[TV] Game of Thrones casting errors..

First of all, I just want to point out any of what I say is purely my opinion. Secondly, all other opinions are welcome, including any characters I fail to mention or reasons why you disagree but please try to keep it civil.

Lastly, if your comments contain spoilers, please give adequate warning for anyone who may not have read the books or be up to date in the television series and attempt to conceal it (ie font colour).

Ok here goes..

Margery Tyrell - This may come across as somewhat shallow as her acting is definitely acceptable, but in the book she's described as a beauty to rival Cersei (while I don't think Cersei is anything special either, she's certainly much more attractive than Margery).

Melisandre - Do not want. Her character is supposed to be incredibly charismatic and beautiful, not to mention I feel like they've completely changed her persona. Maybe it's just how I read her lines in the book, but she didn't come across nearly as arrogant and bitchy(?) as she does in the series. She was definitely confident, and devoted, but arrogant wasn't a word I'd use.

Stannis Baratheon - His look and his character is too soft. I've not watched the entire season so I'm hoping his character evolves, but he was harder or look and had a delicate ego; his temper would quickly flare up if someone challenged something he thought was right or said he was wrong.

Gilly - When I saw who they cast for Gilly I was excited, she was one of my favorite actors in the TV show skins (along with the guy that plays Gendry) and was absolutely shocked by her acting.. That was some of the worst acting I've ever seen from her which was really disappointing.

I don't really consider any of what I just wrote to be spoilers, but I've tried to conceal it nevertheless. You know what to do!

I actually have 100 other complaints about changes they made to the story and characters etc, but I don't think anyone wants to read an essay. That said, this one of the highest production quality TV shows I've ever seen and, had I not read the books prior, would be hands down my favourite TV show of all time. I understand the need for some of the changes, but others just baffle me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skip to around 17:00

I thought Margery Tyrell was pretty hot tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Wely View Post
    Yeah, I can imagine how frustrating that must be him.. Seeing his creations manipulated to appeal to a larger audience.
    I was already pretty much aware of George's stance of the series, I was hoping for response regarding the casting of certain characters you thought were poorly done (or even those you thought were well done).

I'm admittedly liking some of the exchanges between Tywin and Arya which never happened in the books.

Jaqen H'ghar is pretty well cast I think.

Yeah I suppose it comes down to the individual, and as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, there's something about her eyes that creep me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    I keep thinking "Why is Anne Boleyn in Westeros?"

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    I actually have 100 other complaints about changes they made to the story and characters etc, but I don't think anyone wants to read an essay. That said, this one of the highest production quality TV shows I've ever seen and, had I not read the books prior, would be hands down my favourite TV show of all time. I understand the need for some of the changes, but others just baffle me.
    While I do certainly understand the stance of the author I personally think they did a good job on the show. And well you already more or less said it yourself it's pretty pointless anyways to really compare a book to a tv show. I also read the book beforehand but just decided to view both as separate products that don't really have anything to do with each other which greatly reduces the chance to be disappointed by changes or shortcomings of characters that will always come.

Quote Originally Posted by Wely View Post
    I suppose it's good that the show didn't stray from his artistic vision in that regard, then? Season 1, especially the pilot, was insanely true to the book. Season two is the one that's diverged quite a bit, but one of the biggest differences (Arya and Tywin) is widely considered to be the best part of the entire series.

And OP, wait until Blackwater. You'll be redacting your statements about Stannis

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched both seasons of the show before ever reading the books. Right now I am roughly halfway through the second book. So far there is only one problem, and it's so minor that it's probably just me, but I really miss seeing the interactions with Rickon in the show that you see in the book. I mean, he is only a kid of 4 but it really puts Bran's life in Winterfell into a little perspective being the 9 year old who is trying to find his way from being a child himself into being the Stark at Winterfell. Otherwise, I have really enjoyed what I have seen and read. The casting has been pretty well done, some of the characters don't look as I imagined, but to me it doesn't really take anything away from my imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I suppose it's good that the show didn't stray from his artistic vision in that regard, then? Season 1, especially the pilot, was insanely true to the book. Season two is the one that's diverged quite a bit, but one of the biggest differences (Arya and Tywin) is widely considered to be the best part of the entire series.

