CPU Cooler for i5-2500K

Hey.

Looking for a CPU cooler to go with my i5-2500k, I've had the PC for a while now(6 months) and I need to re-install Windows on it(Due to all browsers not working properly).

Anyway. The Cooler should be:
    1. Silent
    2. High performance
    3. Not water cooling

I'm looking to go to about 4.3-4.5 GHz OC with the cooler.

My setup:
    i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
    Asus P8P67 WS Revolution, LGA1155
    Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
    8GB(2x 4GB) Kingston 1333MHz
    Corsair 650W 650TX v2 ATX2.2
    CM Storm ATX case(don't remember the exact model #)

Thanks!

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 (really silent, very good performance at low [<33%] overclocks)
    Noctua NH-D14 (looks fantastic, but is huge, has great performance, but is expensive. Reasonable quiet)
    Xigmatek Gaia (inexpensive, good performance)

I've got both the NH-D14 and a DirectCu II cooler, and the TX650. The TX650 is the loudest component in my build, followed by the CPU-cooler and some awful Gentle Typhoon-fans.
    &nbsp;

I'd have to disagree on the noctua looking fantastic, the fans match absolutely nothing but they let you know brown and pink noctua!!! Its performance is the only thing carrying that big gaudy Bette Midler jewelry that sits in your pc, beyond performance plain and simple it looks like roger waters in your pc.

Deleted
    NH-D14

Pros:
    Silent
    Awsome cooling
    Easy to install

Cons:
    Expensive
    It's Huge and could have issues with large ram heatsinks

I have this cooler and cannot fault it in any way.

Deleted
    I know you said no waterclooling but have a look at this its a closed system you don't need to worry about water at all, just as simple as installing any cpu cooler, i have it on same cpu as you overclocked to 4.6 GHz.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-002-OP&tool=3

I have the same CPU as you and use the Thermaltake Frio. My temps are fantastic: 24C idle and never above 40C at 100% load. It's not super silent (I use both 120mm fans on it) but it's very reasonable.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I'm using the noctua U12P-SE2, is is basically the D14's little brother as it only has one radiator. It costs 30-40 dollars less and keeps my 1.32V 2500K around 60°C (+/- a couple of degrees, it's been a while) when subjected to P95 stress levels. It is also very, very quiet, and if it isn't quiet enough, it comes with two resistors to reduce the voltage even further. Very easy to install too, and the instruction pamphlet is very clearly written. It also comes with a syringe of their NT-H1 thermal compound.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-06-13 at 12:06 PM.

I use COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO and I am very satisfied with it.
    It is quiet, it gets cpu temps really low and it is cheaper than the coolers mentioned above, in europe price is below 40 euros and you may check some reviews to see for yourself.

product link
    http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...roduct_id=3053

---------- Post added 2012-06-13 at 03:22 PM ----------

Another note about using vent or liquid coolers... the best component might fail so I do not recommend liquid cooling because if it fails, it will start leaking so you might endanger the rest of your hardware........... on the other hand if your vent cooler is not working properly, you just replace it.

Alright guys, I'll take a closer look at all those coolers when I get home from work(Phone ._.).

What type of thermal paste do you recommend also? I know there are different materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Alright guys, I'll take a closer look at all those coolers when I get home from work(Phone ._.).

What type of thermal paste do you recommend also? I know there are different materials.
    Usually comes with the cooler.
    Otherwise, Arctic Silver 5
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Hey.

Looking for a CPU cooler to go with my i5-2500k, I've had the PC for a while now(6 months) and I need to re-install Windows on it(Due to all browsers not working properly).

Anyway. The Cooler should be:
    1. Silent
    2. High performance
    3. Not water cooling

I'm looking to go to about 4.3-4.5 GHz OC with the cooler.

My setup:
    i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
    Asus P8P67 WS Revolution, LGA1155
    Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
    8GB(2x 4GB) Kingston 1333MHz
    Corsair 650W 650TX v2 ATX2.2
    CM Storm ATX case(don't remember the exact model #)

Thanks!
    As you are looking for a cooler with those 3 pref. then there is only one way to go and thats Noctua NH-D14. I use it myself on the same CPU as yours and I'm running at 4.6 GHz at around 65 cel. stresstemp. It is a silent monster...

Yea it's a bit pricy, big and not so good looking. But it beats all fancoolers on the market atm (only a couple others are equal or very close to it. Thermalright silver arrow is one of them. Only way to get noticable better temps would be fully fleshed custombuild watercooling system.

EDIT: Plus Noctua has awsome customer service.
    Last edited by Belial; 2012-06-13 at 12:57 PM.

I use a Xigmatek Gaia for my i5and it is awesome. I am not overclocked but I rarely see over 40 degrees when I am gaming. I never notice it and it was really easy to install and not expensive either.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X - Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - PSU: Cooler Master 1000W 80+ Gold - CPU: Intel i7 4930K - GPU: EVGA GTX690 - RAM - G Skill Ripjaw 16gb (4x4) @2133 Cooling - Corsair Hydro H100i - HDD: Western Digital CB 500gb and 1TB - SSD: Intel 128gb

Okay. I've looked at the processors,

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Are the ones I am interested in.

Many of you suggested the NH-D14, but it doesn't seem to support LGA1155 socket :/(Only LGA775, LGA1156, LGA1366, AM3, AM2+, AM2)
    I will take a closer look at those 2 through some Youtube reviews possibly and look around the Google for info.

At my local Internet store, they go for 24.00€ for the Arctic Cooling and 39.00€ for the CoolerMaster.
    I've heard a lot about the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO and people have recommended it. Will have to see the reviews and sizes of them

Deleted
    the thermalright macho would be a option too

Many of you suggested the NH-D14, but it doesn't seem to support LGA1155 socket :/(Only LGA775, LGA1156, LGA1366, AM3, AM2+, AM2)
    LGA 1155 and 1156 have exactly the same external dimensions. You can use an 1156 cooler with an 1155 socket and vice-versa. The only reason LGA 1155 is not listed is that the product manual and boxing material was printed before the 1155 socket was released.

Deleted
    I'm using a Gelid Tranquillo on mine, it's come highly recommended in the past, and is insanely quiet, even at it's top speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    LGA 1155 and 1156 have exactly the same external dimensions. You can use an 1156 cooler with an 1155 socket and vice-versa. The only reason LGA 1155 is not listed is that the product manual and boxing material was printed before the 1155 socket was released.
    I see, thanks for the clarification on that! I'll look at the NH-D14!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    I'm using a Gelid Tranquillo on mine, it's come highly recommended in the past, and is insanely quiet, even at it's top speed.
    Unfortunately, I cannot find that product at the site I want to buy the cooler at

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Balleny View Post
    the thermalright macho would be a option too
    I will take a look at that too, looks good so far
    Last edited by Tehterokkar; 2012-06-13 at 02:18 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just built a very similar system to yours (only difference is that I went with a 670 gpu) and I went with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212. I considered the NH-D14, but ultimately I didn't think the performance increase was worth the extra cost. It just seemed to be overkill.