Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Blizzard is rather disappointing these days in terms of innovation

altho its hard to blame them since fans of their core games seem to want the same game updated to todays standards, and that seems to be what we more or less got between Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I'm just not sure if they're over-catering to their rabid online ladder fanbase more than gamers as a whole by repeating the same successful formula to the point the games are almost identical to their predecessors.

Obviously they have Titan on the horizon which will likely be something new but i can't help but be disappointed with their remakes of older games. I'm surprised they spent 7 years doing D3, and however many doing Starcraft2, where they more or less felt like graphical updated versions of their original releases. Granted i'm not Blizzard's typical B.net online ladder player, more than casual gamer that leans single player campaigns. ITs gotten to the point i don't think i'll be buying another Blizzard re-release again, feels like a complete waste of money more than many other games i've purchased. Haven't touched SC2 for a long time after finishing it, and D3 is going to wear out quick from what i can see...i just feel disappointed in how much work they supposedly put into them only for those games to feel so much like i've already played them :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop playing single player so much and play with friends, the games become much more enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard stick to what they know, obviously that will not appeal to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    altho its hard to blame them since fans of their core games seem to want the same game updated to todays standards, and that seems to be what we more or less got between Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I'm just not sure if they're over-catering to their rabid online ladder fanbase more than gamers as a whole by repeating the same successful formula to the point the games are almost identical to their predecessors.

Obviously they have Titan on the horizon which will likely be something new but i can't help but be disappointed with their remakes of older games. I'm surprised they spent 7 years doing D3, and however many doing Starcraft2, where they more or less felt like graphical updated versions of their original releases. Granted i'm not Blizzard's typical B.net online ladder player, more than casual gamer that leans single player campaigns. ITs gotten to the point i don't think i'll be buying another Blizzard re-release again, feels like a complete waste of money more than many other games i've purchased. Haven't touched SC2 for a long time after finishing it, and D3 is going to wear out quick from what i can see...i just feel disappointed in how much work they supposedly put into them only for those games to feel so much like i've already played them :P
    I understand what you're saying, but just refer to the Warcraft 4 thread for exactly why Blizzard makes what it does.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    100% agree.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Deleted
    It's hard to create new revolutionary game when people wants same ol' sh*t just like Call of Duty etc. so blizzard trying to create a game which have old basis with a few new things.I personaly love SC2 D3 and I really like way which MoP heads to.

I'm just not sure if they're over-catering to their rabid online ladder fanbase more than gamers as a whole by repeating the same successful formula to the point the games are almost identical to their predecessors.

I'm surprised they spent 7 years doing D3, and however many doing Starcraft2, where they more or less felt like graphical updated versions of their original releases.
    I feel the same thing every time a new game is being released. Not by Blizzard, (I like the new D3) but by gaming developers as a whole. I guess I'm just growing out of video games =[
    What I like seeing are fresh new games that have their own world (not ripping off of a older game) and have something that is very new!
    When I see games do this, they are usually always ripping off of a previous games, and trying to re-invent the wheel for that series *cough*Skylanders*cough*
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-05-21 at 03:35 PM.

What exactly did you expect out of Diablo 3? The game certainly isn't a reskinned D2, but the core mechanics are more or less the same. But, if Blizzard were to change those, then it wouldn't really be Diablo, would it? I'm perfectly happy with it. It's a great game. I can't speak for Starcraft 2, however, as I do not play it. But, it sounds like it's just you.

I've always felt that Blizzard doesn't really innovate all that much, they mostly polish and perfect. That's not to say that they don't innovate, but their strength lies in taking some tried and true mechanics and then iterating and improving them better than anyone else in the industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually disagree I felt sc2 had more in terms of innovation even if it wasn't all that much. D3 probably has the least innovation I've seen in awhile out of Blizzard on the other hand. Outside of their Business model of course which IMO is extremely innovative. D3 is the only time I've felt that I never got my moneys worth out of Blizzard. Part of that is lack of innovation and moving the arpg genre forward. Others will be doing that I feel and are more worthy of my attention at any rate. Of course others lack the brand recognition and marketability so it remains to be seen if they'll have the success that the title "Diablo 3" brings when married with the company logo "Blizzard" on the box. What a shame.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-05-21 at 04:22 PM.

