Poll: Should you be given blood, if you dont give blood?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Should you be given blood, if you dont give blood?

So I was debating this with a friend earlier,

If you one day need a life saving operation, which requires you to have a blood transfusion etc. Should you be given the blood if you have never given blood before?

(Excluding people not of age in your respective country e.g. minors)

EDIT

Also excluding people who can't give blood, for example some of the ones mentioned,

Men with male sexual partners
    Anemic

Also keep it on topic, examples like these that were posted...

Should anyone who isn't a lawyer get legal aid?
    Should anyone who isn't a chef be allowed into restaurants?
    Should anyone who isn't a game designer be allowed to play WoW?

These are business's and not a life / death situation which the topic is about, tbh
    Last edited by Rotted; 2012-06-28 at 04:16 PM.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    of course you should.
    I really do not understand why anyone would argue against this.

Deleted
    Tough one. I am very liberal so I believe in freedom of choice. On the other hand it is kind of like supporting a parasite. So I am going to go with no blood donated means no blood for you.

Some people are actually prohibited from donating blood because they are considered too high risk.

But aside from those kinds of situations where you were prohibited, of course you should still be given blood. The whole point is to try to save lives where possible, and not simply to weed out who we arbitrarily think deserve to be saved or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    of course you should.
    I really do not understand why anyone would argue against this.
    If enough people do not donate then we will be in trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Tough one. I am very liberal so I believe in freedom of choice. On the other hand it is kind of like supporting a parasite. So I am going to go with no blood donated means no blood for you.
    Should we save the lives of those who have not saved the lives of others?

Edit: Because reading comprehension seems to be a bit lacking, I would like to put this out there: this is a question I asked Rich. I voted "Yes" in the poll. Now stop bothering me about it.
    Last edited by Grizzly Willy; 2012-06-28 at 05:15 PM.

Ofcourse they should get blood. Whatever the reason for them not donating blood, a human life is a human life... Letting someone die because he never donated blood is pretty ridiculous imo. Should we stop donating money to Africa or disaster struck areas aswell? They never helped us out, right?

I'd understand that POV if we're talking about some hobo who never did or tried to accomplish something in his life, but just because someone didn't donate blood. :/ Dunno, I never donated myself though, maybe I'm too biased. If the blood bank ever cries out that there's a huge shortage I'll donate, other then that I don't think I would, I never really thought about donating before.

A bit off topic: You'd just let people donate blood and that blood is used to save yourself if you ever have a shortage, it wouldn't be used to save anyone else, that'd make a tiny little bit of sense I guess, compared to no donation, no blood.
    Last edited by ophion1990; 2012-06-28 at 03:38 PM.

As long as there is enough blood - if there is a shortage you should restrict it to those who donate and then make it possible for large amounts of people who donate at the same time.

then again - even with a shortage it should probably just be about triage anyway

Yeah.....I don't donate blood just so that I can receive someone else's blood when and if I need it. It's a gift, and a gift is something that is given freely - without a requirement.

I give from the heart

What if you have a very incompatible blood type?

Deleted
    Should anyone who isn't a doctor get medical treatment?

Should anyone who isn't a lawyer get legal aid?

Should anyone who isn't a chef be allowed into restaurants?

Should anyone who isn't a game designer be allowed to play WoW?

Clever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Donating a pint of blood a month is no big deal, it would also mean we would never be short. Hospitals struggle getting enough blood, that needs to be addressed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, gay men are screwed if this were a reality. We're prohibited from donating blood, unless we haven't slept with a guy yet.

So, I vote "Yes".

When they stop turning away my blood because it comes from a transgendered person, then they can start declaring that I don't deserve it if I don't donate.

Until then, they can kiss my round tranny ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    What if you have a very incompatible blood type?
    Even better, rare blood types are very sought after.

Should you get food if you have never produced any food?

10+ Year Old Account
    So because I'm anemic I can't get blood to save my life? Sorry but your views are quite fucked.

If enough people do not donate then we will be in trouble.
    Here in Canada, there are lifelong bans placed on people when it comes to blood donation, even if they're healthy (Like if a man ever has sex with another man, even while protected). I say if donations are so important, they should work on abolishing stupid bans like this. (Some people argue it's to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS, but the demographic with the highest transmission of HIV is teenage females who've had sex with bisexual males and that situation doesn't get a ban)

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    So if i've never donated blood but donated to charity for orphanage and other stuff i'm still should be considered Lower-Grade Citizen then you? Pff

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes because it's there to save lives regardless of who's life you're saving. It's not always a matter of choice. My fiancee is not allowed to give blood because of where she lived during a certain time period. That's all it took for her to become ineligible. Does that mean she doesn't deserve to have her life saved if she was in an accident? Hell no!