolous suits.
    If I'm not mistaken, it's the government that sues the company, not the individual employee.

The amount of goal shifting appeals to ignorance are astounding.

Deleted
    The amount of goal shifting appeals to ignorance are astounding.
    Look, if all jobs were like that of Stock Traders, where your contribution to the company only relies on the profit you make, and this forms your salary (bonus), then this wouldn't be a problem. You could easily see the hard numbers of how much you contributed. And if the women recieved less bonus relative to their earnings for the company than men, then the case would be pretty clear. Or if some sales company gave less comission per identical sold item to female workers than to male workers.

This isn't the case in the vast majority of jobs.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-05-15 at 10:36 PM.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the government that sues the company, not the individual employee.
    This is correct. In most employment disputes the DoL will represent employees who meet their requirements.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Look, if all jobs were like that of Stock Traders, where your contribution to the company only relies on the profit you make, and this forms your salary (bonus), then this wouldn't be a problem. You could easily see the hard numbers of how much you contributed. And if the women recieved less bonus relative to their earnings for the company than men, then the case would be pretty clear. Or if some sales company gave less comission per identical sold item to female workers than to male workers.

This isn't the case in the vast majority of firms.
    We're talking about people making less than their peers. If they are then there clearly should be a reason that can be demonstrated, such as poor educational level, poor sales, poor attendance etc etc. Your appeals to things like "leadership" are just tiresome nonsense that has no relevance.

This isn't the case in the vast majority of jobs.
    they just have to be measured with the same criteria, and given bonuses/demotions accordingly.

Deleted
    This is correct. In most employment disputes the DoL will represent employees who meet their requirements
    So the fear of the employee having to pay for all the court costs doesn't exist (and rightfully so).

Quote Originally Posted by Wells
    We're talking about people making less than their peers. If they are then there clearly should be a reason that can be demonstrated, such as poor educational level, poor sales, poor attendance etc etc. Your appeals to things like "leadership" are just tiresome nonsense that has no relevance.
    So leadership qualities, or any other qualities that in that particular job does not translate into measurable numbers, should not be allowed to cause higher wages?

So leadership qualities, or any other qualities that in that particular job does not translate into measurable numbers, should not be allowed to cause into higher wages?
    We're not talking about higher wages, we're talking about someone making lower wages than all the people around them, not just than one person.

Unless you think "she's making less than the 6 guys doing the same job because they all have leadership" is a serious argument.

---------- Post added 2012-05-15 at 10:43 PM ----------

But lets get this straight, you're assuming discrimination in the workplace is bad. So why don't you want those who are discriminated against to have their day in court?

Deleted
    But lets get this straight, you're assuming discrimination in the workplace is bad. So why don't you want those who are discriminated against to have their day in court?
    I would have nothing against this, it just needs to be treated like a normal case, instead of switching the burden of proof into the employer.

So the employee would actually have to show "memo's or paper" that shows she is the victim of gender discrimination, not that she just for whatever reason happens to have a lower wage.

Anyway, bed.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-05-15 at 10:48 PM.

I would have nothing against this, it just needs to be treated like a normal case, instead of switching the burden of proof into the employer.
    Which no one is doing. So you've spent pages attacking a strawman law.

10+ Year Old Account

So the employee would actually have to show "memo's or paper" that shows she is the victim of gender discrimination, not that she just for whatever reason happens to have a lower wage.
    They do have to show evidence like "memos or paper", the employee does have the burden of proof. That's why people are standing up for this as a basic right, because it is.

Deleted
    Which no one is doing. So you've spent pages attacking a strawman law.
    I don't think you understand the law. Under the federal Equal Pay Act:

The employee has to show that 1) The wages between sexes are different 2) The jobs they perform require equal skill, responsibility etc and are performed under the same conditions. There is no need to show intent.

After this, the employer will be liable unless he can prove it wasn't sexism.

So indeed, the employee does not need to actually prove sexism, only that it might be sexism, even though it could be a variety of other reasons that are harder or easier to show by the employer.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-05-16 at 07:51 AM.

