Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Because he took the form of that little kid who was killed when Shepard escaped earth. The same little kid that she dreams about 3 times. That's what irritated me. It was too much. It made no sense, why would the VI take form of that particular kid and how would it even know what that kid looks like?

Vigil made sense, it was a VI left behind by the Protheans as a warning and I'd assume that he'd take the form of a Prothean like Vendetta does if he wasn't so damaged. Vigil had a few plot surprises (OMG! THE CITADEL IS A MASS RELAY!!!!!) but rather than adding more questions to the game, the plot surprises answer questions. Why is Saren so interested in the Conduit? Because it'll get him to the Citadel where he can activate it and usher in the Reaper invasion. Now it makes sense.

Shepard being rebuilt at the start of ME2 is believable because life is a chemical reaction. An extremely complex chemical reaction, but a chemical reaction. I think it is very plausible that life can be created, that the dead can, with the right technology, be brought back. Now, would it be ethical? Would it even be the same person? Those are questions for another time, questions Shepard hints at later, asking if she's just a VI who think's she's Shepard (asked on Kronos Station.) Our bodies are organic machines, why can't they be rebuilt with advanced technology?

Vigil only makes sense because you can investigate with vigil and get all kinds of neat back story. That was the biggest problem with the star child, he lacks the depth that you got with Vigil. Again all of that, that you accept is explained very well in the game while the star child is not. Like the rebuilding of Shepard they go over in detail throughout the course of the game and eventually it sits will with you. So in both concept and execution it's great. However the star child while IMO a great concept (just like Vigil on Ilos) it was poorly executed (unlike Vigil on Ilos).

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    This argument I don't understand. Why is the star child any more bloody silly than a race of blue seductresses? Or bird men? or fantastic gel that can heal you from start to finish? or guns that don't need ammo at first but then later need ammo? Or bringing a man back from the dead? You've had to swallow so many incredulities over the years ONLY NOW you get indignant about the whole thing. Was Vigil on Ilos silly? He was a blurry VI that gave you the entire story in a couple seconds. What part of the star child made you say NO BIOWARE THIS FAR AND NO FURTHER?
    Blue seductresses - just a species taking advantage of their looks. Nothing new to see here.

Bird men - Aliens, period. There's lots of them in the ME universe if you hadn't noticed.

Fantastic gel - new technology that I consider analogous to a bandage and ointment. Helps close wounds and dull pain, doesn't magically make wounds disappear, as can be seen in certain Paragon interrupts that involve Shepard giving someone medigel. Keeps them alive and dulls pain until help arrives, nothing more.

Guns - improvements in technology. Nothing new to see here, either. Geth realized the weapon technology could be improved, so they improved it, and organics soon followed suit.

Bringing a man (or woman) back from the dead - been over this before. I see this is new technology combined with limitless resources and a woman who says "Fuck the impossible, I'm doing it."

Vigil - it made sense, it answered questions, it revealed answers to questions one likely had for the majority of the game, and it gave more depth to the story.

Starchild - Thrown at you from left field, presents you with three options that you have to take, without even so much as the opportunity to question why you have to take them or what will happen. Yes, you had limited time, but Shepard could've at least been like "Dafuq are you, dafuq is this, dafuq am I doing here, dafuq dafuq?!" It was the fact that it was options forced on you completely out of the blue with little to no explanation other than "Because I'm blue da ba de," and left me with more questions than I started with that annoyed me. I'm hoping the DLC on tuesday will help make the Starchild less of an object I'd like to slowly tear apart with pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by skyburn1 View Post
    While I've found an AI inhabiting the Citadel in Mass Effect 1, and it's arguments are basically the same as Starchild's in Mass Effect 3, and it's motivations aren't really different (reach out to the geth and try to investigate the rumors of a giant spaceship far more advanced than any other at the time), there's still a good chance it isn't EXACTLY connected to the ending in Mass Effect 3. Or maybe we all skipped the assignment to neutralize it in our playthroughs and that goddamned AI is the Starchild. Bazinga. Or not.
    Yes, I am being silly. Or at least trying to.

