Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What is the best Katana for a zombie apocalypse?

I am basically looking to buy a Katana, because they are badass swords, and they would be really helpful if a zombie apocalypse actually did happen, so!

Do anyone know which and where I could get the best possible Katana suited for actual combat, while still being somewhat comfortable? Thanks

(Well, when I first put down money into a sword, I want it to be the real deal, which I can use if something does happen, not just some dull decoration thingy which would break on first impact.)
    Last edited by Falling; 2012-05-29 at 02:03 AM. Reason: killing=combat

no blade is good against zombies. switch to guns

Quote Originally Posted by Falling View Post
    I am basically looking to buy a Katana, because they are badass swords, and they would be really helpful if a zombie apocalypse actually did happen, so!

Do anyone know which and where I could get the best possible Katana suited for actual killing, while still being somewhat comfortable? Thanks
    This should probably be closed and you should probably choose your wording more carefully in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Korlash View Post
    Guns run out of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Guns run out of bullets.
    zombies can overwhelm a melee
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

A machete. Not only is an authentic katana somewhat difficult to find, they are expensive. A machete can hack and slash with ease, whereas a katana takes more dexterity to use properly.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Zombies can overwhelm a person with a gun too. You have to reload sometime.

10+ Year Old Account

Do anyone know which and where I could get the best possible Katana suited for actual killing, while still being somewhat comfortable? Thanks
    Have a look at http://www.teraasekeskus.com/mainpage.asp?lan=eng
    Finnish store but they ship worldwide, they have lots of stuff ^^

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korlash View Post
    No they are just as lethal however being good with a sword / Katanna can be a bit ''Difficult'' at times.

---------- Post added 2012-05-29 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    np just do a barb diablo style whirlwind and your g2g

can never go wrong with the Cold Steel series Katana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nAuowwqhI

Honestly though, I'd have to go with this bad ass 2-h Greatsword: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM

Seems that it depends heavily on the characteristics of the zombies. If they are the fast-paced, run-you-down-in-mobs kind, you will need a (semi) automatic gun, though you are probably better off with explosives. However, if they are the slow, lumbering type, a machete, hatchet or sword will do just fine. Probably best to have both just to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by klimon View Post
    Seems that it depends heavily on the characteristics of the zombies. If they are the fast-paced, run-you-down-in-mobs kind, you will need a (semi) automatic gun, though you are probably better off with explosives. However, if they are the slow, lumbering type, a machete, hatchet or sword will do just fine. Probably best to have both just to be prepared.
    This guy knows what's up!

Also with a sword/knife/whatever, you have major physical stamina requirements to be considered about.

Hattori Hanzo sword of course...

You could try a Shinai.

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    np just do a barb diablo style whirlwind and your g2g
    Only you would get stuck in a body cause you wouldn't have the speed and force to cut thru body's.

Yeah uhm... Like... I can see the newspapers already; "Person going rampage with katana, asked for advice on forum".
    Now seriously; a zombie apocalyse will never happen, even if it did, you won't be able to save yourself with a katana cause you would be too scared to actually do shit and you wouldn't be able to handle a katana, it require's skill.

“It takes decades to become battle-ready with a katana. Anyone with less experience is likely to cut their own leg or foot off on a deflection or missed attack. You’re better to hope your fake katana breaks on your first hit. It will spare you a major self-inflicted injury.”

Kouno closed the interview by stating that there are only a handful of people on the planet who could effectively use a katana in battle. For the rest of us it would be nothing more than a recipe for certain death.

Don’t get me wrong. The notion of fighting zombies with a deadly katana is as appealing to me as the next guy, but it is also equally unrealistic. In my research I’ve found that a real Japanese katana is difficult to master, nearly impossible to find and purchase, and limited in its real-world application.

Good thing I’ve still got my trusty crow bar and baseball bat.
    source
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

You'd probably want something more effective than a sword in case a zombie gets in melee range. However, ranged weaponry should always be your first line of defense. Well, second. A well protected home base should be your first line of defense. Also, do not forget explosives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Katana? no... Machete? noo...

TWO HANDED KATANA MACHETE!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--Dkk3nNOc

Baseball bat.

Cricket bat is fine too.

Then hide out in your favorite pub.

Oh. OT: Retail swords are mostly shit. Do some research, find a craftsperson who makes them well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I find it concerning that you're looking for a Katana for a possible/theoretical zombie attack in seriousness. I find it even more concerning that you chose the wording "suited for actual killing". I don't think anyone with any even vague intentions of that should ever be allowed to own such a weapon.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Baseball bat.

Cricket bat is fine too.

Then hide out in your favorite pub.

Oh. OT: Retail swords are mostly shit. Do some research, find a craftsperson who makes them well.
    Oh most absolutely I've my fair experience of those type of swords granted they make good decorations

---------- Post added 2012-05-29 at 12:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I find it concerning that you're looking for a Katana for a possible/theoretical zombie attack in seriousness. I find it even more concerning that you chose the wording "suited for actual killing". I don't think anyone with any even vague intentions of that should ever be allowed to own such a weapon.
    Hes just having fun here stop spoiling the mood as are the rest of us