Deleted
    saw an dungeon boss with the mayans, LOOKED AWESOME, cant wait for this game. love it. every game cant be perfect, love the questing unique investigation and thinking, combat can get better im sure it will

MMORPG is doing a beta key give away. There are about 5k left!!

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/...y-Handout.html

Grabbed my key, thanks. Hope my laptop will handle it
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    Balance is a myth my dear. Fools gold.
    In a game with any RNG elements, especially one with as many as TSW, yes. Doubly so when the game isn't developed from the ground up to have a heavy focus on PvP since that's much more difficult to balance than PvE.

However, there can still be some semblance of balance, and developers can always be actively working to promote better balance. Ignoring it does not good, and not having the proper tools to work on it is even worse.

Right now PvP is pretty shitty. It was fun at lower gear levels, but the higher you get, it gets worse. There was rumor they were going to equalize damage and healing output to prevent imbalance, but it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    In a game with any RNG elements, especially one with as many as TSW, yes. Doubly so when the game isn't developed from the ground up to have a heavy focus on PvP since that's much more difficult to balance than PvE.

However, there can still be some semblance of balance, and developers can always be actively working to promote better balance. Ignoring it does not good, and not having the proper tools to work on it is even worse.
    What I found out from a dev post is that TSW, damage wise is balanced on the idea that they want players to push boundaries. That means that there are maximum damage/mitigation/healing targets. So no matter how good of a build you have it should never do more than X amount of dmg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any info on the new char creator? Will we be seeing it this friday?
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Right now PvP is pretty shitty. It was fun at lower gear levels, but the higher you get, it gets worse. There was rumor they were going to equalize damage and healing output to prevent imbalance, but it's not going to happen.
    How do you participate in pvp really? I read the last beta weekend before release would include pvp so didn't think it would be available this weekend.
    When and how can you take part? Will be good to know since me and my friends all got the nvidia beta key for this beta event =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    The CBT is under maintenance that just got extended for 2 hours. It's a pretty hefty patch so most likely this will be the weekend beta patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    How do you participate in pvp really? I read the last beta weekend before release would include pvp so didn't think it would be available this weekend.
    When and how can you take part? Will be good to know since me and my friends all got the nvidia beta key for this beta event =)
    Normally, once you reach Kingsmouth you can PVP by clicking on the crossed swords button on the minimap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    *snip*

Opps did I say something I shouldn't?

Yeah you did, there's a NDA so please respect it. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-06-13 at 04:51 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    You will want to make your way through the opening sequences until you are introduced to Agartha. You'll want to keep an eye on your email and the official forums for announcements.

On the topic of clothing being reskinned/recolored: news flash... that's basically how clothing is made irl. Same patterns and cuts, different colors. At the risk of sounding inane, beta is beta.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-06-13 at 05:21 PM.

i think what would worry me most about this game, if i understand correctly, is the sheer amount of points to be earned. it reminds me of everquest AAs. not in the strict sense, but in the sense that a year from now, a new player has a serious disadvantage due to the sheer amount of points needed to be earned to be on a level playing field.

man, if you took a hiatus in everquest and didn't keep your AA count up, you could fall behind fast.

i think my wife would like this game but not this aspect of it. am i wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfin View Post
    i think what would worry me most about this game, if i understand correctly, is the sheer amount of points to be earned. it reminds me of everquest AAs. not in the strict sense, but in the sense that a year from now, a new player has a serious disadvantage due to the sheer amount of points needed to be earned to be on a level playing field.

man, if you took a hiatus in everquest and didn't keep your AA count up, you could fall behind fast.

i think my wife would like this game but not this aspect of it. am i wrong?
    Well, assuming you took your hiatus after you finished the first story line in New England, you would have accumulated and spent enough points to easily pick back up and not be too far behind. It's really not like "OH CRAP I MISSED 3 RAIDS I'M BEHIND!!" Anyone who has played the open weekend betas should've noticed gear is based on "QL" So, QL10 is the highest QL available in game. Same levels those. Normal, Uncommon, Rare, Epic. You should be fine to do any instant suitable for your QL in uncommon gear. You don't need to be decked out in "purples".
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-13 at 06:39 PM.

Yeah you won't be penalized so much since this isn't a speed-grind game. You'll still have to grind out XP, but it's not like you're suddenly way behind everyone else.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna try this...

