Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ghom Trouble (Inferno)

Has anyone managed to kill him on Inferno since the patch?

As a Barbarian, I cannot stand in the gas clouds for more than a couple of seconds (could just be gear) and he will spawn two new ones (one on himself and one of myself) as soon as he walks over the previous ones, therefore making it impossible not to avoid the gas and attack him at the same time. Eventually, he will fill up every open spot in the entire room. I've tried kiting him around the edges of the room, even adding in a C-shaped path through the middle area once I make a complete circle, and the gas will just not dissipate fast enough to allow for a second round.

Edit, as of 3 days later:

Here's for all of you Barbarians who don't have that great of gear and aren't millionaires:

Last edited by Cinnamohn; 2012-06-23 at 09:01 PM.

I am having the exact same troubles, i have 862 LoH and 800-900 of each resist, i can survive for maybe 30 secs to a minute then no more room to run and hes at like 85-90% at the lowest...

Deleted
    try back backpedaling slowly, and only move as the gas spawns, around the outer edge of the room, the gas should despawn by the time you go all the way around.

I had problems at first but I learned to use the space available effectively.

Try to have the gas overlapping each other by standing on the very edge of an old one and kite around the outside to the inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    this shit is impossible. 200k+45 minutes. 40k dps wizzzz room fills with smoke.
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Quote Originally Posted by popcapking View Post
    i have 862 LoH
    the dr on LoH is pretty gnarly in inferno. you're only actually receiving 20% of that 862 on hit because of the difficulty.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    the dr on LoH is pretty gnarly in inferno. you're only actually receiving 20% of that 862 on hit because of the difficulty.
    You sir are thinking about lifesteal. LoH is additive so he is receiving the full 862.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    You sir are thinking about lifesteal. LoH is additive so he is receiving the full 862.
    not entirely true.

Life on hit is based on the attack used. I know for frenzy which i use, i only get 80% of my LoH per attack

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    not entirely true.

Life on hit is based on the attack used. I know for frenzy which i use, i only get 80% of my LoH per attack
    Oops you are right, it is % based on ability. Thanks for the correction!

I gave it a few attempts on my wiz, 49k dps, 42k hp. Found it to be pretty much pointless, the idea is you lay down the pools next to each other which is all well and good. However if you cant tank the adds you gotta move, and the space that gets left is what results in a room full of gas and nothing despawning.

They need to just take about 6-8 seconds off the gas timer and it would still be challenging without pushing it to impossible for most people.

We killed him last night.. tried a number of attempts with me (WD), another WD, and a Wiz. All of us are geared quite well. I'm Splinters spec, the other WD is bears tank spec. We could get him due to the number of clouds spawning and the rate at which they linger (ie, the almost never despawn). We tried stacking and moving as a group, we tried separating so the damage wouldn't stack, etc.

At the end, the wiz left and we got a Barb tank in with about 1150 resist and he tanked Ghom and we killed him in 1 try after that. But this took much more effort and coordiantion than the typical D3 fight so far. IMO, its more like a WOW raid boss.

I just attempted this on my wizard although i had done it pre-patch my barb friend was having troubles so i went to help and holy crap did they buff that boss we couldnt even get him below 75%.

Deleted
    I did it as a Wizard, it IS possible to avoid the gas like before just much much harder.

As a melee I imagine you simply need enough gear and LoH to tank through 1 cloud and only move when he stacks a 2nd on it.

There are some guides for barb for this boss. From what I have seen you may try to use superstition + seismic slam to kite the boss around. Superstition will fill your rage up the moment you step into gas so you can spam seismic slam over and over. But most are pre 1.0.3 so dunno.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Killed him in two attempts last night on my monk. Just back out to the edge of the cloud every single time he spits it out, don't delay for any reason, and keep slowly inching him around the outside of the room. If you've got a stun, hit him with it approximately 5 seconds after he's out of the cloud and near you, whenever you can (Monk: Blinding Flash). This hopefully extends the time you've got before he spits out another cloud, and even 10-20 extra seconds in a full walk around the room gives you plenty of extra space.

If you've got any way to do more DPS than usual, do it, because his enrage is pretty tight as melee. I swapped out my shield for a second weapon and dual wielded for him, for example.

It's doable, but it's certainly a brutal boss. I was unable to kill it in a group, had to solo it. A group would have to stay PERFECTLY stacked at all times, because having him spit out two cloud on two different people at range is basically a wipe.

Reminds me of that Naxx boss, what's his name... Grobulus.

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 04:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    I did it as a Wizard, it IS possible to avoid the gas like before just much much harder.

As a melee I imagine you simply need enough gear and LoH to tank through 1 cloud and only move when he stacks a 2nd on it.
    It is impossible to tank the cloud, as the damage ramps up extremely quickly, long before he puts up another cloud.

And I imagine if any ranged DPSer is unable to tank his slime adds, then he will basically be impossible to kill for you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kiting him around the outside of the room works, just go to the edge of each new gas cloud and attack him as he comes to you. So long as you don't leave a lot of space between them they will be disappearing when you have made a complete circle. The enrage is pretty cruel though, I had to switch to Conviction Aura for extra damage on my Monk, and I still barely got the kill (with effectively ~28k damage). Haven't fought him on my DH since before the patch, but I imagine you kinda have to kill him in one loop, or maybe shadowpower/gloom tank him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wtb a Barbarian doing it now. :P

I imagine a throwing barb would have absolutely no trouble at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I imagine a throwing barb would have absolutely no trouble at all.
    What would you do about the adds and healing though?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    What would you do about the adds and healing though?
    A throwing barb would be able to take them, I would think. If he got that far in Act 3, he certainly should be able to survive their hits anyways. Healing would be through LoH, since I think that's required for throwing barb. Otherwise... I'm sure a normal barb could kill him the same way I did on my monk, just backing up around the edge. :P