Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hmm... what are your stats looking like? Are your Rakata pieces stock enhancements and such? With 35%+ crit, you shouldn't run into overheating issues. Your rotation is correct and it seems you do understand the priority system well enough.
    accuracy 103.58
    crit 36.83
    surge 72.78
    power 383
    tech power 1224
    aim 2051

that is with all four buffs on, and my rakata stim activated.

is it possible i'm trying to go through the rotation too fast? i tend to spam my way through, maybe going through with a little more control and precision would help?

havent touched any of my rakata pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Toredam View Post
    accuracy 103.58
    crit 36.83
    surge 72.78
    power 383
    tech power 1224
    aim 2051

that is with all four buffs on, and my rakata stim activated.

is it possible i'm trying to go through the rotation too fast? i tend to spam my way through, maybe going through with a little more control and precision would help?

havent touched any of my rakata pieces
    We should all be pre-casting our spells, so "going through the rotation too fast" should not be an issue. Control and percision are always vital though. That's what sepparates the 4 button face-mashers from the good players.

1) Know then actual heat cost of each ability. Off the top of my head I think it's HSM 16, TM, 16, Unload 16, RailS Free, RapisS Free, DFA 25
    2) Be aware of how HSM will spike up your heat because of the instant cast time. Worst case scenaro (you don't crit on Tracer or HSM) you just spiked up 32 heat in less than 2 seconds.
    3) Use TSO-> Dfa to get you out of a heat problem before you use rapid shots.
    4) Make judgements according to how soon Vent Heat/TSO is refreshing. (You have to take risks when you are pushing dps. Just make sure you have a back up plan. IE don't risk going over 40 heat when TSO and Vent Heat still have a minute to refresh.)

Contrary to popular belief, Mercenaries are not a 4 button face roll class. Heat management is quite delicate and if you want the best results you have to put in the effort. We are not like Marauders. They have a complicated rotation that uses twice the amount of abilites we use, but once they get the hang of it they are golden. Mercenaries, however, can't just memorize a rotation. It takes constant focus on our heat bar because our heat management is in constant flux depending on when we crit. Put in the effort...get the reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guncom View Post
    My biggest question is how are you going through a 6 minute duration fight without using Rapid Shots at all? Is this typical for you? Spam casting TM/HSM/UL/RS with no rapid shots to manage heat leaves me quite starved. My gear is a mix of Rakata/Campaign/BH with an appropriate stat balance.

Any breakdown of how to better manage heat would be helpful.
    I have videos in my signature that is HM 16 EC boss kills, and it shows what I'm doing. For Toth and Zorn I was merely running around aimlessly sometimes to show positionings, etc, so leave out that fight.

And yes, for my 6min parses on a target dummy I use rapid shots maybe once or twice with ~1600+ sustained DPS with only my stim.

If your motive was truely to help people you wouldn't have reacted the way you did when I questioned your methods. It's blatantly obvious to anyone here that the only reason you even post this information is to make yourself look good.
    Please stop. You are not helping this thread by telling me that I don't know what I am talking about. I posted information to help people. Why would I care what some people on MMOC think of me? It doesn't define who I am. If you think I'm just looking for attention- congratulations, you're giving it to me. Seems a bit counterproductive, don't it?

We should all be pre-casting our spells, so "going through the rotation too fast" should not be an issue.
    You are correct, however, some people do encounter the bug where it uses up your GCD and doesn't cast anything if you precast Unload. I haven't found a pattern with it but it happens to me a few times a raid.

3) Use TSO-> Dfa to get you out of a heat problem before you use rapid shots.
    TSO on every Heatseeker. Using it on DFA is a waste.

2) Be aware of how HSM will spike up your heat because of the instant cast time. Worst case scenaro (you don't crit on Tracer or HSM) you just spiked up 32 heat in less than 2 seconds.
    Though we do not have a 'true' rotation, using HSM after Tracer will reeeally be bad unless its a burn phase and you plan on using Vent Heat. I figured I would add that for those reading this. With the amount of times Unload seems to proc, you can generally weave HSM's after Unload every time.

I am also very curious about how/where did you get the schematics for the crited rakata stuff
    I went Artifice and crit-crafted the relic. You can buy the pattern from the trainer. I went Armormech to crit craft the bracers and belt. You can also buy those patterns from the trainer.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2012-05-19 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

You are correct, however, some people do encounter the bug where it uses up your GCD and doesn't cast anything if you precast Unload. I haven't found a pattern with it but it happens to me a few times a raid.

