Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

$10,000 Shows up in Bank Account.

Alright so, this is a little bizarre but here we go.

I have a friend of mine who checked their bank account recently and realized they had $10,000 in additional funds. Checking statements someone apparently made a check deposit to the account three months ago.

Granted, I'm surprised they didn't notice it sooner, but they are notoriously bad at checking their account because they spend less than they earn so they're always in the black.

No one in the family has deposited it, and there is no one that they know that would have. After checking with the bank, it's apparently not a computer error. It was a legitimate deposit, and it's not like they didn't need it. There are no crimes or anything related to that amount, and it seems to be completely string-free. The bank has since given the go-ahead.

My question to you is, what would you do if someone gave you $10,000 for no apparent reason under these circumstances? Meaning: The bank says it's clear and it's really, really, all yours.

I am NOT seeking advice for my friend. I don't know the deep details (neither do I care enough to ask for them from him), this isn't my deal. I'm just sharing something crazy, and asking what things people would do if it happened to them.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2012-06-15 at 01:43 AM.

Trade in my car and upgrade

15+ Year Old Account
    I would first make it really legal so they can't give me a bill for spending it. Then I would ofcourse spend it.

contact the bank to see if its a banking error, go through past contacts to make sure none of them are shady, and lastly if both those check out clean assume I have 10k setting in the bank.

Check with the bank. Can I keep it? If yes then move it to savings (presuming there's no current emergency requiring money).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Hide the body?...
    dispatch the body in a batch of acid?

I'd go on a shopping spree, game's, tv's etc!
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would seriously just inquire about it with my local bank and in the end probably have it taken away. Not much in life is free and im an honest soul.

better clear with the bank that it is in fact your money.

if so...

if u have any debt. put it toward that. interest rates on debt almost always outpace any money u could make from putting it in savings.
    if not in debt. put into savings / invest it.

Deleted
    I would first drop my jaw through the ground.

Then I would check if it is legit.

Then I would spend it. A new computer, driving lessons, and a car. Rest saving up.

The bank can put a trace on the cheque and see what account it was written from. Unless the person has 100% given their consent to using that money you have to assume it's an error and it shouldn't be there.

If your friend spends the money and the person who wrote the original cheque goes looking for his money your friend and the bank may be on the hook for it.

Just checking it as much as I can to make sure it's not fraud of any kind. Otherwise, I'll just put it in my savings. Until someone comes up and says it there's, it'll be in there helping my savings grow.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

Deleted
    Can't they trace from which bank account it came from btw? OP?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would quickly withdraw the money and invest it all in penny stocks!! 50% chance to either win big or lose it all.

But seriously I would withdraw it and spend it on something nice, probably take a long vacation with some friends. You didn't have the money and you're not losing any money, so I would enjoy it. After all why have money if you can't enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    I would quickly withdraw the money and invest it all in penny stocks!! 50% chance to either win big or lose it all.

But seriously I would withdraw it and spend it on something nice, probably take a long vacation with some friends. You didn't have the money and you're not losing any money, so I would enjoy it. After all why have money if you can't enjoy it?
    Because it could be someone else's money and you could get sued for spending it?

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    dispatch the body in a batch of acid?

I'd go on a shopping spree, game's, tv's etc!
    Make sure you get the right plastic container and don't dispatch of it in the bathtub.

Honestly, I'd try to find out who it was that deposited the money. If I can't find the owner, it's going to sit there for a while. No one just deposits ten thousand dollars to a random account.

Your friend seriously needs to do some more investigating. He should have the bank contact the original person who wrote the check and ensure that it was legit. Odds are there was an error when processing the check and it get deposited to the wrong account. I'm not talking about a computer glitch, but a human error. People don't get money for doing nothing.

Presuming I went through everything and had no reason to think the money would be taken out, I would pay off my car and maybe trade it in for a new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Report it to the bank. Don't ruin your life for $10,000.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Can't they trace from which bank account it came from btw? OP?
    I asked if the bank checked all their bases, and apparently they did, if they released the identity of who deposited it to them my friend hasn't told me who it is (neither will I pry, it's not really my business). Right now my friend is adamant that they have no idea who the person is but the bank has confirmed several times the money is theirs.

It's my PERSONAL suspicion that it might be an older member of their family that wished not to be identified (because there is one member of their family that has the pull to do that).
    Last edited by Uennie; 2012-06-15 at 01:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    I believe if there is no mistake on the bank's end you have to wait like 90 days then you are off scott free with it. I'd help my mom out, and pay off some bills of my own.

Deleted
    If you don't know what to use it for now, don't use it. Save it. Don't spend it.

You need to be able to know who put the money on your account, or you have a very shady bank. It's your account, you can demand it. I'd be extremely suspicious.