What they dislike about the starchild is that, while we could ask Vigil for information on most stuff there, we can't get good/reasonable explanations from the child, specially in the hows or whys of the problem.
    And I agree with that. The star child lacks depth. The concept itself is fantastic IMO and again much like Vigil on Ilos, it was just very poorly executed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengel View Post
    Honestly I find all this whining and complaining about the ending to be completely disrespectful. To all of you who think that they could've written a better ending...you couldn't have because only the original writers can make the ending that is best for their personal piece of storytelling. Did the endings kinda suck... yeah, but you know what I can still accept these as the endings. Try growing up and learning to accept a story's ending for what it is. Eddard Stark isn't coming back, nor is Doodle, just accept the ending as it is...You're making us look bad. Try showing some respect for once for the people who spent YEARS of their lives day in and day out producing the best damn product they could. Now they come out and say that they would like to give some more insight because the ending was vague...you should be THANKING them for their generosity. Authors of other medium cannot do that (honestly nor should they except for Ayn Rand's Anthem that got lost in the wording). No matter how "personally" attached (and I use that term VERY lightly because a human being should never become so vehemently attached to something so fragile as a couple of lines of code which is all your game save file is btw) you are to your ephemeral digital avatar it was never your story to begin with it was always Bioware's. /rant

Umm, Actually as a person who has paid good money for a piece of entertainment I am allowed to criticizes any and all of it. If i think Indian Jones part 4 dances with aliens was a bad movie I can say so, if I think the end of Mass Effect 3 was the worst ending to a major Sci-Fi series and basically ruined the game I can say so.

I can see you will sit through something even if you do not like it, and you will not say it s**ked when it is clear that it does, but do not tell others they can not state how they felt about something especially it it was pure and unadulterated crap. Many people felt this way about the End of Mass Effect 3 (Pointless Shooter with dreams of being an RPG set in space with the worst ending to a Sci-Fi since Alien 4). So yah, lets make this clear ME3 sucked monkey B***s. Of course to top off the bad ending Bioware in response to it's criticism said "...Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received."

What they basically said here and in several places was that fans didn't understand the ending to Mass Effect 3. That is actually known as a backhanded insult. Which frankly did insult me and a lot of others who understood the ending and felt it was "loc na mhuice".

I could go in to a dozen reasons why.

RPG style game, with an Action adventure style ending.
    No final boss fight
    Inconsistencies and plot holes
    Star Child <- WTF you meet the god of the reapers /facepalm
    You can't tell the star child to go f*** off

Can I write better dribble than that shit yes, and I do not claim to be a writer for a video game company famous for good writing.

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 08:32 PM ----------

This argument I don't understand. Why is the star child any more bloody silly than a race of blue seductresses? Or bird men? or fantastic gel that can heal you from start to finish? or guns that don't need ammo at first but then later need ammo? Or bringing a man back from the dead? You've had to swallow so many incredulities over the years ONLY NOW you get indignant about the whole thing. Was Vigil on Ilos silly? He was a blurry VI that gave you the entire story in a couple seconds. What part of the star child made you say NO BIOWARE THIS FAR AND NO FURTHER?
    Ok Here is a simple way to understand good writing from bad writing.

Did you set up a Protagonist? Shepard
    Did you set up an Antagonist? Reapers
    Did the story lead up to a final confrontation between the Protagonist and the Antagonist? No at the last moment Bioware switches to a conversation with a new Antagonist, who the Protagonist doesn't disagree with. /thread
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-06-24 at 03:32 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didnt we already have this conversation? Reading thru the last few post is giving me a sense of deja vu.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Didnt we already have this conversation? Reading thru the last few post is giving me a sense of deja vu.
    404 pages, conversations are bound to repeat themselves. Several times. lol

Deleted
    It makes sense in a way the ending discussion is being regurgitated once more now that the extended cut is only two days away, but that doesn't it from being incredibly silly.

Now discussing the new content after having played through it. That makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwing View Post
    It makes sense in a way the ending discussion is being regurgitated once more now that the extended cut is only two days away, but that doesn't it from being incredibly silly.

Now discussing the new content after having played through it. That makes more sense.
    Why is it silly? If people want to discuss it further, let 'em.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Why is it silly? If people want to discuss it further, let 'em.
    I have to agree it is silly....because its a dead horse that has been resurrected and killed, and then zombified and killed. Nothing new ever comes up in those conversations I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    I have to agree it is silly....because its a dead horse that has been resurrected and killed, and then zombified and killed. Nothing new ever comes up in those conversations I feel.
    Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. This thread probably gets a bunch of new readers a day that haven't seen said conversations further back in the thread, and hey, maybe they'd like to join in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Ok Here is a simple way to understand good writing from bad writing.

