Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PayPal vs Battle.net Balance?

Sorry if this has already been asked/answer, but I couldn't find a thread about it on here and the battle.net FAQ page is down.

What's the difference? Does using a Paypal account allow you to spend any money you make off the RMAH on things other than blizzard games ie other games/bills etc?

Is the 15% transaction fee you're charged when sending money to the Paypal account just like the 15% fee with gold purchases? Or is it an ADDITIONAL 15% fee? ie 15% less just for making the sale, and less a further 15% for sending it to Paypal instead of battle.net balance.

If you use battle.net balance can it be used to purchase blizzard games? ie starcraft 2 expansion/wow game time?

Basically I'm looking for a generic list of advantages/disadvantages for each option to help myself and others decide which would be best.

You buy things with b.net balance. If you want to buy something, you have to put money there, either from paypal or another source.

The difference is, you can make real money sending your sales to paypal. If you send money into b.net you can only spend it on AH or other Blizz products and never cash it out.

The fee is an additional fee. You pay $1(equipment) or 15%(commodities) and that's all if you go to b.net balance, if you choose to cash out to Paypal it is an additional 15%.

There are several things you can buy with cash in your b.net balance, games, items in WoW, I think even sub time in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Battle.net CANNOT be cashed out and is only usable on Blizzard Purchases. Pay-pal is YOUR money so it has an additional fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The fee is an additional fee. You pay $1(equipment) or 15%(commodities) and that's all if you go to b.net balance, if you choose to cash out to Paypal it is an additional 15%.
    Sorry just to clarify, so if I'm selling equipment, the fee would be -15% of the sale price -$1?
    And for selling commodities it would be -15% of the sale price minus an additional 15%?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You buy things with b.net balance. If you want to buy something, you have to put money there, either from paypal or another source.

The difference is, you can make real money sending your sales to paypal. If you send money into b.net you can only spend it on AH or other Blizz products and never cash it out.

There are several things you can buy with cash in your b.net balance, games, items in WoW, I think even sub time in WoW.
    Just FYI, you can't use the battle.net balance to buy wow subscriptions. You can use it to buy wow server transfers and other paid services but not game time.

10+ Year Old Account
    would be nice if you could use it to buy game time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    would be nice if you could use it to buy game time.
    Would be funny to pay off an AP with money from the D3 RMAH lol.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Would be funny to pay off an AP with money from the D3 RMAH lol.
    you can do it.....via paypal....then use paypal credit card FUCK YEAH!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    Sorry just to clarify, so if I'm selling equipment, the fee would be -15% of the sale price -$1?
    And for selling commodities it would be -15% of the sale price minus an additional 15%?
    The transaction fees are $1.00 for gear and 15% for commodities, and it's taken only when an item sells. The transfer fee when cashing out to PayPal is 15%. You choose whether you want the proceeds to go to Battle.net Balance or to PayPal when you put an item up for sale, and it shows you the fees on the screen.

If you cash out to PayPal, your profit is: (sale price - transaction fee) - transfer fee, or in other words (X-1)*0.85 for gear and (X*0.85)*0.85 or X*0.7225 for commodities, where X is the sale price.

Gear: (X-1)*0.85
    Commodities: X*0.7225

So, for example, if you sell something for $5, if it's a piece of gear, first you subtract the transaction fee $1, then multiply the $4 that's left over by 0.85, and you'll end up with $3.40 on your PayPal account. If it's commodities, then you multiply the $5 with 0.7225 which handles both the transaction and transfer fees, and you'll end up with $3.61 on your PayPal account.

For a sale of $20 it would be $16.15 for gear and $14.45 for commodities. For a sale of $100 it would be $84.15 for gear and $72.25 for commodities.

Also, just as a small tidbit, if you want to figure out what the price of an item was before the 15% was taken from it in the gold auction house, you divide it by 0.85. I see some people multiplying the gold they got by 1.15 and thus trying to get the actual sale price, but that's not correct. For example, if you put an item up for sale for 100000 gold, you'll obviously get 85000 from it since the GAH transaction fee is 15%. Now if you'd try to multiply 85000 by 1.15, you'd get 97750, which is completely wrong. However, 85000 divided by 0.85 is 100000. As I said, I saw someone on a video doing this wrong and thought I'd point it out here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    Just FYI, you can't use the battle.net balance to buy wow subscriptions. You can use it to buy wow server transfers and other paid services but not game time.
    Can't you use battle.net balance on the blizzard store? because you can buy gametime on the Blizzard store... so just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Can't you use battle.net balance on the blizzard store? because you can buy gametime on the Blizzard store... so just wondering.
    From their FAQ

Note: At this time, Battle.net Balance may not be used for Blizzard Store purchases such as digital pets, mounts, or apparel and collectibles.
    What can I purchase with my Battle.net Balance?
    With Battle.net Balance, you can purchase:

World of Warcraft Character Services
    Appearance Change
    Faction Change
    Name Change
    Race Change
    Realm Transfer

World of Warcraft Guild Services
    Guild Faction Change
    Guild Name Change
    Guild Realm Transfer
    Guild Faction Change + Guild Name Change
    Guild Realm Transfer + Guild Faction Change + Guild Name Change
    Guild Realm Transfer + Guild Name Change

World of Warcraft Digital Upgrades
    WoW: Battle Chest to Wrath of the Lich King
    WoW: Battle Chest to Cataclysm
    Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm

Other Digital Blizzard Games
    Diablo II
    Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
    StarCraft II
    StarCraft Anthology
    Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
    Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

Note: Battle.net Balance may only be used on digital versions of the above games at this time. Battle.net Balance cannot be used to purchase physical copies of these games through the Blizzard Store.* Additionally, World of Warcraft Character and Guild Services are currently unavailable for purchase using AUD.
    Can I use my Battle.net Balance as the automatic payment method for my recurring World of Warcraft subscription?

