Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Check with the bank. A simple google search will tell you that this has happened before and even though people have declared the money not their own after a long time of the banks themselves telling them it is, they spend it and then all of a sudden go to jail.

Its very messed up, what do you think they will do when you/your friend spend it without reporting it? Goodbye.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spend it, you're not at fault here so w/e. My guess is they wouldn't send you the bill even then because it would be really hard to prosecute in court.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by redruMPanda View Post
    I believe if there is no mistake on the bank's end you have to wait like 90 days then you are off scott free with it. I'd help my mom out, and pay off some bills of my own.
    The "90 day rule" is completely fictitious. It may take the bank longer than 90 days to clear up errors. I deal with bank errors all the time at work (I work in a public accounting firm) and they regularily take months and months to figure out because of the sheer volume the bank has to go through.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    I asked if the bank checked all their bases, and apparently they did, if they released the identity of who deposited it to them my friend hasn't told me who it is (neither will I pry, it's not really my business). Right now my friend is adamant that they have no idea who the person is but the bank has confirmed several times the money is theirs.

It's my PERSONAL suspicion that it might be an older member of their family that wished not to be identified (because there is one member of their family that has the pull to do that).
    let the bank make that black on white, so if anythign goes wrong your friend has some papers. For the rest

i clear my debts if any, else i upgrade my pc and rest goes to savings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Spend it, you're not at fault here so w/e. If they send you the bill it'll be really hard to prosecute in court.
    No, no it wont. You WILL go to jail for grand theft if they did find out what happened and you WILL regret it.

http://www.money.co.uk/article/10050...nk-account.htm
    Last edited by mmoc1dc6da2fe2; 2012-06-15 at 01:31 AM.

i would either buy precious metals(they will ALWAYS get more valuable in the long run), or see if there wasnt some government reclaimed house i could get super cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Save half, spend the rest; Vacation or something, doesn't matter. For every windfall you get follow that rule.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Knew It View Post
    No, no it wont. You WILL go to jail for grand theft if they did find out what happened and you WILL regret it.
    Grand theft of what? Someone deposited money on your account it's they're damn responsibility. You didn't make them do it and you didn't steal it from them. No this isn't so clear cut, you could say you thought it was a relative or w/e. It wouldn't fly, if I give my money to some guy by mistake and he spends it I'm fucked, well this is the same.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

I know you mean this to be a fun hypothetical, but:
    1) Report it to the bank;
    2) Report it to the local authorities under the "lost and found" law in your area (some have 60 days, some 90 days);
    3) Withdraw all my funds from the account and leave the $10,000 in it, have the bank put a freeze on the account if they can;
    4) Open a new account at another bank;
    5) Pull up credit reports and look for anything suspicious;
    6) ?? WAIT.........and don't get my hopes up to profit

Accidental deposits, even when the bank states it's yours free and clear, are not fun to deal with. Co-worker was charged numerous times and had to go to court to get the charges dismissed because some idiot lotto player kept making deposits into an account with misprinted checks (printed by 3rd party with silly Disney or Nascar designs). In the end, my co-worker had to eat her attorney's fees and reimburse the bank even though she never touched a cent of it.

Now, if this was cash found on the street here in Chicago.......I might as well burn it or hide it under my bed because if I turn it over it over to CPD I can kiss it goodbye. No way that will still be there after 90 days because one of them will have claimed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this is great and all, but as I've said the bank has completely cleared the money of any fraud or theft concerns. It was deposited as a check to my friend's name, to their bank account number. There has been no mistake. So, can we move on to people not being worrywarts?

I asked if the bank checked all their bases, and apparently they did, if they released the identity of who deposited it to them my friend hasn't told me who it is (neither will I pry, it's not really my business). Right now my friend is adamant that they have no idea who the person is but the bank has confirmed several times the money is theirs.

It's my PERSONAL suspicion that it might be an older member of their family that wished not to be identified (because there is one member of their family that has the pull to do that).
    Impossible, if it was deposited via check, your friend can just ask the bank for a photo copy of the check, any check even a cashiers check will have the name of the person depositing the funds.

Imo, you friend is full of shit. I'll bet his cousin has a hoverboard like marty mcfly too right? lol

15+ Year Old Account
    All this is great and all, but as I've said the bank has completely cleared the money of any fraud or theft concerns. It was deposited as a check to my friend's name, to their bank account number. There has been no mistake. So, can we move on to people not being worrywarts?
    Then it's his, THE END. Enjoy
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's good to know the whimsical question and reason for starting the thread is so easily answered haha.

Spend all of it.

-> Owner wonders where 10,000$ went.

-> you have to give it back.

-> you can't since you spent it.

-> jail.

Deleted
    Grand theft of what? Someone deposited money on your account it's they're damn responsibility. You didn't make them do it and you didn't steal it from them. No this isn't so clear cut, you could say you thought it was a relative or w/e. It wouldn't fly, if I give my money to some guy by mistake and he spends it I'm fucked, well this is the same.
    Spending money that is not rightfully yours is stealing. Im sorry, but the big boy world isnt actually run by finders keepers losers weepers.

Especially if you acknowledge that the money is not yours and you were not expecting it.

Duck Tales 2, Little Samson, Rescue Rangers 2, Power Blade 2, Zombie Nation, Snow Bros... Hello completed NES collection!

10+ Year Old Account
    I still honestly wouldn't trust that, but that is your decision. What to do next: Until you can identify the source keep it in the bank but use it to your advantage. Put it in a term deposit and make money from the interest.

It doesn't have to be theft. If he actually does have this 10k in his account, most likely the person making the deposit just wrote the wrong account number on the deposit slip. And if thats the case, your buddy will have to pay it back.

How long ago did your friend report it to the bank? Who are you talking to, the minimum wage teller? These things take months to clear up, not just a few days.