Quote Originally Posted by BigAssBoy View Post
    There is still an episode next week, Nick is just advertizing the season finally.
    Oh, awesome then ^^

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    As for the first part, where is that information from? Kind of strange for a 64 year old Avatar to die peacefully when Avatar Kyoshi lived to over 200 years old. As for the second, we don't know that he did. None of Aang's visions were like Korra's. All of Aang's visions were accompanied by a previous Avatar specifically speaking to and guiding Aang, usually Roku. Korra was able to just see some of Aang's memories.
    avatar.wikia.com, search for timeline and you should be directed to it, look for 153 ASC
    Last edited by Goge; 2012-06-09 at 07:05 PM.

Yes. but Amon doesn't really sound/look 82 years old.
    Playing since 2007.

What if Yakone is Amon? farfetched I know, but maybe after his bending was taken away, he hunted down and found out how Aang energybended. And decided to take away the bending from all other benders as well. It could also explain why he was able to resist Tarrlok's Bloodbending.

As for the first part, where is that information from? Kind of strange for a 64 year old Avatar to die peacefully when Avatar Kyoshi lived to over 200 years old. As for the second, we don't know that he did. None of Aang's visions were like Korra's. All of Aang's visions were accompanied by a previous Avatar specifically speaking to and guiding Aang, usually Roku. Korra was able to just see some of Aang's memories.

He'd be 82 (12 + 70 year gap between TLA and LoK). But, considering Bumi was 112 and still Earthbending like a champ or that Kyoshi was well over 200 when she died, I don't really see that being a problem.

quote from wiki: Eventually, at the age of sixty-six, Aang passed away. His hundred years of being frozen in a state of suspended animation in the Avatar State eventually weighed heavily on his body, and drained much of his life energy during that time.

also... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3chFhCP5mQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfield View Post
    quote from wiki: Eventually, at the age of sixty-six, Aang passed away. His hundred years of being frozen in a state of suspended animation in the Avatar State eventually weighed heavily on his body, and drained much of his life energy during that time.
    As my professors have always gleefully pointed out, any kind of wiki is not a source of information due to the heavy user editing wikis rely on. What is the original source? It would certainly make sense (He'd be 166), but he'd still be younger than Kyoshi was.

EDIT: I just looked it up: there is no source. The only thing that comes close is an interview of Mike and Bryan:

Interviewer: If there’s a new Avatar, that means Aang has passed on. If he died around age 70, isn’t that pretty young for an Avatar?

Konietzko: You gotta keep in mind that he was frozen in a state of suspended animation for 100 years, so he kind of burned up some of his extra Avatar time.

However, that's pretty vague, as Bryan never actually states he died. Just that he burned up some time. Also, that interview was in July 2010. I very much doubt they'd want to spoil anything.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2012-06-09 at 07:13 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by purseuswow View Post
    What if Yakone is Amon? farfetched I know, but maybe after his bending was taken away, he hunted down and found out how Aang energybended. And decided to take away the bending from all other benders as well. It could also explain why he was able to resist Tarrlok's Bloodbending.
    I thought that same thing for a moment, with Yakone being in so many flash backs and all. I mean, for so many episodes it kept putting a lot of emphasis on Yakone on trial. It would be somewhat strange if they were only using that for Tarlok's end of the story since it's already come to a swift end.

But then wouldn't Tarlok know something about his father being Amon? If he did, it could explain his unhappy reaction when Korra compared the two of them. But Tarlok also asked "What are you?" when Amon attacked him. So I don't think that's quite it.

Tarlok:"What are you?"
    Amon:*Deep breathing* *takes off mask* "Your father."
    Tarlok: "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Possible, since we now know Aang didn't kill Yakone, but i think Yakone was sentenced to a lifetime in prison, so he would still be there. I don't see any way he could have gotten out.
    He has the motive though: "If i can't have bending, no one can" and he might have learned the skill from being energy-bended by Aang. But would he really go so far as to take away bending from his own son?

As my professors have always gleefully pointed out, any kind of wiki is not a source of information due to the heavy user editing wikis rely on. What is the original source? It would certainly make sense (He'd be 166), but he'd still be younger than Kyoshi was.
    In a scientific study yes, wiki is not a source. Wiki article could be considered lowest possible form of a study, based on multiple sources.
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vavivo View Post
    I thought that same thing for a moment, with Yakone being in so many flash backs and all. I mean, for so many episodes it kept putting a lot of emphasis on Yakone on trial. It would be somewhat strange if they were only using that for Tarlok's end of the story since it's already come to a swift end.

But then wouldn't Tarlok know something about his father being Amon? If he did, it could explain his unhappy reaction when Korra compared the two of them. But Tarlok also asked "What are you?" when Amon attacked him. So I don't think that's quite it.

Tarlok:"What are you?"
    Amon:*Deep breathing* *takes off mask* "Your father."
    Tarlok: "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!"
    My thinking behind that was, maybe Yakone faked his own death in order to get out of the public's eye. This way he can go around to doing what he wants without everyone looking around for the bloodbending menace that is/was Yakone. This might explain why Tarrlok doesn't know he's alive.

I considered this too, and I guess it's a valid theory (like most others) at this point, but somebody made a few decent arguments against it. Firstly, their voices are fairly different. Secondly, their body types are. And thirdly, Amon appears to be no older than 40-something. Yakone would be at least 70, possibly even 80. But body types can change and it's entirely possible to put on a voice.