I don't think you understand the law. Under the federal Equal Pay Act:

The employee has to show that 1) The wages between sexes are different 2) The jobs they perform require equal skill, responsibility etc and are performed under the same conditions. There is no need to show intent.

After this, the employer will be liable unless he can prove it wasn't sexism.

So indeed, the employee does not need to actually prove sexism, only that it might be sexism, even though it could be a variety of other reasons that are harder or easier to show by the employer.
    No employer having employees subject to any provisions of this section [section 206 of title 29 of the United States Code] shall discriminate, within any establishment in which such employees are employed, between employees on the basis of sex by paying wages to employees in such establishment at a rate less than the rate at which he pays wages to employees of the opposite sex in such establishment for equal work on jobs[,] the performance of which requires equal skill, effort, and responsibility, and which are performed under similar working conditions, except where such payment is made pursuant to (i) a seniority system; (ii) a merit system; (iii) a system which measures earnings by quantity or quality of production; or (iv) a differential based on any other factor other than sex .[2]
    doesnt that pretty much cover the ways pay is determined?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you have the same job title, workplace experience and even same qualifications, doesn't mean people do work of equal value. And some outside judge can certainly not determine the value of a persons work. The way an employer values how important someone is to the firm can seldom be quantified concretely on a paper. It consists more of personal observations or other factors that are ultimately subjective.

And this has the potential to create cases of sexism where there is none. Which in turn leads to companies having to invest into keeping some hard evidence, even if complete bogus, to justify the different salaries.
    At the very least, would you concede that this would be easy enough to handle for starting pay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    It does, but you're missing his point.

In a normal business dispute- say, Activision vs former Infinity Ward staff:

IW staff sues because they feel they weren't properly compensated.

They, the plaintiff, must prove that they weren't paid as per the agreement they had in place. They must present contracts, payments, etc to prove their case. The defense, Activison, does what they feel they need to defend themselves.

In an equal pay case, if all the IW workers were women, and said they were compensated at a lower rate due to sexism, they need only prove they were doing similar work, recieved less pay, and that it MIGHT have been sexism. At that point, they have no burden of proving that it WAS sexism- that burden falls on the defense to prove that it wasn't.

It runs counter to the very nature of our court system.

Further, (and this is where it disproportionately hurts small/mid-size businesses) businesses need to be pro-active to diffuse potential bombs by building in formal review structures, creating paper trails for CYA, etc.

I just think the whole thing is a load of bullshit. As has been said by me in the past, isn't it funny how a 7% pay gap (assuming it is only ever gender bias that causes it) requires legislative correction, but a 20% and growing educational gap doesn't?

Isn't it amusing and convenient that when women make on average 7% less, it's the fault of big, bad men, but when women outnumber men in the workforce and vastly outnumber them in college, it's because they must work harder or be smarter?

Isn't it amusing that women are actually a slight majority in this country, and a bigger majority in the voting booth, and yet are still a protected minority?

If there is a war on women, it is obviously about as successful as our wars on drugs and poverty.

And before you get your panties in a bunch, Eresis, the above is not something I'm concerned about. I'm not a victim. I'm not playing a card. I'm just amused.

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    At the very least, would you concede that this would be easy enough to handle for starting pay?
    Ironically, it is starting pay that has the smallest gap.

10+ Year Old Account
    But even starting pay differs across individuals in the same positions. Many enterprises have salary levels and one day John got hired at 19.71 but later on Carl came over with programming knowledge which the company was seeking at the time and since he's an attractive candidate they didn't wanna risk losing him so he starts at 22.75 even though he's in the same position as John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    It does, but you're missing his point.

In a normal business dispute- say, Activision vs former Infinity Ward staff:

IW staff sues because they feel they weren't properly compensated.

They, the plaintiff, must prove that they weren't paid as per the agreement they had in place. They must present contracts, payments, etc to prove their case. The defense, Activison, does what they feel they need to defend themselves.

