Front panel headphone jack not working

My front panel headphone jack isn't working. Only 1 can of the headset is producing sound. The headset itself works because when I use the usb attachment the sound works fine, but when plug in the 3.5mm jack in my front panel headphone port only 1 can is producing sound.

What could be causing this?

I've always had problems with my front panel headphone jack not working. Even after replacing motherboards and cases I still get problems.....I'm a sad person. Maybe my house is haunted and a ghost is breaking my computer!

10+ Year Old Account
    A headset with both 3.5mm and USB attachments? What headset is this?

Do you have any 3.5mm earphones lying around that you can test instead?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

Do you have any 3.5mm earphones lying around that you can test instead?
    Well I should've said a dolby surround sound usb sound card that came with the headset. I'll grab some headphones to see if they work.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 11:25 AM ----------

Ok I tried another pair of headphones with a 3.5mm jack and still only 1 can works.

Not sure why, but check your sound drivers are up-to-date.

Also pop open your chassis and just make sure the lead connecting your front jack ports are connected properly and haven't become loose.

These are just some shots in the dark but I hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102037

Probably that or something similar. It is wired as a 3.5mm headset but comes with a dongle that you can plug the 3.5mm plugs into to make it a USB headset.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Not sure why, but check your sound drivers are up-to-date.

Also pop open your chassis and just make sure the lead connecting your front jack ports are connected properly and haven't become loose.

These are just some shots in the dark but I hope it helps
    Drivers are up to date and all of my cables are connected correctly. I hope the case isn't broken. What port on the motherboard audio ports is for headphones? I've tried all of them with a 3.5mm jack and none of them worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the motherboard. Get us your motherboard model and we'll point out exactly where the front panel connection is

It will look something like this:

But the location can vary, it's *typically* either on the bottom edge or right edge.

Asrock Z68 extreme 3 gen 3. I watched a video on youtube on hooking up this motherboard, maybe it's wrong idk. If it wasn't connected right why does it play sound? Well only in one can but still.

I have the HD audio plugged in not the ac97 if that helps. I think the ac97 is a legacy sound driver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    My front panel headphone jack isn't working. Only 1 can of the headset is producing sound. The headset itself works because when I use the usb attachment the sound works fine, but when plug in the 3.5mm jack in my front panel headphone port only 1 can is producing sound.

What could be causing this?
    Unless you built this yourself, I'd say they forgot to plug the connector for the jack into the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Unless you built this yourself, I'd say they forgot to plug the connector for the jack into the motherboard.
    If they forgot to OP wouldn't get any sound from it. :P If anything it's not plugged in securely or came loose, disconnecting/reconnecting the front panel header might be all it needs to fix it. That said if the headphones work fine with other 3.5mm devices something could be up with the front panel itself and might need to get in touch with the case manufacturer for a replacement panel.

It appears that my front io panel is broken. I tried my headset on a laptop and both of the cans worked. Ugh.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you just have a knack for breaking front panel audio ports don't you -_-