Like I said, almost all theories are valid at this point. I'm guessing we'll be able to put some to rest after the season finale, even though I don't imagine we'll find out his identity quite yet. If he was unmasked, I feel like they would have to come up with a new scary twist for him for season 2 unless they bring out a brand new villain (which would seem like a weird choice).

In other, non-spoilery news, am I the only one who expects Book Two to be about learning Metalbending? It would seem only logical, as Korra obviously never learnt it (which is odd to me, shouldn't it be part of the Earthbending training?).

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfield View Post
    In a scientific study yes, wiki is not a source. Wiki article could be considered lowest possible form of a study, based on multiple sources.
    The problem is that there is no original source (I edited my post to point that out). The timeline that states Aang died has no source next to his death date. And, on Aang's page, the only thing that comes close to confirmation that he is dead is a two year old, vague interview with the creators where Byran danced around answering the question directly.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    In other, non-spoilery news, am I the only one who expects Book Two to be about learning Metalbending? It would seem only logical, as Korra obviously never learnt it (which is odd to me, shouldn't it be part of the Earthbending training?).
    I think it's going to be about Korra and her journey into the Spirit World as well as learning how to control the Avatar State. Metalbending may be along the road, but she doesn't know Lightning or Bloodbending either. I doubt Metalbending would get its own season. Perhaps she'll also learn an advanced form of Airbending?
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2012-06-09 at 07:21 PM.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

My thinking behind that was, maybe Yakone faked his own death in order to get out of the public's eye. This way he can go around to doing what he wants without everyone looking around for the bloodbending menace that is/was Yakone. This might explain why Tarrlok doesn't know he's alive.
    Yeah, that sounds still very possible. The only real problem(like mushroombomb said) would be age differences/body types. I guess we'll just have to wait for a little more info on Yakone's fate.

The problem is that there is no original source (I edited my post to point that out). The timeline that states Aang died has no source next to his deathdate. And, on his page, the only thing that comes close to confirmation that he is dead is a two year old, vague interview with the creators where Byran danced around answering the question directly.
    I thought every season would have his own villain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys come on everyone knows that Amon is actually Chin the Conqueror! He was mad at Kiyoshi so he decided to take everyone's bending away so only he could bend.
    Black Lives Matter

I think only people who learn Earthbending in Republic city also learn metalbending.
    Playing since 2007.

I considered this too, and I guess it's a valid theory (like most others) at this point, but somebody made a few decent arguments against it. Firstly, their voices are fairly different. Secondly, their body types are. And thirdly, Amon appears to be no older than 40-something. Yakone would be at least 70, possibly even 80. But body types can change and it's entirely possible to put on a voice.

Like I said, almost all theories are valid at this point. I'm guessing we'll be able to put some to rest after the season finale, even though I don't imagine we'll find out his identity quite yet. If he was unmasked, I feel like they would have to come up with a new scary twist for him for season 2 unless they bring out a brand new villain (which would seem like a weird choice).

I always thought of the bending extensions (Lightning for fire, Metal for earth, and bloodbending for water) to be extensions for only that bending. I forget whether Aang ever actually created lightning. I know he redirected Ozai's but I forget if he created any. Though it could mean that she might learn bloodbending, which may be too dark of a path but it's possible since Katara is still alive. Also she hasn't really learned Airbending yet, unless of course she learns it in the 1 episode before the finale.

I also don't believe that Amon will be revealed or defeated this season. They will most likely have him run off after being beaten senseless by an Avatar State Korra. And they still haven't shown Zuko in the series just yet.

The problem is that there is no original source (I edited my post to point that out). The timeline that states Aang died has no source next to his deathdate. And, on his page, the only thing that comes close to confirmation that he is dead is a two year old, vague interview with the creators where Byran danced around answering the question directly.
    interpretation of sources, interview states that he "used up his spare "Avatary" time", in the show it is stated that he died, two sources backing each other. So basically it is a speculation based on some form of evidence.

What we are discussing here and now is the same thing, it is speculation, until it's proven otherwise it is neither false nor true.

Let's put it this way, people who are connected to Aang that could be connected to Amon. Aang,Ozai,Yakone,Zuko,Tai lee,Sokka,Toph.
    Playing since 2007.

15+ Year Old Account

EDIT: I just looked it up: there is no source. The only thing that comes close is an interview of Mike and Bryan:

Interviewer: If there’s a new Avatar, that means Aang has passed on. If he died around age 70, isn’t that pretty young for an Avatar?

Konietzko: You gotta keep in mind that he was frozen in a state of suspended animation for 100 years, so he kind of burned up some of his extra Avatar time.

However, that's pretty vague, as Bryan never actually states he died. Just that he burned up some time. Also, that interview was in July 2010. I very much doubt they'd want to spoil anything.
    There is a source to it....on the official Nick website for Korra.

If you go to the Flash info on the site, places, and people go to Aang Memorial Island and select Aang Memorial Statue. At the bottom of the description it says

Before Aang's death, he instructed the White Lotus to protect the next Avatar incarnation. At the age of 66, Avatar Aang passed. The Avatar spirit is reincarnated as a girl from the Southern Water Tribe and the Legend of Korra begins.