Already addressed this. Keep up with the thread.

TSO on every Heatseeker. Using it on DFA is a waste.

Wtf...are you even reading? TSO has at best a 1:30 refresh time. HSM is 15 seconds. You can't use it on every HSM...not even close. DFA is the best option for damage output.

Though we do not have a 'true' rotation, using HSM after Tracer will reeeally be bad unless its a burn phase and you plan on using Vent Heat. I figured I would add that for those reading this. With the amount of times Unload seems to proc, you can generally weave HSM's after Unload every time.

Wrong. Anyone who wants to do Max dps is hitting HSM as soon as it refreshes most of the time.
    If you really want to help people you would just stop posting. You are doing more harm than good honestly. Save your dignity.

Infracted
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-05-20 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaser View Post
    If you really want to help people you would just stop posting. You are doing more harm than good honestly. Save your dignity.
    You know, I've argued with Aerro before on other issues, but the above pretty much shows with full certainty that unlike him, you're not here to be useful, you're just here cause Aerro hurt your feelings on another forum or something.

I thought Aerro had some good thoughts the first couple posts I read from him. Unfortunately, it became glaringly apparent that everything he said was based on the presupposition that he couldn't possibly be wrong. Then I discovered this thread. It's riddled with faulty thinking.

Do this.
    Why?
    Because I said it's the best thing to do.

I'm amazed that people even considered taking some of his suggestions against the tested charts of diminishing returns. After reading his last response, I think I'm pretty much done here. I exposed his arrogance and faulty logic. I established that when confronted he completely ignores the issue. And frankly, no matter who is sensible about their ideas or what have you, we can't seem to agree on a single blessed thing.

So that's it. Aerro I think you have a decent grasp of the Mercenary class, but I question your methodology. (Even a guide should have specific reasons why you do what you do. "Because I think it is better" is not helpful.) I might post here a few more times if something interests me, but I won't bother you anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    For everyone following this thread:

I have typed it numerous times as well as put it at the beginning of my thread...

Everything in this thread is a summary of my work. It is merely my opinion and I do not claim to be better than anyone else. Instead of wasting your time shuffling through a bunch of numbers that you honestly don't care about- I quickly get to the point. Try it for yourself. If it improves your DPS, great. If not- then it was worth a shot.

I don't claim to be awesome- but pushing 1650+ on a target dummy over a 5-6min duration without buffs must show for something. I'm done responding to you Phaser and I have put you on my ignore. I will continue answering other posters questions, however.

I am arrogant, I am elitist. That is how I am. I don't care. I decided to turn over a new leaf this year and try to be more 'nice' an help out others. I feel that this thread would benefit others.

Thank you for those who actually have positive/constructive comments. I know a few of you have pointed out mistakes or new reasonings that I have had to change. I will continue my work in this thread as more content is released.

I don't claim to be awesome- but pushing 1650+ on a target dummy over a 5-6min duration without buffs must show for something.
    And I'm the king of Jupiter buddy. Nice try.
    "I am arrogant, I am elitist. That is how I am. I don't care. I decided to turn over a new leaf this year and try to be more 'nice' an help out others." (Aerro: the gods gift to Bounty Hunters)

And I'm the king of Jupiter buddy. Nice try.

It is kinda sad to see Jupiter get away from open elections and let a royal family take over again..............

Its a little sad when ppl try to post info and ideas to help others out and get trashed for it. There has been some stuff in this and many other theory crafting thread I have seen over the years I didn't agree with. When that happens you toss out your info show your side and go from there. I don't know how slamming ppl that are trying to help does any good.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I don't claim to be awesome- but pushing 1650+ on a target dummy over a 5-6min duration without buffs must show for something.
    Hey Aerro.
    Could you please post a log of you doing this on a target dummy? Im interested to see your min/max hits, and how many times you hit with abilities (to compare with my min/max hits and alacrity vs no alacrity).

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swtorplayerasdf View Post
    Hey Aerro.
    Could you please post a log of you doing this on a target dummy? Im interested to see your min/max hits, and how many times you hit with abilities (to compare with my min/max hits and alacrity vs no alacrity).

Thanks!
    I'll get one up tomorrow as soon as I handle this whole 'D3 account being compromised' ordeal. Priorities

I'll get one up tomorrow as soon as I handle this whole 'D3 account being compromised' ordeal. Priorities
    Awesome thanks
    I best look into that D3 as well actually..

Awesome thanks
    I best look into that D3 as well actually..
    Been a few days. . .the delay couldn't possibly be because you can't produce the numbers you talked about earlier would it? Hmmm, definately called that one.

