Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Wife sues husbands doctor after he dies cheating on her

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...cid=todmsnbc11

Kind of an inexplicable story really, I mean her husband is off with a friend having a "three way", he dies of a heart problem, and his widow get three million dollars, and won? I mean sure you could say it was negligence on the doctors fault, but I'm sure he did warn him that his heart was having some kind of issues with the complaints he had, and even if he did not, its not his fault the guy decided to go and do this!

He could have just as easily died running after a criminal, if he had those symptoms during a checkup (which is apparently extremely probable) the doctor should have detected them and warned him. I don't see why it matters what the guy was doing...

In a magic world, that woman would have loss that case and had been put in jail for burdening the legal and the healthcare system.
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2012-06-12 at 01:16 AM.

Uh. I see nothing wrong with this.

The guy had a heart condition undiagnosed by his doctor. The doctor was negligent, considering the patient was a police officer who would be very physical on his job. The fact it was a adultering three-way has nothing to do with anything, it's just the media using it make a story seem more interesting than it really is.

10+ Year Old Account
    And people wonder why their health insurance is so expensive. Lawsuits with no motive beyond money grubbing are a massive reason why there is so much inflation in the health care system overall.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 02:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    In a magic world, that woman would have loss that case and had been put in jail for burdening the legal and the healthcare system.
    I highly doubt that the sentence will stand for long.. not going by the information presented. Doctors cannot catch everything, its literally impossible.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 02:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post

The guy had a heart condition undiagnosed by his doctor. The doctor was negligent, considering the patient was a police officer who would be very physical on his job. The fact it was a adultering three-way has nothing to do with anything, it's just the media using it make a story seem more interesting than it really is.
    If the doctor can be considered negligent for this, than I consider it completely ethical and reasonable for every doctor to prescribe as many random tests as they want. If the patient has extra money, why not check their bone marrow? If they don't, they might be sued for negligence for some obscure disease with no presentation, and they have the money to support it after all. Maybe every single person should undergo a few thousand dollars worth of tests every single month, just to be safe. What's your money and time compared to the potential for being sick?
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-06-12 at 01:21 AM.

He was 40% responsible for his own death? That seems arbitrary. Lawsuits like this are the reason for the insane cost of healthcare in the US, a few people get rich and the rest of the population suffers.

If the doctor can be considered negligent for this, than I consider it completely ethical and reasonable for every doctor to prescribe as many random tests as they want. If the patient has extra money, why not check their bone marrow? If they don't, they might be sued for negligence for some obscure disease with no presentation, and they have the money to support it after all. Maybe every single person should undergo a few thousand dollars worth of tests every single month, just to be safe. What's your money and time compared to the potential for being sick?
    Martinez’s widow claimed Gangasani did not properly diagnose Martinez’s high blood pressure, chest pains, shortness of breath and irregular heartbeat, and that he did not order Martinez to avoid strenuous physical activity until more tests could be done.
    I guess you didn't bother reading the article and you're just shitting yourself because 'oh no someone sued a doctor FUCK AMERICA'.

I'm not going to argue that too much suing, especially of medical personal, goes on in this country and that it IS ruining our country, but it's just 3 million. It's really not that much, especially when you consider someone died due to being undiagnosed with symptoms like these. Also, being a doctor is more than 'taking care of people', you have to know who your patients are and really work and making sure all their bases are covered. This guy was a police officer, and if he was having such symptoms the doctor should have done something about it.

It's easy to just say "Well, clearly the person suing for all that money is the one in the wrong here!" because often times it is, but that doesn't mean everyone who gets sued is some poor soul who's just being picked on when they didn't do anything wrong.

That's absolutely ignorant. I work in the medical field and the thought that one person could find every idiopathic problem is absurd. They are doctors not gods. A simple er visit is 500 dollars not including any tests. It's ignorant people out there expecting people in the medical field to figure out all the problems but not wanting to foot the bills. If he wanted more tests run than the standard troponin and EKG that is usually run than he should have asked for every test that can be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you didn't bother reading the article and you're just shitting yourself because 'oh no someone sued a doctor FUCK AMERICA'.