Hope I don't regret it.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    I'm gonna try this...

Hope I don't regret it.
    Just approach it as its own game in beta (instead of comparing it to anything else) and you may not consider it a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Well, assuming you took your hiatus after you finished the first story line in New England, you would have accumulated and spent enough points to easily pick back up and not be too far behind. It's really not like "OH CRAP I MISSED 3 RAIDS I'M BEHIND!!" Anyone who has played the open weekend betas should've noticed gear is based on "QL" So, QL10 is the highest QL available in game. Same levels those. Normal, Uncommon, Rare, Epic. You should be fine to do any instant suitable for your QL in uncommon gear. You don't need to be decked out in "purples".
    i think i explained badly or something or just don't understand. i'm thinking about the SP someone was mentioning. that go up to like 1155 'levels'. i wasn't meaning anything gear related. gear really isn't ever much of an issue. but SP sounds like AA abilities in EQ. which, at end, when i left, i think i had a couple thousand. new people going into EQ would have to have a few thousand to be competitive in end game, and it's a huge time sink.

worried these SP sound similar. sorry if it's a total non issue. honestly, this doesn't sound like my kind of game but the puzzle part would be something my wife might enjoy immensely. unfortunately, she would play fairly sporadic, and if SPs sound like i think they sound (like she'd fall behind in a year if most people had 500-1000SP but she only had say 200) then that wouldn't be so good.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    MMORPG is doing a beta key give away. There are about 5k left!!

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/...y-Handout.html
    Thanks for the heads up!

My days of buying any game without demoing or "beta testing" it first pretty much died in 2011.

From what I understand, at some point more SPs don't make your character more powerful, but give you more choices. There are 12 skill "trees". Obviously you won't be using all 12, but like 2-3 at a time. You would probably need like 100-150 SPs to max out the 7 active and 7 passive skills of your choice. After that any additional SP can be spent to unlock additional abilities and trees, which you will be able to swap later.

To me it looks like you choose some trees in the beginning (like a class) and start unlocking their skills. At some point you unlock all (like reaching max level in that class), and can start unlocking additional trees (like making and leveling an alt in another class, to which you can switch at any time)
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing in this post breaks NDA. These are taken from the previous open weekend beta and a simple Google search.

Skills:

Your skills affect your gear. Meaning if you do not upgrade your blade you can't use higher level blades. They also provide passive buffs depending on the tree. Each weapon has two trees and your talismans (armor) have 1 tree. All skill trees are fully available to all characters. You just have to unlock each previous level to advance. If you put points into Pistols it doesn't lock out the other trees. You can't skip straight to skill level 5 without having 1,2,3,4 unlocked. Each level requires that amount of SP to unlock.

Level 1 = 1 SP
    Level 2 = 2 SP
    Level 3 = 3 SP
    Level 4 = 4 SP
    Level 5 = 5 SP
    Level 6 = 6 SP
    Level 7 = 7 SP
    Level 8 = 8 SP
    Level 9 = 9 SP
    Level 10 = 10 SP
    Total SP per tree = 55 SP per tree

You can put points into any tree at anytime given you have the proper amount to spend. If you want to put 1 SP into EVERY SINGLE tree then you can. What I did during the open weekend betas was upgrade my talismans and weapons in order. So, Head -> Major -> Minor -> Weapon 1 -> Weapon 2 and then repeat that order.

Abilities:

Abilities work similarly. There are 3 main trees. Ranged, Melee, Magic. Each Tree has 3 weapons. Each weapon has 2 main trees that must be fully unlocked to get to the 6 advanced trees for the weapon. Then there are 3 "misc" trees that coincide with a roll "tank, healer, dps". Each ability must be unlocked before you can move down the tree. So, in this picture in order to get the "Experience" ability you need to purchase all of the previous abilities. Once again, you are not locked to any one weapon. If you want to put points in all the weapons then you can, you just won't reach the elite abilities as fast. You can use any active ability as long as you have the proper weapon equipped and you can use any passive regardless of weapon.

There is an AP and SP cap. You can't just stock them up and to be honest there is no reason to not spend them as soon as possible. You gain them so fast.

I hope this answers some questions.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-06-13 at 09:56 PM.