Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cito2009 View Post
    I have the G13... Just got it. How did you get GW2? I search for new games and it only shows GW1..
    It's not a profile, it's support through the API to use the display to output data from the game.
    It comes up automatically when I launch GW2.exe

I have a belkin n52te which I believe is the same as the nostromo, and it is absolutely worth it!
    The layout also goes perfectly with guild wars!

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] <---weapon skills
    [6] [7] [8] [9] [0] <---utility skills
    [f1][f2][f3][f4] <---class skills

Then I use the D-pad for strafing and movement along with my mouse and also use the web browser back button on my mouse for dodge (in the direction Im moving).

Thank you for all the replies, especially for Agile Emily's pics!

I'm still on the fence as on one hand (no pun intended), my hand is pretty small and I definitely have to move my hand from the home keys to hit any of the F1-F5 hotkeys. On the other hand, one of the BWE2 changes will be new keybinds available, so maybe it won't be such an issue (?).

The ergonomic factor for these speedpads looks pretty sexy, and the dpad movement seems very convenient (although the stuff about needing to cut off the G13 joystick and reposition it worries me).
    Last edited by ellorien; 2012-06-06 at 04:14 AM.

Deleted
    I have belkin n52te (nostromo is new version of this). I would not be able to play without it after I got used to it. At least in n52te/ nostromo removing thumb pad is not a big thing, you can always put it back.

My GW2 keys are something like this.

1-5 and elite 0 = where my hand normally is
    F1-F4 = on the corner, easy access, but not as natural as 1-5
    space = jump, where my little finger is, really easy for moving
    F, H, I = interaction, hero panel and inventory at the low row

Scroll = tab targetting
    Scroll middle = weapon swap

Button over Dpad = heal, easy acess (on every game this is my "oh shit"-button)
    Button under Dpad = Map (on every game)

I may need to change Dpad strafing to normal WASD or maybe I can add dodge key. Utility skills 7-8-9 are on my mouse.

Something worth noting is that g13 and nostromo are meant for games with more binds then normal keyboard easily allows for with wasd layout.

GW2 is not one of those games because of low total amount of skills and other buttons needed to play the game. You can fairly comfortably bind wasd's surroundings with everything action-related in GW2 and still have a couple of buttons to spare if you have a decent mouse. And if you use modifiers which will now be allowed, you'll find yourself with healthy surplus of keys.

You don't need any fancy overpriced crap for any game, let alone GW2. I mean, you only need, what, number keys 1-5 for your main attacks, five more keybinds for your other main skills, a max of four (or five?) keybinds for class mechanics (attunements, steal, shroud, etc etc), one for weap swap, and then one more bind for dodge. That's nothing compared to most MMOs, and even in those I have enough binds without having any extra keys or buttons. My easy to hit binds for important stuff are 1-5, alt 1-3, shift1-5, ~, Q, E, R, Z, X, C, F, T, V, G, tab, side mouse 1 and 2, and then even alt and shift + some of those. That's already way overkill.

The only expensive peripheral that's actually worth it is a good mechanical keyboard. You can grab a decent one for around $100-150 and then get a $40 Logitech G400 mouse - its one of the few mice with a near-perfect sensor that doesn't have any positive or negative acceleration, and even the newer ones don't have any prediction either. Razer is shit, the "higher-end" models of Logitech mice (G500/700) are shit, most of Steelseries stuff aside from their Qck mouse pads and the new Kana mouse are shit. Don't buy into the whole over-priced gaming gear garbage like many do. If you do your research, you'll find everything I've said is true.
    Last edited by Ickz; 2012-06-06 at 11:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    You don't need any fancy overpriced crap for any game, let alone GW2.

The only expensive peripheral that's actually worth it is a good mechanical keyboard. You can grab a decent one for around $100-150
    So a $60 gamepad is fancy overpriced crap you don't need, but a $150 mechanical keyboard isn't...

I have the Belkin n52te. Find it very useful particularly when doing strafing moves etc. I like using my left thumb for movement, leaving my 4 fingers free for combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    So a $60 gamepad is fancy overpriced crap you don't need, but a $150 mechanical keyboard isn't...
    I know really. that + the $40 mouse adds up to around the same price I payed over the years for my G15 and naga togeather, that have served me faithfully for quite a few years now I might add. Worst problem I've had is cloging the keyboard with crumbs from eating at it too many times. Not only my own fault there but easily fixed.

Who is John Galt?