And OP, wait until Blackwater. You'll be redacting your statements about Stannis
    How about Robb and Talisa or the fact that Arya didn't kill anyone, and Jaqen told her that the FM will help her kill the people on her list ? Those two changes are practically character assassinations especially the first one.
    Oh and regarding Margaery, her age is a far bigger concern to me than her appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by exogenesis1203 View Post
    How about Robb and Talisa or the fact that Arya didn't kill anyone, and Jaqen told her that the FM will help her kill the people on her list ? Those two changes are practically character assassinations especially the first one.
    Character assasinations is extremely melodramatic. In the first instance, the character in question who was changed is hardly an important one, and acted no different to change Robb than her equivalent in the ASoS. In the latter, Arya had already killed somebody by this point, which is ultimately the crux of the issue -- not making her an innocent girl anymore. Not to mention in the books she already had it in her head that the Faceless Men would help her kill who she desired, which again doesn't change character outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Character assasinations is extremely melodramatic. In the first instance, the character in question who was changed is hardly an important one, and acted no different to change Robb than her equivalent in the ASoS. In the latter, Arya had already killed somebody by this point, which is ultimately the crux of the issue -- not making her an innocent girl anymore. Not to mention in the books she already had it in her head that the Faceless Men would help her kill who she desired, which again doesn't change character outcomes.
    Yes, you are right about Talisa herself, her personality or background is of no importance. The problem is Robb. Instead of getting injured on a battle away from Riverrun, then received news regarding Bran/Rickon's "death", Jeyne tending to his emotional and physical wounds and had comfort sex and he decided to marry her out of honor the next day, TVRobb suddenly acted like a stupid horny teenagers who decided he's gonna break the oath to the Freys because he's just so hopelessly in love, even after Cat telling her flat out that doing that to the Freys will bite him in the ass eventually, heck, he probably at least in part married Talisa just to spite Cat. So we go from a competent military commander who was stricken with grief and had a lapse of judgement and did what he think is honorable, to a horny teenager who doesn't give a fuck about his advisers' counsel. After that stupid scene with Cat, I was almost glad to know what's waiting down the line for him.

Quote Originally Posted by exogenesis1203 View Post
    Yes, you are right about Talisa herself, her personality or background is of no importance. The problem is Robb. Instead of getting injured on a battle away from Riverrun, then received news regarding Bran/Rickon's "death", Jeyne tending to his emotional and physical wounds and had comfort sex and he decided to marry her out of honor the next day, TVRobb suddenly acted like a stupid horny teenagers who decided he's gonna break the oath to the Freys because he's just so hopelessly in love, even after Cat telling her flat out that doing that to the Freys will bite him in the ass eventually, heck, he probably at least in part married Talisa just to spite Cat. So we go from a competent military commander who was stricken with grief and had a lapse of judgement and did what he think is honorable, to a horny teenager who doesn't give a fuck about his advisers' counsel. After that stupid scene with Cat, I was almost glad to know what's waiting down the line for him.
    That's your personal interpretation of book-Robb. His exposure is severely limited in ASoS and ACoK, and the explanation given for promising himself to Jeyne is also cursory at best, and given only in the form of a retaliation in a conversation. It's never specified how he acted when in the West, aside from being told that he's won all his battles and Jeyne cared for him at some point. It could be interpreted that he acted only out of honor, but no such thing is actually specified. Personally, I found it an incredibly rash behavior befitting of his youth, and likely the result of arrogance developed over winning battles.

@Badpaladin - It's a really tricky one for me.. I love the interaction between Tywin and Arya but at the same time it completely changes Tywins character.. The Tywin in the book hadn't smiled since his wife died giving birth to Tyrion, and yet he smiles several times with Arya.

I'm not bothered by Robb and Talisa (Jeyne), while it does change the story a bit, it doesn't change the outcome.
    @Badpaladin - I think it is actually pretty clearly stated that he marries her for the sake of honour. Exogenesis was fairly spot on with the Robb and Jeyne relationship (from what I remember of the book anyway).

@exogenesis1203 - I agree about the age issue, the actor is nearly twice the characters age (if not more than double).
    Last edited by Schmiggy; 2012-06-26 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    @Badpaladin - It's a really tricky one for me.. I love the interaction between Tywin and Arya but at the same time it completely changes Tywins character.. The Tywin in the book hadn't smiled since his wife died giving birth to Tyrion, and yet he smiles several times with Arya.
    GRRM:
    "Every once in a very long while, Lord Tywin Lannister would actually threaten to smile; he never did, but the threat alone was terrible to behold."

I don't know what you constitute as a smile, but the half-smirks he does give to Arya perfectly fit that description.

I'm not bothered by Robb and Talisa (Jeyne), while it does change the story a bit, it doesn't change the outcome.
    @Badpaladin - I think it is actually pretty clearly stated that he marries her for the sake of honour. Exogenesis was fairly spot on with the Robb and Jeyne relationship (from what I remember of the book anyway).
    The explanation given is in a chapter in the perspective of Cat. His explanation is one given in retaliation to his mother's repeated displeasure with his decision. It's nowhere made clear that his [I]true[/I] intention was honroable, because we are never given his PoV perspective on the matter. There are many theories that have surfaced -- that he did it for honor, that he did it for lust, that he did it because he did not want to sire a bastard -- but none are concrete.