No, recurring subscription payment options for World of Warcraft will continue to be offered via PayPal directly, PhoneBill, or credit card. Non-recurring subscriptions can be added using retail game time cards or purchasing game time from the Blizzard store with a credit card.
    Last edited by Starry101; 2012-06-18 at 03:44 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry101 View Post
    From their FAQ
    Note: At this time, Battle.net Balance may not be used for Blizzard Store purchases such as digital pets, mounts, or apparel and collectibles.
    They don't mention gametime there, but:

Non-recurring subscriptions can be added using retail game time cards or purchasing game time from the Blizzard store with a credit card.
    They've not actually directly said you can't use Battle.net Balance to purchase game time from the Blizzard store, but from what the quote says above I guess they're implying you can only buy game time from the store using a credit card.

Thanks for the quotes.

save for the paypal. it will give back your money on spending for a diablo's id lol

Deleted
    Paypal can be spent on almost anything, it can also be sent direct to your bank account (takes 7-10 days in the UK), where you can draw it out in cash obviously... but a great deal of online stores take paypal these days, and it's also used for most personal transactions such as ebay. I personally just send mine to my bank account once there's a fair bit in there.

The fee is $1 then -15% if you send to paypal, for armor/weapons. If you don't send to paypal it is a straight $1 fee and no percentage at all.
    When the commodities AH is up, it will be -15% + and additional -15% for paypal but there will be no $1 fee. If you don't send to paypal there is still an initial 15% fee like the gold AH.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Paypal can be spent on almost anything, it can also be sent direct to your bank account (takes 7-10 days in the UK), where you can draw it out in cash obviously... but a great deal of online stores take paypal these days, and it's also used for most personal transactions such as ebay. I personally just send mine to my bank account once there's a fair bit in there.

The fee is $1 then -15% if you send to paypal, for armor/weapons. If you don't send to paypal it is a straight $1 fee and no percentage at all.
    When the commodities AH is up, it will be -15% + and additional -15% for paypal but there will be no $1 fee. If you don't send to paypal there is still an initial 15% fee like the gold AH.
    Blizz and Paypal sure like making money (which is obviously nothing new of course) ^^ $1 off each armor sold and then another -15% lost sending to paypal... the robbery...

There is no reason currently to send your earnings to your Battle.net balance. Can't purchase anything from the store, can't give a game as a gift to a friend, can't purchase WoW time. The money is 100% useless until they fix this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Blizz and Paypal sure like making money (which is obviously nothing new of course) ^^ $1 off each armor sold and then another -15% lost sending to paypal... the robbery...
    Except you're paying nothing for the items you're selling. Time = money but it's still just time. So Blizzard/Paypal are taking a transaction fee off your profit which you're earning on Blizzard's IP. Not many business's would allow this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therec View Post
    There is no reason currently to send your earnings to your Battle.net balance. Can't purchase anything from the store, can't give a game as a gift to a friend, can't purchase WoW time. The money is 100% useless until they fix this.
    Except if you're planning on making purchases in the RMAH. If you use battle.net balance, you won't lose 15% of the proceeds as you do with PayPal. I'm sure there are a few people out there who have sold items for battle.net balance so they can buy items with that particular virtual currency.

How much do people usually make on these transactions? I'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Except if you're planning on making purchases in the RMAH. If you use battle.net balance, you won't lose 15% of the proceeds as you do with PayPal. I'm sure there are a few people out there who have sold items for battle.net balance so they can buy items with that particular virtual currency.
    Yep, I'm one of them, I cash out most of the stuff I sell to paypal. Though I sell stuff to my bnet balance so I keep roughly 100€ there. And I solely use bnet balance to buy stuff on the RMAH.

Reasoning is simple:
    100€ to paypal are 84€ for me to buy stuff on the RMAH
    100€ to bnet balance are 99€ for me to buy stuff on the RMAH

99€ are 117.8% of 84€

And then there's the fact that buying stuff with bnet balance is so much faster than with CC/paypal.

It's quite easy coin to bid on nice 3€ bid/15€ BO stuff and resell it for 10€bid/10€ BO

I really do like the RMAH...

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantViolet View Post
    How much do people usually make on these transactions? I'm just curious.
    Let's say, 15% fee totaled blizzard about 230€ and the 1€ fee for selling something got them ~150€ just from me.

Most of the stuff I sell is 10-20€ but some big ones are in there now and then.
    Last edited by Nyanmaru; 2012-06-18 at 07:00 PM.