Did you set up a Protagonist? Shepard
    Did you set up an Antagonist? Reapers
    Did the story lead up to a final confrontation between the Protagonist and the Antagonist? No at the last moment Bioware switches to a conversation with a new Antagonist, who the Protagonist doesn't disagree with. /thread
    Diablo 3 has all of those and is probably the worst written story in a video game ever IMO. Yes the star child could have used better execution but the concept of it is sound and you've talked to plenty of spooky AIs in the past. Your list doesn't seperate good from bad as I could name any number of Hollywood movies built on that formula that sucked balls.

Deleted
    Practice makes perfect.
    Soon bioware will be reading MMO-C in addition to the other networks for information and userfeedback.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    2GB DLC, it better be something good... though I'm already expecting the worst =/
    26th, if it had came out today it would be a nice birthday present for me =D! (Yes, now that you know it, you may shut up about the ending and wish me a happy birthday and tell me how awesome I am, presents can go to my pm box!)

Edited: Hummm the game is about 10Gb, the DLC itself is 2Gb... I wonder if it's only 3 additional scenes as the supposed leak said.
    Edited2: Shadow Broker Lair is about the same size... with could mean fucking nothing at all ^^;

ALL of those are the endings we are getting.

Happy birthday, my greatest ME3 debate antagonist!

Deleted
    2GB DLC, it better be something good... though I'm already expecting the worst =/
    26th, if it had came out today it would be a nice birthday present for me =D! (Yes, now that you know it, you may shut up about the ending and wish me a happy birthday and tell me how awesome I am, presents can go to my pm box!)

Edited: Hummm the game is about 10Gb, the DLC itself is 2Gb... I wonder if it's only 3 additional scenes as the supposed leak said.
    Edited2: Shadow Broker Lair is about the same size... with could mean fucking nothing at all ^^;
    3.5gb of base ME3 is the actual out-of-engine cutscenes, of which there aren't too many :\

Diablo 3 has all of those and is probably the worst written story in a video game ever IMO. Yes the star child could have used better execution but the concept of it is sound and you've talked to plenty of spooky AIs in the past. Your list doesn't seperate good from bad as I could name any number of Hollywood movies built on that formula that sucked balls.
    People don't really play Diablo to immerse themselves in the story, and you do fight Diablo in the end...
    And you even said yourself they sucked balls

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    People don't really play Diablo to immerse themselves in the story, and you do fight Diablo in the end...
    And you even said yourself they sucked balls
    This is sad.
    I replayed the ME games 6-7 times, but i could barely stand to start D3 on hell once.
    Funny how Blizz expects people to play D3 40 times (4 difficulties per character, 2 characters per class, 5 classes) with such a poor story.
    You have no effect on the plot. You just run around and smack stuff in the face and other characters runs the show for you and every experience is identical.

Deleted
    Diablo with high heels & great tits... who can resist to that.
    Definatly the best part of the game.

I seem to recall Diablo also had some fine hips and curves to go with them...
    Diablo is the greatest transvestite i ever seen.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2012-06-24 at 11:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

Gratz fellow first phase Cancer-ian. I'm a bit luckier on days mine being Anti-X-Mas. I only have to wait one day.

I must agree with this. Not to mention in the end you get like "Congratz, you just fucked up everything with all that smacking!".
    Not to mentioned one of my fav. character in the game is bloody turned into what I find a actually attractive demon...

Diablo with high heels & great tits... who can resist to that.
    I probably would have liked the story more if it weren't painfully obvious by the end of the first act who would turn in to Diablo. I mean, an obviously feminine appearance to Diablo in concept art combined with a chick producing firey explosions killing everyone around her? C'mon.

I didn't even make it through Act 1 on Nightmare before I got bored of the game though. :/ Meanwhile, I've played ME1 through ME3 10 times easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    This is sad.
    I replayed the ME games 6-7 times, but i could barely stand to start D3 on hell once.
    Funny how Blizz expects people to play D3 40 times (4 difficulties per character, 2 characters per class, 5 classes) with such a poor story.
    You have no effect on the plot. You just run around and smack stuff in the face and other characters runs the show for you and every experience is identical.
    To be fair, this is what Diablo is all about. The story has never been the focus point, it's been all about killing hordes of monsters and getting phat lewt, in order to kill more hordes of monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    To be fair, this is what Diablo is all about. The story has never been the focus point, it's been all about killing hordes of monsters and getting phat lewt, in order to kill more hordes of monsters.
    But Diablo and Diablo 2 at least had an interesting storyline to go along with the massive amounts of killing. Diablo 3... not so much.