What did you expect D3 and SC2 to be? They are sequels to a mass popular game. Its like complaining that Halo 2 is just like Halo 1 but with updates. Thats all that sequels are. Its a winning formula, why change it?

15+ Year Old Account
    I am curious about how one would measure innovation anyway when it comes to sequels. There are plenty of popular examples where when a developer tried to do something different at its core for a sequel it marked the end of the franchise. They stripped down the game until only the skeletal remains were left and built a new game upon it. So in the end you are still playing a Diablo game but with different side features than its predecessor. If its core gameplay was radically changed, to say a Mass Effect style game with QTEs and bullet time effects, then I believe it could have thoroughly backfired. It makes only sense to conclude the Diablo franchise with a game having solid gameplay and staying conservative at that rather than experimenting with radically new things they wouldn't build up on anyway.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-05-21 at 04:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    I think their art team is pretty innovative sometimes. Gameplay wise, they seems to stick to established game types and make their versions very polished. It would be nice to see them really try something new and crazy, maybe with titan

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    It's hard to create new revolutionary game when people wants same ol' sh*t just like Call of Duty etc. so blizzard trying to create a game which have old basis with a few new things.I personaly love SC2 D3 and I really like way which MoP heads to.

We started playing World of Warcraft 6 and some even more years ago because we LOVED how it was. Why change it when almost 10 mill people already liked it at the end of BC? And i say almost because i'm talking about hte times before the last nerfs patch, which i can understand as it was over. Yet, it wasn't a nerf patch for the end, it was the way it started to go.

Who cares about innovating? we liked the old game and we were enough to keep it alive (basically the same subs than now, prolly a bit less), yet, players who loved the game and were up for anything with it. But now.. not it's just one more game to have fun with, not a hobby anymore.. they can be glad of it's past or else they wouldn't even have half of the current subs.

You can make changes to the game and even open it a bit more, but why sell it's soul to make more money out of it? I sure know that I wouldn't sell my book like that, I rather have a less known work but with people who I know they really like it instead of a bunch of crybabies who'd consider your job a failure because it takes them more than 5 days to lvl up a toon and more than 2 days to get full epic sets!

That's it pretty much, my rage bar is back to empty

Blizzard don't innovate for the sole purpose of innovating. They do what they believe will be fun for the players. If innovation happens along the way as a side-process of that, great! If it doesn't, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    I feel the same thing every time a new game is being released. Not by Blizzard, (I like the new D3) but by gaming developers as a whole. I guess I'm just growing out of video games =[
    What I like seeing are fresh new games that have their own world (not ripping off of a older game) and have something that is very new!
    When I see games do this, they are usually always ripping off of a previous games, and trying to re-invent the wheel for that series *cough*Skylanders*cough*
    Its not possible to make a fresh game. Everything has been done so far.

Even a Street Cleaning Simulator is out there.

I thought Innovation in games = big chance, that even if you win, there will be a billion douche bags that will still bitch about it.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Blizzard never innovated anything, they polish existing things.
    Diablo 1 wasn't Blizzards innovation, they bought the original developer and renamend him Blizzard North.
    Warcraft/Starcraft were inspired by Dune II and the rising RTS genre.
    With WoW evryone knows anyway.
    Heck, the whole company started with porting games.

I'm sorry but are you saying Blizzard didn't innovate with Diablo 3? Diablo 3 is an example of what happens when you innovate with the Diablo 2 formula. Torchlight 2 is an example of what happens when you don't.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

They've never innovated much. They make polished versions of concepts that work. D3 and SC2 both work.