Keep your discussions on topic and civil. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-05-26 at 01:37 AM.
    "I am arrogant, I am elitist. That is how I am. I don't care. I decided to turn over a new leaf this year and try to be more 'nice' an help out others." (Aerro: the gods gift to Bounty Hunters)

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a few days. . .the delay couldn't possibly be because you can't produce the numbers you talked about earlier would it? Hmmm, definately called that one.
    I have yet to be on TOR. Mostly between work/summer classes/computer issues/Battlenet account being hacked/realworld responsibilities have hindered me from even logging in.

Sorry, but video games are not my life. I have just got home from work, so I am going to go eat and go to sleep. I work 35 hours this weekend.

Please refrain from harassing me in my own helpful thread.

I have yet to be on TOR. Mostly between work/summer classes/computer issues/Battlenet account being hacked/realworld responsibilities have hindered me from even logging in.

Sorry, but video games are not my life. I have just got home from work, so I am going to go eat and go to sleep. I work 35 hours this weekend.

Please refrain from harassing me in my own helpful thread.
    When ever you can post it Aerro Im in no rush
    Would just like to compare to see the major differences in my stats/apm etc vs yours

10+ Year Old Account
    When ever you can post it Aerro Im in no rush
    Would just like to compare to see the major differences in my stats/apm etc vs yours
    I give my sincerest apologies on the wait! I have been pretty quick to reply in the past but I have been extremely busy these past few weeks. My raid is starting in about 4min, so I'm heading there now -however- I will get a log up after our raid (solo on a target dummy, of course) for you to analyze.

Again, thank you for your patience and I will do my best to remain active in this thread once again.

Edit: Here is my parse

http://www.torparse.com/a/43539

Not my best attempt but its 10:40 PM and I have another long day ahead of me tomorrow so I am off to bed!

I thought I broke 4 minutes but I guess not. Granted most fights do not last that long (at least for my guild anyways).

I had about a steady 1750 DPS until the end when TSO for some odd reason refuses to be read if used instantaneously with HSM. I'm not sure if the problem happens to others but it does go on CD and it used, however, HSM still is building heat which screwed me up a bit.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2012-05-30 at 02:40 AM.

If TSO is your ability that makes your next ability free, then yeah I get that as well. Constantly..so frustrating. Not to mention sometimes my 4 pc doesnt work and HiB costs ammo. Really annoying considering how precise we have to be to remain stable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorion View Post
    If TSO is your ability that makes your next ability free, then yeah I get that as well. Constantly..so frustrating. Not to mention sometimes my 4 pc doesnt work and HiB costs ammo. Really annoying considering how precise we have to be to remain stable.
    Yupp, TSO is 'supposed' to make the next ability free but if used too close to the following ability then that ability still costs heat/ammo. Definitely needs to be fixed since I lost about 40-50 DPS because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar;16994571
    Edit: Here is my parse

[url
    http://www.torparse.com/a/43539[/url]
    Hello and thank you for the parse. I came here thinking I was "doing it wrong" but all suggestions on rotations etc I am doing. Comparing my parse to yours my dmg breakdown is within 5% of most abilities (i.e. using the same stuff) however I struggle to keep my dps sustained for 3-4 minutes over 1000. On further investigation of your logs and mine it seems your Demolition Rounds are hitting for almost twice as what mine do. Grav round seems to be about 500-600 ahead of mine etc etc.

So this HAS to be because of gear/stats. Comparing my stats to Toredams (who posted above):

Toredam

accuracy 103.58
    crit 36.83
    surge 72.78
    power 383
    tech power 1224
    aim 2051

Me

accuracy 100 %
    crit 36 %
    surge 72 %
    power 290
    aim 1946

I did have my accuracy a lot higher (105%) however im starting to believe that as a republic trooper I do not need more than 100/110 tech as I dont have offhand attacks - so I dropped this yesterday to bump up my crit/surge.

What I can notice is that I am a good 100 aim and 100 power short of Tor and who knows how short that is of your own stats. I have collected all the datacrons, am in full Rakata gear (minus my weapon which is Columi). Could my weapon dmg explain such a shortfall?
    Last edited by Cortic; 2012-05-30 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is DEFINITELY your gear that is hindering you.

My accuracy is 100% (ranged)

Power: 656

Surge: 74.8%

Crit: 39.3%

Aim: 2212

Of course those are with buffs. Unbuffed my aim is above 2100 and my crit is 34%.