I have a N52TE as well and love it, especially for pvp. I don't use the d-pad for movement however (retrain years of wasd? no), I mapped keys to it like 1,2,3,4 and 5 for the button above it. THats 5 skills you can use without taking your fingers off of WASD. The mouse wheel on it is a little awkward to use during play to so I have it mapped just to switch profiles. And the macros are nice for games like Star Wars which had none, cycle F1-F4 at 5ms apart etc.

N

Correct. A good mechanical keyboard is worth every penny and you'll actually notice a huge difference in each key press. Using mechanical switches -can- actually improve your performance (whereas overpriced gimmicky garbage won't) and just feels much nicer than shitty normal rubber domes. Maybe you should actually try one out before dismissing it........... dotdotdotdot

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a G13. I love it. The ability to customize the entire pad to whatever keybinds you want without messing with the regular keyboard is huge. I'm using it in conjunction with the Cyborg MMO 7 mouse. The MMO mouse I use for my main abilities, while the G13 I use for movement and other less used abilities. I went with the G13 due to more favourable comparisons. In particular, what many reviewer said was that on the Nostromo, going say diagonally forward and right on the thumbstick only hits one key, while on the G13 it would press D+W simultaneously. I also like having more buttons.

Support added in today's patch

The thumbstick on yours is different than mine, like the Xbox 360 one. Did you install that on your own? Or did they change it recently and you're working with some older model?

Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance - but do you still use a mouse in conjunction with the gamepad? Or does the joystick remove most functions of the mouse?
    I've been using the Nostromo n52te game pad for a long time and I personally like the mouse to turn, the finger keys to move forward, backwards, strafe left and strafe right. I find the joystick bothersome to use while clicking finger binds for abilities. Especially when you need to move-jump-spin and use abilities, like in PvP whilst kiting etc. I also use the razor naga mouse with my gamepad and I love the amount of comfort for having so many key binds available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    The thumbstick on yours is different than mine, like the Xbox 360 one. Did you install that on your own? Or did they change it recently and you're working with some older model?
    It's a 360 stick, although thumbsticks from some Logitech gamepads are a direct fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get the Razer Nostromo. All the way. People who say Razer products are shit just throw them against walls. I have a razer mouse, headset, and keyboard. Never had to replace my Blackwidow or Naga, and the only time I had to replace my Carcharias was because it was DoA...and I kind of vacuumed the cord out of the socket =P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manabuzz View Post
    I find the joystick bothersome to use
    That's one of the main reasons I got a G13 instead of the N52.
    The N52 has a Dpad with an extension, the G13 has a proper thumbstick.

---------- Post added 2012-06-07 at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyqt View Post
    Get the Razer Nostromo. All the way. People who say Razer products are shit just throw them against walls. I have a razer mouse, headset, and keyboard. Never had to replace my Blackwidow or Naga, and the only time I had to replace my Carcharias was because it was DoA...and I kind of vacuumed the cord out of the socket =P.
    "Razer" Nostromo.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-06-06 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    I got the Logitech G9 it's alright.
    Dont really think it's worth it for Guild Wars 2

Long term you may regret it.
    Kinda a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    The only expensive peripheral that's actually worth it is a good mechanical keyboard. You can grab a decent one for around $100-150 and then get a $40 Logitech G400 mouse - its one of the few mice with a near-perfect sensor that doesn't have any positive or negative acceleration, and even the newer ones don't have any prediction either.
    I'm reading up on mechanical keyboards now; they do look quite interesting. Which brand are you using? The Steelseries seems to have good reviews on Amazon. (Regarding mouse, I'm actually using a Logitech MX518.)

I've been planning to get a Nostromo/Belkin for ages. They look awesome.

It's not NECESSARY no but it looks like it's fun to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I think the Belkin is the old version of the Nostromo.
    Belkin made it originally, Razer apparently liked it so they bought the rights to make them and named it Nostromo. I think there might be some minor differences but they are basically the same.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2012-06-07 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ellorien View Post
    I'm reading up on mechanical keyboards now; they do look quite interesting. Which brand are you using? The Steelseries seems to have good reviews on Amazon. (Regarding mouse, I'm actually using a Logitech MX518.)
    I'm using http://www.tankguys.com/mechnical-ke...brown-abs.html with PBT keycaps. I'm looking into buying a new one with red switches. Will most likely be a Ducky Shine. Ducky, Filco, Das, and Rosewill are all solid. Haven't kept up on Coolermaster or Corsair to know if theirs are good or not. I've heard decent things about Steelseries' 6gv2, but you're limited to only black switches. Avoid's Razer's Blackwidows at all costs - typical shit Razer quality.