In an equal pay case, if all the IW workers were women, and said they were compensated at a lower rate due to sexism, they need only prove they were doing similar work, recieved less pay, and that it MIGHT have been sexism. At that point, they have no burden of proving that it WAS sexism- that burden falls on the defense to prove that it wasn't.

It runs counter to the very nature of our court system.

Further, (and this is where it disproportionately hurts small/mid-size businesses) businesses need to be pro-active to diffuse potential bombs by building in formal review structures, creating paper trails for CYA, etc.

I just think the whole thing is a load of bullshit. As has been said by me in the past, isn't it funny how a 7% pay gap (assuming it is only ever gender bias that causes it) requires legislative correction, but a 20% and growing educational gap doesn't?

Isn't it amusing and convenient that when women make on average 7% less, it's the fault of big, bad men, but when women outnumber men in the workforce and vastly outnumber them in college, it's because they must work harder or be smarter?

Isn't it amusing that women are actually a slight majority in this country, and a bigger majority in the voting booth, and yet are still a protected minority?

If there is a war on women, it is obviously about as successful as our wars on drugs and poverty.

And before you get your panties in a bunch, Eresis, the above is not something I'm concerned about. I'm not a victim. I'm not playing a card. I'm just amused.

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 10:08 AM ----------

Ironically, it is starting pay that has the smallest gap.
    but all they have to do is have a clear system of pay. and what you and diurdi keep glossing over is that that legislation is what brought the gap to 7% instead of 50%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post

That same article you quoted mentioned that although women work harder in college, they get compensated less. You are picking what may or may not be a problem to fight the result of a solution that had deep historical and sociological roots. You are playing the "men are victims" too card, which is only noise. It's not the same problem.

Edit: I left the original post up cuz I think it's hilarious I wrote it and missed the "And before you get your panties in a bunch, Eresis, the above is not something I'm concerned about. I'm not a victim. I'm not playing a card. I'm just amused.", lol.

At any rate. You're obfuscating with something that may or may not be a problem. You claim that women are not a minority. In power they are. We might or might not have more women graduating but those in power are still men. Most CEO's are men, most congressmen are men, we still haven't had a female president. In STEM fields most people are men.
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-05-16 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Deleted
    Yes, but the point is that you can't just say "well her wage is based on 'any other factor other than sex'". You also need to prove it wasn't based on gender, but based on something else.

While it is normally the claimant that proves beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant did something, under the equal pay act it isn't so. It's a case of guilty until proven innocent once the employee has provided a possibility that it may be sexism. Also known as, shared burden of proof.

Whether the employer is deliberately being a misogynist and giving a lower wage to women because of sexism, is irrelevant to these cases. Intent doesn't matter.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-05-16 at 02:19 PM.

Yes, but the point is that you can't just say "well her wage is based on 'any other factor other than sex'". You also need to prove it wasn't based on gender, but based on something else.

While it is normally the claimant that proves beyond reasonable doubt that the defendant did something, under the equal pay act it isn't so. It's a case of guilty until proven innocent once the employee has provided a possibility that it may be sexism. Also known as, shared burden of proof.
    to even begin the case the employee had to show:
    different wages are paid to employees of the opposite sex;
    the employees perform substantially equal work on jobs requiring equal skill, effort and responsibility; and
    the jobs are performed under similar working conditions.

intent is also not a requirement.

Deleted
    Maybe in some industries, but not others. For example if they at walmart have some index that says that new hires recieve $10/hour if they're male and $9/hour if they're female by default, then it would be a case of discrimination. But it's often not this simple.

to even begin the case the employee had to show:
    different wages are paid to employees of the opposite sex;
    the employees perform substantially equal work on jobs requiring equal skill, effort and responsibility; and
    the jobs are performed under similar working conditions.

intent is also not a requirement.
    Yeah, I just said that. I don't need you to copypaste from wikipedia for me.
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2012-05-16 at 02:25 PM.