I'm not going to argue that too much suing, especially of medical personal, goes on in this country and that it IS ruining our country, but it's just 3 million. It's really not that much, especially when you consider someone died due to being undiagnosed with symptoms like these. Also, being a doctor is more than 'taking care of people', you have to know who your patients are and really work and making sure all their bases are covered. This guy was a police officer, and if he was having such symptoms the doctor should have done something about it.

It's easy to just say "Well, clearly the person suing for all that money is the one in the wrong here!" because often times it is, but that doesn't mean everyone who gets sued is some poor soul who's just being picked on when they didn't do anything wrong.
    I did read it. The article did not go into depth enough about the man's medical presentation. Its very easy to skew the facts after all is said in done, in order to win a court case.. or do you think no one has ever misrepresented a situation in order to get a lot of money? Whats more, it says "did not properly diagnose..." do you have any idea of the range of possibilities that includes? Certain medications are pretty much standard if a doctor even suspects a condition; if you're presented X, you prescribe Y. Also, a doctor can only work within the scope presented during an examination.. if the officer presented as normal and healthy during the exam, than there would be nothing to lead the doctor to believe there was something worth looking into further.

15+ Year Old Account
    That is some insanely good revenge against the husband, really. He cheats on her, dies because of it, and she gets 3 mil from his corpse. That's poetic justice right there.

More seirously...I think she only won this case because the dude was a cop. "he could of died chasing a criminal" is an extremely compelling case because then that criminal gets away, and then what? He harms you, or at least your community. If this dude was a CPA I don't think anyone would have cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    That is some insanely good revenge against the husband, really. He cheats on her, dies because of it, and she gets 3 mil from his corpse. That's poetic justice right there.

More seirously...I think she only won this case because the dude was a cop. "he could of died chasing a criminal" is an extremely compelling case because then that criminal gets away, and then what? He harms you, or at least your community. If this dude was a CPA I don't think anyone would have cared.

yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I did read it. The article did not go into depth enough about the man's medical presentation. Its very easy to skew the facts after all is said in done, in order to win a court case.. or do you think no one has ever misrepresented a situation in order to get a lot of money? Whats more, it says "did not properly diagnose..." do you have any idea of the range of possibilities that includes? Certain medications are pretty much standard if a doctor even suspects a condition; if you're presented X, you prescribe Y. Also, a doctor can only work within the scope presented during an examination.. if the officer presented as normal and healthy during the exam, than there would be nothing to lead the doctor to believe there was something worth looking into further.
    the justice system is never right and this poor doctor was 100% for sure unable to do anything more than he did!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    the justice system is never right and this poor doctor was 100% for sure unable to do anything more than he did!!!!!!!!
    This has nothing to do with the justice system... it has to do with the fact that a doctor can be sued if he is anything short of perfect and lucky. Do you think the doctor should have followed him around 24/7?

Deleted
    I don't get what the threeway of that guy has to do with the case. Shouldn't that be handled more privately?
    Not to mention, that it is stupid to sue a doctor fpr 3 millions, because he didn't diagnose something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekrus View Post
    A simple er visit is 500 dollars not including any tests.
    You have to pay to visit the hospital for an emergency? o.O

I don't know enough about this case but I can imagine the widow's actions were spurred by embarrassment and bitterness as much as they were by thoughts of malpractice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you fucking serious? Please tell me this is a joke?
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Or maybe the Doctor should go to jail for failing to diagnose a tax payer, resulting in burdening the whole country.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    I think the big thing here is:When did he last have a physical check-up?
    Surely the time between check-up and death is important, if he had not gone to get checked up for a long period, how could the doctor of warned the cop about his heart condition.

Also lets not forget he is cheating on his wife, therefore he doesn't tell his wife everything, so he may of known he had it from a while ago when it wasn't as bad and just not told his wife.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's an article heading you're never going to see again...
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Or maybe the Doctor should go to jail for failing to diagnose a tax payer, resulting in burdening the whole country.
    Doctors are, shockingly enough, human beings and as such are not perfect. They do miss things and make mistakes, the same as you or I. Unfortunately in their line of work the consequences can be life threatening or fatal, so no pressure.
    Last edited by mmoc387c4faec3; 2012-06-13 at 09:42 AM. Reason: poor punctuation